Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When Does The Turbo Kick In ????

Fuzz

Hi guys, i have a question about the turbo and when it does actually make a difference in the engine power and acceleration.....I understand it doesnt kick in straight away when you start driving is that rite, if so at what speed does it activate.

Also is it normal for a (1.6 tdci sport 110) 07 plate not to reach 120 mph, ive tried to reach that speed but it seems to top at 115mph only and no more acceleration.

thankx.

I beleive a turbo is always active?They wont do 120 as 117 is their limit.

Turbo properly kick in between 1000-1500rpm

Correct me if im wrong.

I'd hope you're speeding on an Autobahn or a track and not motorways?

oh ok, so the kicking in is when it maintains the speed then, but how come when Im driving on an incline at about 50mph it loses power and I have to change from 5th to 4th gear, what could be causing that to happen.

120 is theoretical speed with maximum supporting conditions, if you got 115 on the *ahem* autobahn, then you got the best out of the car for the *ahem* German road conditions...

I've got mine remapped, 2.5" Dpf back exhaust, egr blanked, dpf removed and performance induction filter.

There limited to 115mph

Boost comes on around 1,200rpm when mapped

But always cuts off at around 2,700rpm mapped or not,

4th gear is more powerful than 5th and doesn't seem to be limited by the speed sensor,

our turbo doesnt kick in til approx 1700 rmp, but then it pulls like a train throu out the range without lack of boost untill decide to change which is mainly about 3.5k.....

• Like 1

our turbo doesnt kick in til approx 1700 rmp, but then it pulls like a train throu out the range without lack of boost untill decide to change which is mainly about 3.5k.....

+1

I should have known this as I've fitted a boost gauge but I generally try to drive with minimum boost possible allows me to get 22.8km per litre

Get off the pedal when your at the limit then punch it again it will hit 125 maybe beyond. Make sure the tyres are rated for that sort of speed a blow out could be deadly. As said 4th is a faster gear 5th is an economy gear

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Make sure the tyres are rated for that sort of speed a blow out could be deadly.

Turbo deadly ;)

Get some 18x8's with Avon ZZ3 tyres and drive it like you stole it,

Sticks to the road like nothing before,

Every learner driver should be equipped with 18x8 wheels as its impossible to slip out unless you take roundabout in 3rd gear at 60kmh on full lock, then it throws the rear out a bit but you can feel the grip being lost and hold it at a controlled drift :)

• Like 1

economic driving lenny you get 55-60 mpg?

• Like 1

economic driving lenny you get 55-60 mpg?

Yes if I drive economically I get 1140km on a 50ltr tank of diesel,

Bare in mind my work is now 21km away from home so a tank lasts along time which has led to the birth of the levin bzr :)

I miss the people at the fuel station

lenny im sure they miss you too lol......

EMISSIONS & FUEL ECONOMY Urban MPG: 42.1 mpg Extra Urban MPG: 65.6 mpg
Combined MPG: 54.2 mpg

Fuel Tank (Litres): 53 litres

Emissions - CO2 (g/km): 137 g/km

Tank Range (miles): 632 miles

these having a laugh.......

• Like 1

lenny im sure they miss you too lol......

EMISSIONS & FUEL ECONOMY Urban MPG: 42.1 mpg Extra Urban MPG: 65.6 mpg

Combined MPG: 54.2 mpg

Fuel Tank (Litres): 53 litres

Emissions - CO2 (g/km): 137 g/km

Tank Range (miles): 632 miles

these having a laugh.......

Not impossible - smooth driving has got me an average 60.7mpg over 80,000 miles, measured brim-to-brim with each fill (Mk2 2007 1.6TDCi). Dropped to mid 50s over the past few months but now better after taking out the dpf. Managed 65mpg on a 1,000 mile trip from Wales to the south of France last weekend, mainly 70mph motorway speeds with the odd slower section due to heavy traffic. I've got an egr blanking plate but not fitted it yet - might see a small further improvement after that.

On the turbo question, we seem to have a range of between 1000 and 1700prm for kick-in from the posts above - is there a definitive answer or does it depend on the engine model and the way its tuned? I used to notice a pick up in accelearation at about 1500rpm, but now it pulls nicely right through the whole range - is this due to the remap done at the same time as the dpf removal?

• Like 1

im usure about the dpf, as mine doesnt have 1 fitted as standard, but most members on here who had them fitted have had them removed as they cause so much hassle and expense.... and yes the map along with removal will give you alot better power delivery, smoother and more torquier.......

• Like 1

All's I know is VTEC kicks in at 3,500 Rpm and goes Squaaaaaaa" all the way to 9,000 ;)

• Like 1

All's I know is VTEC kicks in at 3,500 Rpm and goes Squaaaaaaa" all the way to 9,000 ;)

lmao haha

• Like 1

happy new year to ya lenny, wish ur family all the best also ;) ;)

• Like 1

All points taken guys thankx a lot, however will remain unhappy wit the take off acceleration, its very slow to pick up speed..lol especially wen moving off from traffic lights or the roundabout I can never try to sneak into a medium gap between two cars approaching from the right coz its just too slow i need a big gap..lol, thankx anyway for all your comments.

