Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spraying Interior Plastics?

M4RC

Thinking of spraying the silver plastics eg radio surround, blower surrounds etc...

What do I need primer? What paint? Gloss?

600-800-1200-2000 grit paper, plastic primer i suggest silver in colour, then the colour paint you want, then a lacquer 2k all in aerosol form

take the plastic off sand down with 600 paper

wash them with soapy water and dry thoroughly

plastic primer 3 coasts light then get heavier as you go

leave 24 hours

grit with 800 on the rough areas

wash and dry again

paint using the colour you wish

leave 24 hours

sand with 1200 grit on rough areas only

wash and dry

then one last colour wait 30mins

then 3 coast of lacquer

wait 24 hours

grit with 2000 paper very lightly!!! then t cut or polish them up

all done and back in they go :) worked for me very well

• Like 2

600-800-1200-2000 grit paper, plastic primer i suggest silver in colour, then the colour paint you want, then a lacquer 2k all in aerosol form

leave 24 hours

wash and dry again

leave 24 hours

wash and dry

then 3 coast of lacquer

wait 24 hours

Cheers :). Just. Gonna order the stuff just now, think I'll go for white. Why silver primer?

I've used white and black before and found silver was easier to paint over but its up to you you won't see it after :D

What's the best way to remove the steering wheel trim after removing the 3 screws?

I bought a wheel on eBay and found it needed some force (bearing in mind there was no air bag) to remove it? Is there any chance of the airbag going off while I remove the trim that's in the car?

just do one side at a time, bend it round and out and pull 3 screws and 3 clips i think it does take some force but its fine

keep ignition off and no chance of it going off i believe

Start on the side without buttons (unless in a Titanium) and pull it out around the airbag. Flip it over towards the end to unplug cable from switch.

Loverly, cheers lads, trying some different colour combinations, mainly orange as the car is black, got some spare wing mirror covers that are gonna get painted too, well I say painted I'm experimenting with plasti-dip!!

• Like 1

Couldn't wait so I went to Halfords and got some Ford electric Orange spray paint and started on the wheel trim, so far so good.

post-48260-138904938024_thumb.jpg

might want a good couple of coats but looks wicked!!! love black with red or orange!!!

Orange onto a silver or white base is always ya best bet.

I used near enough a whole can lol

nice :) see what it looks like and might get some more on, how many coats did you put on?

4 coats so far, going to lacquer it now. It's come up almost identical to that of the old Orange focus ST's.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic, but the secret storage hole that's on the mk7 is still on the mk7.5 it's just covered with the passenger air bag deactivation lightpost-48260-138909257058_thumb.jpg

But there's no hinge on the MK7.5 is there so can't easily be used?

It's got 2 lugs at the bottom so it acts like a hinge, with the cable there for the air bag light it's not really usable anyway, shame really.

Not too sure on the overall look/finish, will give it a week and see if it grows on me, still got the original thankfully.

post-48260-138912924327_thumb.jpg

Get a black/orange steering wheel overlay and maybe ask dmb to make you one for the bottom like I have but with an orange s ? Looks different in a good way, maybe orange vent rings too ?

wow!!! i like it bud, i agree with nathan did you paint it outside bit cold? best temp is min 16'c ??

leave 24 hours

wash and dry again

leave 24 hours

wash and dry

then 3 coast of lacquer

wait 24 hours

How much of the original paint do I have to take of? (I'm doing the Asian grill inserts at the moment). Getting it all of is gonna take hours haha

are you painting them outside?? its too cold ahaa but not a lot really as long as it a bit rough but smooth if you get me? then clean it and stick on primer on :) i will do mine soon as i can aha

are you painting them outside?? its too cold ahaa but not a lot really as long as it a bit rough but smooth if you get me? then clean it and stick on primer on :) i will do mine soon as i can aha

Okay cheers, just sanding them down the now, it's too cold to paint them haha. Hopefully the weather will be better at the weekend