Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water In Passengers Footwell

yozza64

Hi guys I really need your help. For some time now I have been getting water collecting in the front passenger footwell, and no where else. Have had the wife directing a hosepipe over the area I thought it was coming in from, but could not see any water dripping/running inside the car.

I have now done the usual things like:-

1) Replaced Pollen Filter and resealed behind it. Water still getting in.

2) Removed inner door seal as it looked like it was getting in there. Used silicon sealant around the lip and groove of door seal. Water still getting in.

3) Had door card off and everything seems ok.

Have also checked in boot which seems dry. Also n/s rear carpet seems dry as well.

I used to really love this car, but its now getting to the stage of I don't care anymore, but need to really get this water leak sorted out.

Any advice would be very grateful, as I feel like putting a match to it as its doing my head in.

Its possibly the windscreen seal is loose or worn somewhere.Take the cownling off at the bottom of the windscreen and check for signs of water ingress around there.

I had a Sierra many years ago which developed a small boating lake around the driver's feet. After a lot of messing about I eventually traced the leak - the rear light cluster seal had gone! You said your boot carpet isn't wet, but I don't think my boot carpet was wet either, but I was able to trace the route which the water was taking through the boot, through the OSR passenger footwell (where I don't think the carpet was wet either) and into the driver's footwell. Replaced the seal (okay, bodged a load of silicone bath sealant into the gap!), pumped the lake out with the VAX, dry tootsies again!

As another thought, have you got a sunroof? Sunroofs always leak, so there should be pipes in each corner of the aperture which lead the water harmlessly away. If they get blocked or split the water will go somewhere else. If the Mondeo is anything like the Mk3 Granada there will be pipes running from the front corners of the aperture down inside the windscreen side pillars. They became blocked on my Granada, but this resulted in a wet head rather than wet feet! Might be worth finding the holes in the corners of your sunroof aperture, if the Mondeo is the same, and pouring a few pints of water down them and see if anything then runs into the footwell.

when you said resealed the pollen filter did this include the scuttle panel.

No my car has no sun roof. Was thinking of resealing around the lights anyway

When I resealed around the pollen filter it was where the pollen filter housing butts up against the bulkhead. When I remove the scuttle panel to get to the pollen filter there was no sealant at all in that area. Didn't know there was meant to be sealant on the scuttle panel. If there was where about is it meant to be.

on the back of the scuttle panel there should be a rubber seal which fits against the windscreen, these often get damaged so the water from the screen runs under the scuttle panel through the pollen filter to the footwell,its a common problem on the mondeo.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club