• Like 1

Try blocking the egr valve off, this should get rid of the lack of get up and go when pulling off......

Diesel engines are slower reving engines and the peak torque is at lower range compared to its petrol equivalent. This means to get the most out of it you need to adjust your driving style to the car. Over reving wont get you anywhere faster you want to hit the peak point.

When you've hit peak torque it feels brutal almost like the car is pulling your body along, head throw back stuff. The car will pull hard before the clutch has been fully released.

Since you are struggling to feel the turbo kick I suggest tone down the revs and try to take off with less gas. Seriously you can pull away at 1300rpm pretty fast if you dont stall diesel engines don't need the high revs like petrol do. Give it a try the more clutch control you get at lower revs the more you will feel that peak torque. If you can keep the car within its peak power throughout the gears its stupidly fast for such a heavy

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Not impossible - smooth driving has got me an average 60.7mpg over 80,000 miles, measured brim-to-brim with each fill (Mk2 2007 1.6TDCi). Dropped to mid 50s over the past few months but now better after taking out the dpf. Managed 65mpg on a 1,000 mile trip from Wales to the south of France last weekend, mainly 70mph motorway speeds with the odd slower section due to heavy traffic. I've got an egr blanking plate but not fitted it yet - might see a small further improvement after that.

On the turbo question, we seem to have a range of between 1000 and 1700prm for kick-in from the posts above - is there a definitive answer or does it depend on the engine model and the way its tuned? I used to notice a pick up in accelearation at about 1500rpm, but now it pulls nicely right through the whole range - is this due to the remap done at the same time as the dpf removal?

These turbolag/ power delivery/ boost threshold issues are complicated to explain

1st of all it may seem like the "turbo kicks in" at specific revs, it does not, it depends on factors like temprature, load etc

The turbo will boost completely differently in 1st than it does in top at the same engine revs as the transient or time response is different and the engine revs do not match the turbo revs

So in 1st, the engine can rev through its powerband quickly (due to the realatively light load) and the turbo can have difficulty boosting fast enough (more about transient response/ (time) than revs) so the turbo may lag behind the engine, in a higher gear, the turbo has more time to boost, as the engine revs through its power band slower, so the turbo has more time to "catch up" with the engine

So some turbo diesels accelerate faster in some gears than others (and not in the way expected)

The DPF forms a restriction on the output of the turos turbine, removing it allows the exhaust gasses to exit sooner, faster, that makes the turbine spool sooner, quicker, from lower revs, the turbine is connected directly to the compressor - so if the turbine spools quicker the compressor does too - the compressor spinning up quicker allows more boost, quicker, on demand

The same boost control systems are still in place so the peak boost is not increased but the throttle response is improved, and the engine should bull better from lower revs and stronger through the powerband

The remap should work in conjunction with the DPF delete to make an integrated system/ tune to increase power/ torque through the rev-range the additional energy from the extra fuel added increasing the energy in the turbo, in turn

Ive dumbed it down a bit because i don't really know how to explain things like the difference between the boost threshhold and "true" turbo lag

• Like 2

These turbolag/ power delivery/ boost threshold issues are complicated to explain

1st of all it may seem like the "turbo kicks in" at specific revs, it does not, it depends on factors like temprature, load etc

The turbo will boost completely differently in 1st than it does in top at the same engine revs as the transient or time response is different and the engine revs do not match the turbo revs

So in 1st, the engine can rev through its powerband quickly (due to the realatively light load) and the turbo can have difficulty boosting fast enough (more about transient response/ (time) than revs) so the turbo may lag behind the engine, in a higher gear, the turbo has more time to boost, as the engine revs through its power band slower, so the turbo has more time to "catch up" with the engine

So some turbo diesels accelerate faster in some gears than others (and not in the way expected)

The DPF forms a restriction on the output of the turos turbine, removing it allows the exhaust gasses to exit sooner, faster, that makes the turbine spool sooner, quicker, from lower revs, the turbine is connected directly to the compressor - so if the turbine spools quicker the compressor does too - the compressor spinning up quicker allows more boost, quicker, on demand

The same boost control systems are still in place so the peak boost is not increased but the throttle response is improved, and the engine should bull better from lower revs and stronger through the powerband

The remap should work in conjunction with the DPF delete to make an integrated system/ tune to increase power/ torque through the rev-range the additional energy from the extra fuel added increasing the energy in the turbo, in turn

Ive dumbed it down a bit because i don't really know how to explain things like the difference between the boost threshhold and "true" turbo lag

Nicely explained mate,

Blanking the egr also helps increase the pressure of exhaust gases slightly too.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club