Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Focus St170 Losing Drive When Cruising In 5/6Th Gear

Swanny90

Hi,

Recently I set out on a short trip. When I was doing around 60/70mph I lost all drive. I tried selecting a lower gear whilst I I was slowing down, but nothing. Then pulled over to a stop where I still couldn't get any drive no matter what gear I selected, left it a while then tried again, where I had all gears and all was fine. until on the same trip it happen again and shortly again once more.

Ive been scratching my head all day on what the problem could be so any hints or idea would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Hi Edward,

OK so first of all, whats the service history, mileage and fuel type?

Secondly, when you lost all drive, can you be more specific? i.e. could you rev the car, but it wouldnt move when in gear? did you floor the accelerator and still roll as if you werent touching it?

Did you have any warning lights appear on the dashboard, or flicker on for a moment?

So firstly it's done about 96000miles, it's petrol and it's frequently serviced by myself, I've had the car for about 6years now so I know the car well.

When it happens it will rev freely in gear when moving and stopped (with no movement at all), there no warning lights or no tell tale signs. It doesn't sound or feel like the clutch slipping as it revs like it's not in gear. I change the clutch assembly, release bearing and flywheel a couple of years back now.

Thanks

The fact that its revving so freely whilst the car is in gear (as if your revving in neutral) would tell me there is a clutch or flywheel issue at least. But the fact that if you leave it for a while it then resumes normal operation, that suggests to me that you probably need a new clutch.

The clutch diaphragm (sorry the actual term I am referring to escapes me!) is possibly the issue, if its not returning back to standard position.

Either that, or My thoughts are that your clutch is overpowered by fluid, the clutch plates do not spin together, thus the car freely revs. Leaving the car stopped and off, suggests that perhaps the fluid is leaving the area, and then you start the car and normal clutch service resumes.

Yeah that make sense what your saying, hopefully it is only the clutch and nothing to major. I'm having in this afternoon, so I'll let you know the outcome either way. Thanks for the help and suggestions

No Worries, let us know how it goes!