Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Tyres

mpb

Hi all im new to the forums, Happy new year to you all.

I've got a 12 plate Ford S-max 2.0 TDCI 163 and I've just had the first service since owning it. Ford have told me I need all 4 new tyres, back ones are worn out which is fine but the front ones are worn down on the inside but still have 4mm in the middle. It may be a stupid question as I don't know a lot about cars but is it necessary to change the front ones when they have so much tread left or could I just get them aligned?

And also my car comes with run flat 225 50 17 98w with the tyre pressure warning system. But the tyres seem pretty expensive, so I was wondering if anyone knows if I can put standard tyres on?

Thanks for any help.

Mo

Hi Mo,

It would be strongly recommended. The fact that the tyres are feathered on one side indicates that the tracking and alignment are out.

The legal requirement is 1.6mm minimum across 3/4 of the central width of the tyres (cant remember the exact wording). You need the alignment done anyway, but as its worn down it would be ill advised to leave them on there.

Thanks for the advice, I had a feeling it would end up being all 4.

No I just need to decide if i go with runflats at about 150 a tyre or something cheaper.. :(

If you use the cashback websites and shop around, you can get some good deals and a further discount via cashback in a few weeks time

Sent from my SM-P600 using Ford OC mobile app

runflats arent really worth it. Your better off going with Avons or a more hard wearing compound. For the odd flat tyre you may get, your better off with a bottle of gunk shoved in there, tyre inflated and then have it patched up for about £30. It will save you a lot more money in the long run!

Thanks guys, yeah i think your right. I talked to my dealer and they said if you put normal tyres on it will just come up with a message and then ur pressure sesor will just turn off. So next question, were is the best place for tyres? ive looked around a bit and found my tyres quite good

ive just had 2 new 1s fitted to my fronts,also had the tracking done as they were out by 3mm.

i went to settyres in brighton and paid 200 quid all in for accellera tyres.iirc there rated at c for wet braking and e for fuel efficiency.hey its a mpv not a sports car.used to use budgets on my old galaxy and used to get good mileage out of them compared to the recommended dunlops.

on the smax forum there is quite a long thread on the subject about the differing tyres etc.

They look good, but there have been a lot of compliments to the Avon ZV5, although the MPG is classed as C and not A, a lot of forum members here say that they get a lot for their money!

Thanks are they the same tyres as the jinyu yu63? as these seem to get better ratings

i also need new front tyres. Have been scouting around on the net for best value.

Then I started to think about the TPMS and found many problems reading online.

Apparently the valve very often breaks when tyres are changed. This obviously leads to issues when my car is stuck in some cheap back street tyre garage.

Anyway as a result I thought it was safest to book in at dealers( where to be honest, prices are pretty similar to elsewhere)

I went for Nexen tyres, seem to get half decent reviews and cost 112 fitted.

As people have said, we are not racing so half decent will do in my opinion.

Just hope the valves don't break as replacement prices are scandalous!

Incidently, does anyone know if you can just fit normal rubber valves and bypass the pressure system?

Im guessing the ECU would have a problem with this...

I spoke to my dealer yesterday, and they said if you put normal tyres on the car will come up with a message saying have you got winter tyres on and if u click yes it will disable the system. I got quoted 150 a tyre for some hankooks. Which i was tempted with but then thought if i can save 50 / 60 a tyre will i really notice a difference.

I decided to go for the mid range instead as I wasent sure I wanted to drive my kids about on the cheap tyres. I've gone with Kumho Ecsta Le Sport KU39 225/50 R17 Y (98), Reinforced which I got for 115 fitted a tyre. Leaving a hole in my pocket but its not too bad.

Its the best bet. Although I personally would have said you get as much from the Avon's, but you have tyres there with a slightly higher efficiency rating :)

Have a check on site called

www.camskill.co.UK tyres

I highly recommend them

Yunii

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Ford OC mobile app

I spoke to my dealer yesterday, and they said if you put normal tyres on the car will come up with a message saying have you got winter tyres on and if u click yes it will disable the system.

You're kidding, right?

So there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer as to how the ECU will handle normal rubber valves being used as opposed to the TPMS ones

I can't really believe the engineers explanation to be honest

Thats what the engineer said..

I seriously think you ought to consider getting your tyres changed elsewhere.

If you are considering changing to non runflats, you wouldn't be the first, as many have seeked more economical tyres to suit their budget - without problem.

I wouldn't trust an 'engineer' who'd boldly declare that the car can tell the difference between runflats or otherwise.

Your TPMS system should function normally.

So there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer as to how the ECU will handle normal rubber valves being used as opposed to the TPMS ones I can't really believe the engineers explanation to be honest

If TPMS valves are replaced with standard valves, the system will simply come up with a message 'Tyre Pressures not detected'. If the alert comes up a couple of times, and is ignored, the alert is then stored in 'Messages', so shouldn't bother you further.

Alternatively, the TPMS system can also be disabled using ELMConfig.

I seriously think you ought to consider getting your tyres changed elsewhere.

If you are considering changing to non runflats, you wouldn't be the first, as many have seeked more economical tyres to suit their budget - without problem.

I wouldn't trust an 'engineer' who'd boldly declare that the car can tell the difference between runflats or otherwise.

Your TPMS system should function normally.

This wasent from the garage im getting them changed at, its what they said at my local ford dealer when I asked them. I'm getting a local garage to fit them through black cirlce.com

If TPMS valves are replaced with standard valves, the system will simply come up with a message 'Tyre Pressures not detected'. If the alert comes up a couple of times, and is ignored, the alert is then stored in 'Messages', so shouldn't bother you further.

Alternatively, the TPMS system can also be disabled using ELMConfig.

Do they have have to replace the valves ? Ive heard of some people still using them on non runflat tyres? Its just they seem quite expensive to get and I wondered if it's something that can be retained?

Yes, you should be able to use the TPMS valves, but it is recommended to have key components in the valves replaced with service kits with every tyre change - given the rather notorious reputation of corrosion in these valves (even the Mk 2 version, I hear).

Your call.

Hmm I'll have to give the garage a call on Monday and see what they normally do. I'm guessing they will just replace the valves, but then I don't know what will happen to the tpms ones... And if that happens will I end up spending a lot of money on getting new ones when my first mot is due.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club