Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ecoboost Issues

MarieD

Important to remember too that another advantage of things like stop start is that if gives tax reductions, often to the point of zero tax. Of course the question is if the annual tax saving plus any fuel savings are worthwhile given higher purchase costs usually associated with "green" cars, and any additional maintenance for the system (wonder what it does for batteries and starter motors life?)

and any additional maintenance for the system (wonder what it does for batteries and starter motors life?)

batteries are special AGM gel batteries with a smaller battery, some start/stop systems use the starter to start the engine and others use the altenator as the starter.

there is no extra maintenance for the system. we have a customer who has clocked 50,000+ miles in his 3.0 diesel XF which is 1 year old and it hasnt failed yet

• 5 months later...

We are also having problems with the stop start. Although if often doesn't stop, the infuriating one is that it occasionally doesn't restart when the clutch is pressed and you get hooted at by the cars behind you at traffic lights. There can also be periods when the engine does not switch off at traffic lights despite the battery obviously being fully charged & all the other criterior met. The dealer can't find the problem & tells you that there is no fault logged. I suspect it is either the clutch pedal switch or gear neutral switch being intermittent (MarieD's problem seems to be the gear neutral switch as jiggling it got the system to work). I suspect the dealers have got brainwashed by the diagnostics & can't deal with problems arising from simple on/off (or badly adjusted) switches that can't be found by the diagnostics.

With stop/stop referrig to batteries. The batter state of charge has to be over 80% yet the battery voktage can be perfectly ok say 12.4volts for example the state of charge could only be 60% causing the stoo/start to fail.

This normally happens on cara that does a rugular short mile trips. But taking it on a long trip wont bring the state of charge over 80% it has to be done for a few days.

With stop start you have to meet a silly ammount of criterua for it to work.

Cant remeber the list but its things like;

Fuel level over a certian ammount (no light on)

No eml on etc.

Seatbelts plugged in (if people are sitting in the seats)

Car in nuetral

Handbrake on

battery condition (state of charge)

And engine temprature

Not 100% if there is more. I work with fords day in day out an there isnt anythin clear enough in the litrature about the state of charge an why the battery voltage can be good an the state of charge is too low. They all say its the smart charge system on the alternator doing its job. An theres certian thing you have to do to get a good state of charge

Im not sayin the smart charge is faulty if the state of charge is low. Could simply be down to communting miles etc

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Ford OC mobile app

Thanks. Although the car is mainly used for short journeys the stop start does work often. The point I was making was that as it sometimes won't restart after stopping, then there must be a fault & it's probably the clutch switch. If the clutch switch is faulty then it will probably occassionally not stop.

• 5 months later...

besides all the regular voltage related reasons something else to remember is once the stop start as restarted it will not shut down again until the road speed as exceeded 3 mph or if you have taken your seatbelt off for any reason and as not been re-fastened

• 5 months later...

My stop/start stopped working about 6 weeks before the warranty was due to run out (end of April 2015) - took it and left it with the Dealer. They rang me later in the day to say that they given it a long test drive and it was working perfectly. I picked the car up later that day and drove home - it didn't work. It didn't work at all. What's more, being suspicious, I took the mileage reading when I dropped the car off and guess what? It hadn't moved at all when I picked it up.

I was slightly fed up and felt a bit stupid so didn't call Dealer back until following week. They agreed to take it in again but made me feel a bit of a fool until I pointed out it had NOT been on a test drive - long or otherwise! I dropped the car off in the morning and they phoned me in the afternoon to ask if I could leave the car over night as the 'smart' battery (separate from main battery) needed trickle charging as it was below working order.

Picked the car up next day and all working perfectly.

The problem is, so I have been told by the Ford Dealer, that I don't do enough miles each day anymore. I used to do a 30 mile round trip - now I only do 2 and maybe longer at weekends.

2 months on and out of warranty - it is no longer working again. Absolutely no point in taking it back as I obviously can't do enough miles to charge it up. Pointless waste of time but at least doesn't affect the performance of the car!

Hey

my car has had its 3rd battery replacement,

the car seems to eat/fry batterys.

It all starts with the stop start failing

Jamie

Doesn't mean its the stop start quite a few fords have had this issue with two main theories one is the remote fob is too close to the car and activating it constantly the other is the interior light although it switches off is remaining live killing the battery the fact this happens means the battery voltage is too low for the stop start to work in the first place so its not the stop start its effecting the stop start

As for dealers not looking at the car that's common all they do is stick it in the corner and concentrate on the paying customers

• 3 years later...

The level of issues with fords EcoBoost engine is above the roof... There is a ton of things that can and most likely will go bad. Used to be a ford fan, before they introduced this eco-garbage engine, engineering at its lowest. How can you sell that, before that, build such garbage, at least take some time and perfect it, don't just produce it.  With so many experiences in building cars, they build such crap that one can only ask himself, where is the logic? Why such engine design? And then mass produce it? Makes no sense at all...

Just type 1.6 or 1.0 EcoBoost problems, the web will light up and your will to drive ford nonexistent anymore ( mine has gone from 1 failure to another, and i know a thing or two about engine maintenance ).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club