Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

why do people drive around in the daytime with there headlights on

fiesta_lad

I cant understand why do u see people drive around in the daytime with there headlights on its just point less does anyone understand way they do it

No but it winds me up to, espically when it's an VOLVO GRR!!

i know its mainy volvo that do it lol r they saying look at me ive got a volvo lol

Who knows why they do it. I know my Grandad did on his and it !Removed! me off back then.

It also annoys me when boy racers but their fog lights on... why? you dont look cool!

Volvo's run with lights on all the time as in Sweden its used as a safety feature and has been proved to reduce accidents.

Have a listen to this song, it sort of explains why people drive with lights on in the day.

Who knows why they do it. I know my Grandad did on his and it !Removed! me off back then.

It also annoys me when boy racers but their fog lights on... why? you dont look cool!

i know plus the !Removed! blind you when there up your !Removed! trying to park there car in your boot best thing for that just tap your breaks they soon back off lol

as an ex biker i can understand why people run with them on, its easier to see a light from a distance than a vechial.

I am guilty as charged!! I drive with my lights! Even more so when i am towing my trailers around as they are 7ft6inch wide!! and as mintalkin says its far more easier to see lights coming down the road! especially when you have your shades on driving through a tree covered road and there are many many STUPID drivers out there who think they can drive!!!! i do many miles a year all over the place and i have had some very near misses over the years so its just a safety thing for me personally!! so sorry if i have blinded you in the past but i will continue to drive safe! LOOK OUT FOR BIKERS its coming into the biker weather and there are some real risk takers out there!! Dont just drive for yourself drive for every other mother fucXer too

I am guilty as charged!! I drive with my lights! Even more so when i am towing my trailers around as they are 7ft6inch wide!! and as mintalkin says its far more easier to see lights coming down the road! especially when you have your shades on driving through a tree covered road and there are many many STUPID drivers out there who think they can drive!!!! i do many miles a year all over the place and i have had some very near misses over the years so its just a safety thing for me personally!! so sorry if i have blinded you in the past but i will continue to drive safe! LOOK OUT FOR BIKERS its coming into the biker weather and there are some real risk takers out there!! Dont just drive for yourself drive for every other mother fucXer too

i understand now. now i know why people do it

Volvo's run with lights on all the time as in Sweden its used as a safety feature and has been proved to reduce accidents.

Have a listen to this song, it sort of explains why people drive with lights on in the day.

A legal requirement too since 1977 in Sweden.

Where's the song link dude?

Sorry, thought i posted it.

just google it and found this

Roy Milnes has drawn our attention to the Drivers Against Daytime Running Lights campaign, of which he is the UK Co-ordinator. Among other things, the campaign is based on the assertions that the lights are distracting to other road users; that they contravene rule 94 of the Highway Code; that they fail too soon because of extended use; and that they create pollution because of the extra engine power needed to run them.

All this, of course, is aimed squarely at Volvo, whose cars run on dipped headlights even when the light switch is set to the "off" position, though it's also possible to run on sidelights only. The company is based in Sweden, where daytime running lights have been mandatory since 1977.

Volvo defends its policy of keeping the system in its cars even when they are sold in countries - like the UK - where it is not a legal requirement. "Volvo stands by its experience with Day Running lights as a contributor to improving road safety for vulnerable road users (particularly the elderly, children) around dawn and dusk when it is essential for vehicles to be seen," a spokesman told us.

"Mr Milne's campaign is a long-running one but, given the increased number of countries making Day Running Lights mandatory, the experts seem to support our views and those of the Swedish authorities rather than Mr Milne's."

I have a mate with a mk6 fiesta celebration and he drives with his side lights on because he thinks it looks mean when coming down the road. I think that it is a personal choice and in the day it doesn't affect you when you go against or with the traffic and they are on. Fogs really !Removed! me off though at night because you can't see past them and then have like blots on your eyes when they have passed you really hate people with their fogs on when they don't need to be. Police should start pulling them over more often and giving out the fines.

I have a mate with a mk6 fiesta celebration and he drives with his side lights on because he thinks it looks mean when coming down the road. I think that it is a personal choice and in the day it doesn't affect you when you go against or with the traffic and they are on. Fogs really !Removed! me off though at night because you can't see past them and then have like blots on your eyes when they have passed you really hate people with their fogs on when they don't need to be. Police should start pulling them over more often and giving out the fines.

I agree, sidelights dont make a difference day or night. You're right about the front fog lights, its actually debateable imo if they ever really need to be on as alot of cars aren't even fitted with them! I think the highway code says visability has to be less than 100m to have them on, and this is very very rare. This problem is getting worse and more and more people are driving around with all their lights on all the time. The police need a zero tolerance on this, even if only for a couple of months, the word would soon get around...

