Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quick Clear Windscreen

CheeseMonkey

Hello,

That's me had my car for roughly 4 weeks now.

I've got a question about the quick clear on the front windscreen. I've not found it that effective, if effective at all. The problem so far is that is hasn't iced over yet. I'm beginning to wonder of its working. I've watched some youtube videos on how it works and what it's like when it breaks down the ice on the window...

I take it, it should assist in clearing away the usual moisture on the windows. The temperature up here has been dropping at night so when you get in the car you need the blowers on full to clear away the condensation.

I've not once noticed this front window clearing any quicker. I've tried stopping the fans and the AC and it don't look like this quick clear is doing anything. The rear window cleans like a treat every time..

What I'm wondering is if it really is only good for the ice or not regular demisting of the front window?!

Is there any wee tricks I can do to bring up any error codes that would corroborate my theory?

The menu in the car is reporting no faults!

Failing this I'll need to wait till it freezes over and check myself lol :blink:

Cheers team.

Gary.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

It should clear the windscreen even when gummed up, not just when it's frosted. Being in Aberdeen, mine has been used a quite a bit already and I love it. When I get in the car, I put on front and back heated screens, then I go out and scrape the side windows and lights and when I get back in it's good to go.

I might be doing it wrong, but when mine is gummed up, I switch off the fan (if it's cold) coz I don't see the point in having cold air blowing on to a windscreen that you are trying to clear with warmth ! Works for me anyway. :)

I find that putting the windscreen on and using the vents (whatever temperature) works fine. Although just windscreen still works, but not amazingly quickly.

even tho i own a focus, it works the same. our screen when say fogged up inside you turn on the heated button and the fog starts to clear from the centre and works its way to the edge. untill all done..... makes no difference on engine temp or blower direction....

Wait for it to freeze. The heated front will then work similar to the heated rear & melt the ice fairly uniformly.

im having the same problem, when it comes to the window being frozen over then it works amazingly, but when the windows misted up it isnt so quick

If you mean misted on the inside it wont work very well because the heated elements are closest to the outside surface the system is primarily used to partially melt ice so it can be removed as slush with the wipers, if you read the manual for the car i think it recommends the demist only fan position position 2 and A/C if available for the quickest demisting of the window.

• Like 3

The heated windscreen is for removing frost from the outside of the windscreen. For condensation on the inside of the windscreen, set the blower all the way to the right so that the AC comes on. The dehumidified air that the AC provides will clear the condensation much faster than without.

• Like 1

/i find just hitting the max button is the fastest way of clearing the windscreen

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Fotd’s so called fast clear front windscreen is as good as a chocolate tea pot. I have a Edge and it’s been back many time to resolve the issue of the heated front screen not working. I have been informed that my screen is working as it should, but the battery need to have a minimum charge of 85%. Less and it won’t work. My local dealer noted that the battery dropped 2% by just opening a door. This coupled with battery drain caused by cold weather and stop start system use easily pushes the battery below what is needed to allow the fast screen to work. This is a very poor set up by Ford Motor company. My dealer has been very apologetic over this poor showing in what is one of Fords top vehicles, but their is nothing they can do and Ford themself’s don’t seem to care. The intreasting part is that the stop start system has a far lower battery level requirement as does the rear heated window. I could live with the stop start not working at below 85%, but clearing the front screen and keeping it clear is a safety issue and one of the reasons I chose this Ford. This is short sighted of Ford. To get past this short coming I have installed a charging port for a trickle charger to keep,the battery charged up overnight, but this only works at home and not when I am away. This is one of the areas that Ford Motor Company need to address along with like for like curtsey car for warrenty work. A pool of vehicles that dealers can call on would be a great asset. As things stand I am looking elsewhere for the replacement of my Edge due later this year. 

My heated front screen works fine, found it excellent over the last few years in my Fiesta ST-Line (2016). During the recent few cold mornings I've seen the temps at around minus 8 degrees C with a heavy frost. I jump in start the engine switch on the front and rear heated screens and set the air flow towards screen which automatically puts on the aircon. I go round and scrape the side windows and clean the lights (about 2 mins) and by the time I jump back in the front and rear are clear, a quick wipe with the wipers and I'm good to go.

Once I get out of my housing estate and onto the main road I switch off the front and rear screens and usually the aircon if there is not much interior condensation.

The only minor gripe with my car is the amount of time it takes the heater to warm up think I'll try one with heated seats and steering wheel next time.

Never had any issues with the heated screens.

Focus and 3 fiestas now and they have all been fine.

Clears ice on the screen within a couple of minutes.

Heaters on my mk7.5 St Line warm up relatively quickly on the way to work.

The mrs' St line X is much better with the heating, pretty much warm within a minute.

Mine only work with the engine running. In which case battery soc is irrelevant 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

The mrs' St line X is much better with the heating, pretty much warm within a minute.

Only needed to use heated screen on mine a couple of times but it seems to work well😀

• Like 1

With the frosts we've been having just lately, I've been using the heated screens a lot.   Would not be without them.

Only had the pleasure of using it 3-4 times but each time it has worked wonderfully. Makes me wonder why I previously put up with de-icer cans and scrapers for the windscreen 😄 

I've not found it that effective, if effective at all. 

Like most others mine works fine when frosted over or to help clear condensation. I've used it on a Focus and Fusion in the past and works all the same. I did once have a chip in the windscreen which I think damaged the wiring as it would only clear one side until replaced. Guess which side, the passenger of course! So on icy mornings the least useful side would clear but nothing on the drivers side, lol.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club