Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 1.8 Tdci 07

Jockstar

Let us know when you've figured it out the wiring. I'd be very interested in getting heated seats in mine :)

Sent from my iPhone 5s.

So I decided to try and fit the driver's side door card today. I was concerned there was going to be an issue with the button controls for the electric windows and door mirrors. Unfortunately I was right! My original door card has two electrical connectors running to it but my new door card only has one. The circuit board that sits underneath the switches is totally different. I was thinking I could still use my original circuit board and switches, but they won't fit into the door card moulding (the new door card has a different number of buttons and so the mould is a different shape). The only way to do it would be to swap over the mouldings so that my original switches/wiring/electronics can be used. However, it seems they are plastic welded onto the door card, so I'm now wondering if this is going to be game over.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Taking the new trim apart:

IMG_17091_zpsdbe7d8fc.jpg

Picture showing the reverse side of the new door card (only one electrical connector) :

IMG_17111_zps05e62ac4.jpg

As you can see, my original setup has two:

IMG_17121_zps4d022ab2.jpg

The newer electronic setup removed. It has two additional buttons for the rear windows and a further button to prevent the windows being moved:

IMG_17131_zpse31055f0.jpg

A better view of the two connectors on my current setup:

IMG_17201_zps5d8507a2.jpg

The silver trim that I think I'll have to remove as the moulding won't work with my original setup:

IMG_17231_zps13ff1adf.jpg

From the reverse side you can see that everything is melted into place:

IMG_17241_zps586ab3d9.jpg

The true age of my interior:

IMG_17191_zpsc1cee613.jpg

And the true age of my new interior (right on the facelift year) :

IMG_17141_zps71aceead.jpg

The upside today was that the rear door cards have a circular marking on the reverse side to indicate where to cut holes for window winders. So at least some positivity could be grasped from today's adventure!

• Like 1

Are you not using the silver trim for the doors?

I'll have it off you if you don't need/want it? :p

Sent from my iPhone 5s.

that's a shame if you cant get the front door cards to fit fella as so much time and effort has gone in to making your car what it is to day.

hope you can work some thing out

I'll see what the guy in the garage says about it, but I'm not sure what I can do. The looms are obviously completely different, so the only real option is to swap over parts of the door card. A have a feeling that a lot of swearing will be happening on Friday.

I'll keep you posted with the trim!

• Like 1

Thanks Barry.

So I ordered some wheels from eBay on Friday night and they turned up this afternoon. Brilliant delivery time! I was looking for something OEM like 18" Mondeo wheels but these came up which are pretty rare:

IMG_17291_zps9c7af4e8.jpg

Ford want £187 + VAT for each of these wheels which were originally fitted to the mk3 Focus. I got the set for a lot less than that. They need a refurb and two centre caps, but I wanted a different colour anyway. Apart from some light kerbing, the wheels look good. I'm well happy because I've never seen a mk2 with these and the spokes look like arrows which I thought was something a bit different.

IMG_17251_zps364565d9.jpg

IMG_17261_zps02d9b101.jpg

The car is now loaded up with rear lights and interior to get worked on at the end of the week. Then into the paint shop in March. Hopefully everything will work out!

• Like 1

Love the new wheels. You just going to refurb them in the oem colour or a different colour? Gun metal grey like the new ST maybe? They call the colour something different at Ford

Man those wheels look nice. OEM is the way to go. You just going hyper silver?

Sent from my iPhone 5s.

I was thinking gunmetal as white suited the car, but that was partly due to the Team Dynamic wheels being a motorsport wheel. I think these are more OEM and therefore require something a bit more understated to make it look nice.

So I think it will be gunmetal like the new ST :D

Good call on the Gunmetal from the new ST range. It is definitely modern and would suit the car. Did I hear you getting the car resprayed?

Just getting bits and bobs fixed and I need to get my ST spoiler painted.

• Like 1

Nice. Looking forward to seeing it all. If I may suggest to maybe colour code the side strips on the door. I think it would make a nice subtle change to the overall apperance.