I agree, sidelights dont make a difference day or night. You're right about the front fog lights, its actually debateable imo if they ever really need to be on as alot of cars aren't even fitted with them! I think the highway code says visability has to be less than 100m to have them on, and this is very very rare. This problem is getting worse and more and more people are driving around with all their lights on all the time. The police need a zero tolerance on this, even if only for a couple of months, the word would soon get around...

Agree with sidelights, but visibility under 100m where i am is common place. I am around 15 miles from the coast and the fog we get sometimes is crazy. I've seen it many times where you cant see more than 5m in front of you and if you meet a car coming in the opposite direction without fog lights on, you can only see them when they are around 20m in front of you.

Admitedly driving with fogs on in the day when they are not needed are a royal pain in the gentleman's seating area.

Agree with sidelights, but visibility under 100m where i am is common place. I am around 15 miles from the coast and the fog we get sometimes is crazy. I've seen it many times where you cant see more than 5m in front of you and if you meet a car coming in the opposite direction without fog lights on, you can only see them when they are around 20m in front of you.

Admitedly driving with fogs on in the day when they are not needed are a royal pain in the gentleman's seating area.

Glad you agree ;)

i agree people who drive with there fog lights on are a pain in the !Removed! and the police should crack down not only issue fines but points has well o and another thing people who drive around with full beam on that gets me going no need not so ever

NOT SURE ABOUT WHERE YOU LIVE PEOPLE ,BUT HERE IN STAFFORDSHIRE I HAVE NOTICED THE LAST 12 MONTHS THAT ALL BUSES HAVE HEADLIGHTS ON IN THE DAY NOT SURE IF THIS IS A REQUIREMENT FOR THEM NOW ,IF YOU KNOW TELL US GUYS :huh:

I think that using your front fogs is only sensible if it helps the driver to see better in certain conditions.

Rear fogs, obviously, are there to guard your bum from those idiots who drive too quickly in the poor conditions for them to stop in time if you have to slow/stop for any reason. People who turn them on and then forget about them when conditions improve can and cause untold harm by constantly blinding those behind them. Potentially nasty, if only because their brightness can conceal brake lights from said blinded drivers! I wish drivers would THINK, dammit! :angry:

In contrast (bad pun, sorry :wacko: ), using normal dipped headlights in daylight is as much to draw your attention to other road users as it is to help you to see. Whether or not this is proved scientifically to help is immaterial now and not worth arguing about, surely. The fact is that if most drivers do this, then those who do not switch on will disappear in the gloom and simply won't be seen so readily. All or nothing, it seems to me!

As a biker, I am pleased that nearly all bikes now have to have their lights on permanently, removing rider preference from the equation. It doesn't matter whether or not we agree to this. The fact is that anybody who can claim to see the one 'lights off' bike in a line of well-lit traffic without really looking for him - and sadly most car drivers do not really look for bikers - is fibbing!

And yes, I agree with those who say that driving with low-level front fogs on when conditions don't demand it is irritating, unnecessarily blinding and soooooo uncool!

Hurrumph!

;)

people who drive with front fogs on really wind me up, esp if its during the day. a few people i know have taken to just flashing at them, maybe they'll realise but i doubt it. also if someone comes flying up behind you with either fogs or fully beam on a quick flash of the back fogs can make em back off.

i did hear of a lad who wired up his back fogs to flash intermitantly, when he put those on people backed right off his car!

people who drive with front fogs on really wind me up, esp if its during the day. a few people i know have taken to just flashing at them, maybe they'll realise but i doubt it. also if someone comes flying up behind you with either fogs or fully beam on a quick flash of the back fogs can make em back off.

i did hear of a lad who wired up his back fogs to flash intermitantly, when he put those on people backed right off his car!

Maybe we should be a bit kinder to these people... possibly they have some sort of mental retardation that causes them to think its foggy, if this is the case then maybe they also crap themselves while driving...

At night I light to have my fogs on down country lanes just to see either side of the road a bit better. In all honestly I leave them on without noticing seeing as the button for them is usually hidden from my view by the steering wheel and there's not notification on the dash. The day I got my xr2i i got pulled for foglights on in the day, in that case I didn't even notice any of my lights were on!

At night I light to have my fogs on down country lanes just to see either side of the road a bit better. In all honestly I leave them on without noticing seeing as the button for them is usually hidden from my view by the steering wheel and there's not notification on the dash. The day I got my xr2i i got pulled for foglights on in the day, in that case I didn't even notice any of my lights were on!

i can understand if your driveing down a dark country lane and you put them on to see better but all these chavs that drive round with them on all the time are just plane simple nob heads it dont look good just looks like your bind and cant see were you are going they should make a feature on all cars with front fog lights they only come on when its foggy.

• 1 month later...