Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12V Socket Removal

Alec J

The other day my girlfriends keys fell into the socket making it pop. Checked the fuse and that seems fine yet no power at socket end so presuming its blown it.

How easy is it to replace the socket as i use it quite often for charging my ipod and the phone while using google maps.

Thanks

Alec

They're a pain to remove.

There's two small square notches inside the socket barrel that sit next to the sprung metal flaps.

You need to compress both to free the socket from it's collar and pull the socket out at the same time.

I'm assuming it's the socket in the cubby on your lower dash?

If so removing the drivers side footwell kick panel means you can get your hand in behind and push the socket out while someone compresses the catches (I say catches but in reality they are just two small plastic nubs).

Yeah it is that one, thats the only socket my car has unless theres a hidden one i havent found yet haha!

Something like this would be a perfect replacement?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-FORD-GENUINE-12V-Auxiliary-Additional-Power-Socket-MONDEO-FOCUS-C-MAX-KUGA-/161049412044?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AFord%7CModel%3AFocus%7CPlat_Gen%3AMK+II&hash=item257f4b01cc

Alec

silly question, but have you checked the fuses?

Yeah i checked the fuse under passenger footwell, looked at the chart for 12V DC and number F79 (I think it was)

Checked with my bulb driver and lights up both sides showing the fuse had power flowing through.

Alec

Pull the side panel off, unplug the socket from it's connector and apply a volt meter across the plugs terminals (positive is the one that lines up with the terminal attached to the middle of the socket).

If nothing shows then the wire may be fused somewhere or as suspected the socket itself has flash soldered itself due to the metal intrusion with no resistance in place.

Its one of those things that a blown fuse, if you look at it at the right angle and in the right light, it can look fine! (been there, done that!)

Hi guys,

Back with an update...

So today my socket came and i began work on installing it. Took side panel off and played with the clips, removed the socket. Inserted new socket replaced the plug back on expecting it to work.

Still no power to the socket so im presuming the old socket was still working but no power getting to it. I tested the plug with my power tester and no power is getting to the plug.

So i checked the fuse again took it out and its clearly in good condition with no breaks or any signs of burns. I tested both sides of the fuse with my power tester which lit up to show power is flowing through it.

Any ideas what it could be? Really annoying as i use it to charge my ipod, phone and mainly satnav when i go away.

I suspect you're looking at the wrong fuse. Have you checked others?

yeah turned out to be a different fuse..

Picture sort of looks like a !Removed! lol but wouldnt of found it without checking all fuses.

Thought it was the fuse marked 12v

Erm i think it was F49.

It was along the top row of the fuses, yellow fuse 20a

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club