I'd enquired about getting that done, but the guy I use to do body shop work wanted me to buy new plastic strips as opposed to painting the existing ones. I'm sure he has his reasons for wanting to do this, but it was going to cost over £60 for new strips. I have a couple of minor rust areas to fix, so I felt that they should take priority. And there's the issue of people at my work hitting my car with their door, so the nice shiny strips wouldn't stay perfect for long!

I'm going to speak to him again nearer the time, so all subject to change :P

• Like 3

never seen then wheels before and they will loo nice in gun meatal grey.

when you get them done do please post up pics.

the white did go very well with the colour of your car

I had never come across them either. It took me a little bit of time to work out which model of Ford they belonged to, as the eBay advert didn't spell it out.

Anyway, the car has been away for a couple of days getting bits and pieces done. I can now strike the following off the list:

Mk2.5 rear lights

Rear Ford badge brake light

Window tints

Interior fitted

The front passenger seat pre-tensioner needed to be swapped over to stop the airbag light coming on. The driver's side one was fine and I can now adjust the seat as it has power :D. Getting the windows tinted was a spur of the moment thing, but the guy doing the interior does tints, so I thought why not. He also confirmed the seats are heated, so we're looking into making that function of the seats work.

The problem with the front driver's side door card was overcome by removing the leather insert from the door card I bought and swapping it onto the original door card. The plastics are the same colour, so I could get away with doing this. The only downside is that my door card doesn't have the silver trim, but to be honest, you'd struggle to notice. The rear door cards have been cut to allow the window winders to be fitted B)

Very happy with the work and it cost £240 all in, so not too expensive considering other garages weren't interested in taking the work on.

IMG_17391_zpsd6996fb9.jpg

IMG_17401_zps97632712.jpg

IMG_17411_zps35d58645.jpg

The ST spoiler that I have waiting to be fitted has a clear central brake light, so that'll match up to the mk2.5 lights. I'll need to give the interior a good clean and get some pictures up tomorrow.

• Like 4

Looking good mate, glad you got the interior bits sorted out. :)

Looking good John. The ST spoiler will finish the back nicely.

looking good fella and glad you have got the interior fitted.

the rear end looks good with the tints and facelift rear lights as said once you get the st spoiler fitted it will finish the rear end of a treat mate

I'd enquired about getting that done, but the guy I use to do body shop work wanted me to buy new plastic strips as opposed to painting the existing ones. I'm sure he has his reasons for wanting to do this, but it was going to cost over £60 for new strips. I have a couple of minor rust areas to fix, so I felt that they should take priority. And there's the issue of people at my work hitting my car with their door, so the nice shiny strips wouldn't stay perfect for long!

I'm going to speak to him again nearer the time, so all subject to change :P

The reason for using new plastics, is that old plastics have had years of back to black, silicone etc plastered over them. Which is near impossible to totally clean, and over time the paint may start to blister or peel.

• Like 1

I suspected it might be because of that, as I've heard paint sprayers talking about back to black being a nightmare.

I've asked him for individual quotes for all the work, so I might still get it done :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well that's the car away for a week to get paint work carried out. I spoke to the guy painting the car about why he wanted to buy new bump strips. He told me he'd had a few nightmares with removing strips to colour code them. He gave me a few examples such as excessive back to black, the strips losing their shape after they'd been removed etc. He suggested the possibility of simply removing them, but that would depend on whether the paint underneath is a different shade due to being hidden away from U.V and whether there are any clips as opposed to just double sided tape. He stated it was best to paint them off the car, as they have a textured surface and require a bit of preparation.

He'll also be painting and fitting my ST spoiler as well as fixing a couple of rusty areas (rust spot on the roof and some road rash on the back passenger sill as it meets the wheel arch). I also need to see if the bonnet can be repaired after the lacquer was damaged by bird crap. He's going to try and wet and dry it with a bit of buffing to finish it off. However, he might strike through the lacquer, in which case it'll be getting painted yet again!

Only other mod was to replace the standard Ford number plate lens with the LED units from Alltronix. They include the lens as well as the LED lights:

http://www.alltronix.co.uk/ford-3/

Far brighter than the LED Bulbs I used to have. Hopefully they'll be reliable.

• Like 2

im sure once your car come back form paint and has the plastics colour coded it will look sweet

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club