Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Start Pending

greatdj_123

Hi everyone. New member here requiring some advice if anyone can help me.

I have a brand new C max literally 6 months old now, noticed a message a couple of days ago straight after starting the engine up....

ENGINE START PENDING

Can anyone tell me if this is something or nothing to worry about as it comes up after starting the engine and not before (weird I know)

Regards

Andy

Sounds odd, it sounds like something hasnt clicked in.

Is this the latest shape CMAX or is it the MK1.5 (facelift?)

Is that Keyless or Standard keyed setup? also is it push button start, or again, traditional barrel and key?

Standard barrel and key. Not keyless

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Ford OC mobile app

sounds like its probably a software update needed. given the age of the car, take it back to the dealer and get them to sort it for you!

Hmm OK. its due in to the dealer beginning of Jan for winter check up so will mention it and see what they say. Will let you know what they say on the issue just for reference etc for the forum. Thanks again.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Ford OC mobile app

Will definitely be good to know :D

Definitely up to the Dealers to resolve this on what's basically a brand new car.

Yes it's a strange one

Do let us know how it goes and what the fix is! I would be surprised if it isnt just a PCM update though.

Just been searching google about this and found your topic.

I have a 9 month old Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi. It's the new shape.

I have this aswell. Only seems when it's cold but once I start the engine it flashes up.

Will have to book it into ford to see what's the fault.

Strange.

Hi guys. Well got the car back from the dealer regarding the fault. They carried out a PCM check and no fault codes showed up,so have not fixed anything. They told me to monitor the problem and if it still persists to re book it in again for another check.

This seems ridiculous why not do everything you can on the first appointment!!! GRRRRRRR!!!!!

Just thought I would let you know as some of you were asking.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

It peeves me when dealers say this! they should be more proactive, especially at the fee that you pay them for the diagnostic.

Definately keep a diary of it, just jot down everything, time, temperature, exact replication steps (key in, turned to 2 and error or whatever it may be)

If you need to take it back to them, insist its the same fault as before and refuse to pay a diagnostics fee if you already have as its the same problem and you are not willing to pay twice!

Yeah got all the info I need already. Even showed them a picture of the wording displayed on the screen. Seems to still come up first thing when engine is cold so it will be going back at some point but not got any time off to take it for a while now. It doesn't stop me driving it but I still want answers as there is clearly an issue. Keep you guys posted.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone. New member here requiring some advice if anyone can help me.

I have a brand new C max literally 6 months old now, noticed a message a couple of days ago straight after starting the engine up....

ENGINE START PENDING

Can anyone tell me if this is something or nothing to worry about as it comes up after starting the engine and not before (weird I know)

Is your C-Max a diesel if so is there a short delay between either turning the key or pressing the start button and the engine cranking ? If so it's normal it's just the glow plugs pre-heating the cylinders but should only do it on cold mornings.

Regards

John

Andy

• 5 years later...

I have a 2013 Ford C Max & when I tried to start it 4 hrs ago I get a message saying Engine Start Pending. This is twice this has happened now. It was fine yesterday. Any advice. 

I have same problem. Push button start & since this morning says Engine start pending it’s a C Max 2013. Just won’t start. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Grand Cmax 2017 and Engine Start Pending appears for a few seconds when starting on very cold mornings but does not cause any problems etc.

On 1/19/2020 at 4:27 PM, Tracie said:

I have same problem. Push button start & since this morning says Engine start pending it’s a C Max 2013. Just won’t start. 

You just have to leave your foot on the clutch for a bit longer, then it will,start its the glow plugs heating up that causes the delay the colder it is the longer the wait.

Yes Pete's right mine does it all the time when cold , it kicks in more or less straight away . But yes in cold weather give the glow plugs time to work. I don't see any problem really. And mines an Auto

• 1 year later...

yeh i had same problem with ford custom it has happend 3 times now and i think its becuse of cold weather i got the van in Oct and now its dec first 2 months was fine and now in december it keeps doing that well got it serviced and changed front brake pads but dont think it is related to that becuse it came up before that and that made ma panic and then i booked it in for full service so i think its something to do with starting relly quick very first time it happend i sat in and i started it stight away i didnt let the dash signs to go off that was the first time like when you sit in a petrol car and start stright away with diesel you have to wait for glow plug to warm up so i think when they are not warm enough and we turn the engine now mine is a key start 2014 van so it has happend twice now in a week plus the weather is not great came to see on google any one else having same problem yes but still no answers hmmmmm lets hope its not major