Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Subframe

tomtom16

could anyone give me an approximate price on changing a subframe with a parts and labour break down.

no twisted or bent mechanic said something about stress marks. i only just bought the car and found out about this. im trying to get the dealer to pay for the replacement, not sure how that's going to work, in an ideal world i would like him to just send me money so i can source the subframe and get someone i trust to fix it but sadly im thinking that's unlikely. i just don't trust someone who as already done sub standard repairs. i know he is responsible as he sold me it unfit for purpose.

Front or rear its expensive best bet is to phone a dealer and get the full price and breakdown alternatively get you're money back ide say is the best option

front. i was thinking of replacing it myself with some help from a friend. once the damage is repaired would it need to be looked at by a body shop or just get wheels re-aligned.

The dealer as offered to send me the part but i would rather get my own at least then i can be sure its ok.

I know the car is not alot of money but considering the rest of the car is good i would rather repair and keep it than have the dealer take it back, I would be out of pocket by something like a third of what i paid for the car straight away.

if it has stress markings, wouldnt that indicate it has been in a rear end smash?

front end smash its the front subframe.

The garage that looked at it didnt seem to worried just send the subframe needs replacing and that should sort it. i didnt know it was in an accident as its not been declared and there wasn't much in the way of signs until i had it at home and had a good look. had a quote for a second hand subframe for £70 ish. that about right??

im not to worried fitting had one quote for £100 fitting charge which again sounds reasonable.

£45 for the subframe not £73.20 sorry the higher price is with delivery and extra vat went to there website direct and its cheaper and only half hour away from me

would i need to have standard wheel alignment or 4 wheel alignment? and once its replaced any suggestions to make sure everything is as it should be?? sorry for going on just need to know as much as possible

i do believe that's all ok. think its just been badly repaired. once the subframe is sorted car would be spot on.

if the subframe has stress markings on, whats saying the chassis is not twisted?

the only reason is, approx 6yrs ago i hit a transit van in a rover 25 (the 160 model) which pulled out infront of me ( he took full blame thro insurance etc) i looked up, roads wet etc, i just thought i needed a new bonnet, bumper, rad. slam panel was a tad bent but could be jigged out. car went be checked over throu insurance and they said chassis was twisted slightly and to take in account the damage, they wrote the car off there and then. deamed it un road worthy.....

im aware that could happen but staying hopeful the mechanic's that looked at it didnt seem to worried about the chassis, going to get it to a body shop after i have replaced the subframe to get it checked.

The person i purchased the car is responisble for the repairs anyway. or i will be phoning trading standards im not usualy that sort of person just want my car as it should be a week after buying it.

Really the dealer should be sorthing this out but...knowing how sales folk work...doubtful. If it is only the subframe then ok changing should be straightforward but time consuming. Once done you would have a solid tidy car.

I would be concerned about the jig points...if the sub is bent check the frame fix points any sign of wrinkling or movement. What exactly is the history are there any new panels were the insurers made aware of the original damage. There may be a angle there.

if it needs a new subfame, car should be at leeast a cat c, even wrote of... because you are starting to mess with body structure.... if that was me (donr be offended) id take the car back with trading standards with you and demand a full re-fund.... before you buy the subframe etc... seek vosa help (enquire etc)

my limited knowledge says its ok and nothing came up on a car check.

i have checked the inner wing which seems original and no damage.The panels all look to be lined up as they should be, no big gaps or anything.

i have checked inside the door on the same side and that looks like it as never been off. The damage to the bumper is small just the fog light area nothing else. the car runs and the handling isn't really bad just feels like tracking is off. tbh it handles no worst than my last car lol.

its just the principle of being sold it like this. he has since said that the guy who would usually deal with it is on holiday till Monday. i have invited him to come and look at it. insisted its repaired local or gives me money to get it repaired my self.

i would be happy with it being repaired i like the car even considering this lol.

On the focus a damaged subframe isnt a good sign an accident repairer should check it as there can be more to it than a subframe such as the mounting points and bushes as well as the wheels being buckled driveshafts etc if you wish to replace it then once the old ones off ide underseal the front end then fit a new subframe with new bolts and bushes personally 3 out of every 5 cars ive seen with this damage has had more work than first thought as said twisted chassis are common as well as driveshaft and wishbone damage that tracking off feeling can be more serious than you think i would insist on them having it looked at or take it to a repairer but i wouldnt be paying a penny to be honest i would be asking for my money back

To have lityle bumper damage but a damaged subframe indicates either its been hit or someones hit a rock or something pretty hard it may be why the last person gotvrid of it mate

Had this with a hyundai a mate bought same scenario I took it to my old work and the costs went up and up as more was found wrong in the end it shouldnt have been sold so do be carefull

i think im going to have it repaired will get chassis checked once the subframe as been replaced and i intend to replace bush's and everything is going to be given a though look at but thats all going to happen once i have the old subframe off and a new one to replace it.

The dealer i bought it doesn't seem willing to pay for anything let alone give me a refund and even though i know i can take him to court and stuff, i just cant afford to go through that root i think my better option is to get him to repair it and just hope that the mechanics that have looked are right in saying it should be fine with a new subframe. The guy doing doing the work well hopefully because i trust him,as experience with this sort of thing.

i know its mad but i honestly believe its my best option.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club