Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight Warning Chime Not Working

russ1911

Hi guys,

My OH has just picked up a 2009 1.6 zetec. It's seems great so far, other than a couple of niggly problems, as described in the thread title.

I have been trying to narrow it down as to why this is. So far, I have checked:

• The "door open" message comes up when the ignition is on and the driver's door is open;
  • The interior light comes on when the driver's door is open and the ignition is off;
  • All car external lights (including number plate) come on as expected;
  • General warning "chime" sounds work (tested by seatbelt off chime and low fuel chime);
  • The light switch itself works (obviously).

I don't have any other ideas! Has anybody else come across this?

might have been turn off by pervious owner with emlconfig cable

there's a very long post about emlconfig cables in the focus guides

don't think you would have the time to read it all. :)

here the post http;//www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/31287-guide-for-focus

mk2mk25-c-maxkuga-elm-327-cable-and-ff2-program/

have you had a look through the menu using the buttons on the indicator stalk, there is an option in there to turn the chimes off and on

The "chimes" option on the stalk menu is turned on. This is verified by other warning chimes working as expected.

I don't know why anybody would want to turn the headlight warning chime off to be honest! Would it only be the dealers who could take a look in the ECU or can indy's get to it just as easily? I have looked at the guide, but there's no way I want to get involved in all that!

This small problem is hugely annoying!

I presume your referring to the "you left your blady lights on" warning when you open the door?

if so, it could be a setting in ELM, but to be honest I couldnt say for definite. Alternatively its possible that the system is disabled, perhaps another issue. Is the headlight icon on the instrument panel when you turn the lights on?

And are you sure its not on the parking lights? if so that could be why?

I presume your referring to the "you left your blady lights on" warning when you open the door?

if so, it could be a setting in ELM, but to be honest I couldnt say for definite. Alternatively its possible that the system is disabled, perhaps another issue. Is the headlight icon on the instrument panel when you turn the lights on?

And are you sure its not on the parking lights? if so that could be why?

Exactly that warning - it's more for the OHs benefit than mine, but she's been driving my car with auto headlights permanently on for the past year, so hasn't had to worry about manually switching the lights off.

The headlight icon illuminates on the instrument panel and I can't find any other problems over the entire car (apart from a weird noise on the passenger door when deadlocking...).

It's definitely on headlights - just no noise. By a process of elimination, it must be the ELM settings. I don't really want to DIY it, so it's now a pain that it looks like I'll have to pay somebody (hopefully not the dealers) to put the setting back.

The central locking noise is a common problem. Mine had it and was fixed under warranty at the dealers. Pig of a job apparently.

Could be as per Dez's picture.

I have a colleague who has the same issue, but it looks like there door lock is the issue, as they open driver door and the lights dont come on, so its stuck as an open circuit.

hi,

i'm not exactly sure where the chime noise comes from but there is an option to check your chimes are all working on the 'dashboard trick' (there are lots of links on how to do this on this forum) have you tried this? someone will probably be able to tell you where the chime noise comes from and i don't know if it is from different locations for each different chime or if they all come from the same 'speaker/buzzer' unit. If its a seperate unit for each it could be a fault in the specific one?!

Lee

It tends to be a central buzzer, seemingly just to the left of the steering wheel IIRC.

Thanks guys - I'll try the "dashboard trick" test tonight. I figured that the chimes were all ok as the seatbelt warning / fuel warning etc worked fine, however if there's a separate buzzer, then that might be the issue. These chimes seemed to come through the Speakers, however it would make sense for this buzzer to be separate as the ignition would no longer be on at that stage.

Just a thought guys - should there be a sound when the drivers door opens with the ignition on? I remember that the dash displays that it is open, but I don't think there is a sound.

If you have chimes enabled, yes. You can do this by scrolling through the computer menu.

Ah, on further investigation, despite chimes being enabled in the menu, there isn't one when the door is opened with the ignition on.

This leads me to believe either the chime unit isn't working, or all such chimes have been disabled in the ELM?

The car doesn't have an odometer reset button, so am having trouble with performing the standard "dashboard trick".

Are chime units prone to going pop? Is there a fuse I can check which is linked to it? (Nothing mentioned on the fuse diagram...)

Cheers

• Like 1

they dont normally go pop. I think it piggy backs off one of the instrument cluster fuses. As it doesnt need its own fuse.

I would be surprised if it has gone pop though. Probably more likely it was disabled.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just thought I'd put in a useful update to this. The dealer fixed the chime problem, ultimately, by what they called a "hard reset". I think this just involved leaving the battery disconnected for 10 mins...

Now onto the rear off-side speaker...

R

• 7 months later...

Well I did reset as above and chime worked for about a month then as soon as we get into early dark nights it decides to stop working can't believe I have to keep doing a reset just for the thing to work

Hi Steve, for future reference.

I had an 09 Focus Zetec and it never saw the inside of a dealership in the four years I had it. I don't know whereabouts in Hampshire you live but anywhere near Southampton then I recommend Tremona. Richard is a Ford trained technician and doesn't give you the dealership b*ll. I've now got a 63 focus Zetec S and unless absolutely necessary(i.e. a manufacturers recall) this one won't be going near Hendy's etc either.

The issue is more likely the door sensor in the catch.

It should beep when the doors opened with engine running and warn the doors open in the display with the right hand red dot next to the display illuminated

• 3 months later...

I have the same issue. Everything works perfect. All chimes switched on but not chime for frost lights on dash or key left in ignition. But I get a warning for leaving lights on and the door is open. I really don't think the previous owner mucked about with this as it was a reps car. Anyone help me? Please

I've had this issue before too.

ELMConfig shows that the option for the warning is ticked but no chime when I leave the lights on.

Using ELMConfig, I untick it, then re-tick it and program that back and it works again.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Sc27

I always check all doors first, see if any generate the warning as that tells you if it's a door or central system issue....

All door sensors fine. They all switch on interior lights and show on display if door is ajar. But keys left in ignition and frost chimes don't work. Is it likely this chime has been switched off? Lights on chime works fine. Whats elmconfig is that something. I could mess about with? Also I'd try disconnecting battery for ten but no radio code supplied with car :(

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club