Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weird Range Gauge Problem!

Sweeney367

Car: 2009 mk7 ford fiesta zetec 1.25

It's the bit on the trip computer that tells you how many miles you got left in the tank.

I refuelled today and when I got back in the car it still said what it did before as did the fuel gauge.. I drove the car around the block rocking the car to see if the sender was stuck. The range counter started counting up slowly like the trip counter does and the fuel gauge went up with it. It sometimes goes up if I drive sensibly but it went up 200 miles in total. The faster I drove the quicker it went up until it matched the fuel in the tank and started going down again. Any ideas what it is? Once I've used some fuel I'll fill up again to see of the problems still there but just want a heads up if it's expensive this close to Christmas..

Thanks in advance!

If it's like the Mondeo I had, If I only put a small amount of fuel in (ie didn't fill right up), it would always take several miles of driving for the gauge and trip computer to register the new fuel level.

Jim

I put £30 in so that's roughly 20ish ltrs so should have moved it? It usually moves straight away even if I put £5-10 in it :S

Certainly sounds like an issue at the Fuel Sender Unit. Drive your car over some rough terrain or hit a speed bump or two, that should loosen it up.

Took it over a few cheeky speed bumps.. Works a treat now (: cheers James!

I once filled mine with diesel from practically empty. Started the car, gauge stuck at the bottom and range continued to read whatever it did before. I turned it off, then back on again, and it jumped up to 600+ miles range and the gauge went to full.

Crazy. It's only ever done that once, never before or since.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club