Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying Recommendation 1.6 Or 2.0 Automatic

FocusHunter

Any help or recommendation as I am about to buy a Focus 2007-2009 (is this mk2?)

Looking for automatic gearbox, are these any good? known issues with auto gearbox?

Should I go with the 2.0 engine? or 1.6 more than enough? mainly for family, shopping etc so no commuting.

Late 07 onwards is regarded as a 2.5 (facelift).

For commuting a 1.6 is more than adequate.

I've not had any experiences with auto boxes but other members here will be sure to have recommendations

Anything 4 speed should be reliable, however,keep away from the ZF automatic triptonic transmission.

I cant think of a friendly enough way to disguise the word for it, so I shall refer to it in french...

Merde!

Any help or recommendation as I am about to buy a Focus 2007-2009 (is this mk2?)

Looking for automatic gearbox, are these any good? known issues with auto gearbox?

Should I go with the 2.0 engine? or 1.6 more than enough? mainly for family, shopping etc so no commuting.

Check the passenger foot well for damp could be pollen filter housing leak,

Check the boot at the top for signs of rust where the washer hose goes in to the boot panel, click on my aviator picture to see a link on my profile entitled "is your focus rusting" for more specific info on that,

Finally check the boot for signs of leak,

Common problem for the rear spoiler bolt hole seals to perish allowing water in,

Some members including myself have removed the spoiler and put some DIY bathroom silicone around the bolt holes and refitted the spoiler as a preventative measure so it won't ever get a chance to happen,

If buying a petrol,

I recommend you fit the bonnet insulation from a diesel model and fit it to your bonnet,

The windscreen washer jets have a tendency to leak allowing rain to get in on top of your engine,

The rain water can get in to the ignition leads causing rust over a period of time,

Fitting the bonnet insulation diverts the drip from the wassher jets away to the edge of the bonnet protecting your engine from getting wet.

Only other advise I can give is to get yourself some mud flaps front and rear from Ford,

The same flaps fit from 2005-2010 genuine ones fromm ford will fit unless your model has a zetecS body kit.

Really help to protect the body and prolong the lived of the car.

Happy motoring :)

• Like 1

The 4 speed Auto transmission in the Mk2/Mk2.5 Focus is decent - its quite reliable enough from what I know, its been around for some time.

Compared to other cars in the same category also with auto transmissions, I'd say the Focus definitely shifts smoother than average, though there is some lag sometimes, but not more so than other cars in the same category.

But if you aren't going to be racing around in it, its a good workhorse, the 1.6 Auto definitely has enough power. (I own one.) That said, I would have bought the 2L version if I could have afforded the insurance on it as a young driver, simply because it would be more fun. However with the 1.6L, you'd save some more on fuel. Just don't expect an awesome V8 growl and a firm push into the back of your seat, this ain't no Mustang :P

• Like 1

Just don't expect an awesome V8 growl and a firm push into the back of your seat, this ain't no Mustang :P

:lol:
  • Like 1

Huh... I was thinking the 2.0L would be v6 or v8.... Might change my mind and go with a Mustang :d

lol, nah, the 2.0 is a 4 cylinder, I dont think there are any V6 or 8's in the Focus :p pr at least, not from factory :p

lol, nah, the 2.0 is a 4 cylinder, I dont think there are any V6 or 8's in the Focus :p pr at least, not from factory :p

Mines a DV6 :lol: but I like to drop out the "D" when I'm driving it

How about the digital climate control? That is an extra option or only on Ghia/Titanium?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club