Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help, So Many Issues

paulcmax08
聽Share

Hi this is my first post so will try include as much detail as poss

I've had my Cmax 08 zetec petrol(manual) for over 2 years and had served me well up until around summer time last year

Here goes....

Around July last year had the alternator replaced, was making a noise and got it replaced when it eventually seized.

Shortly before this my battery had died after sitting with my radio on my lunch break, coincidentally or not the key fob stopped working at all even after replacing the battery and attempting to re program it

Prob around 3 weeks a month after replacing the alternator, my battery was completely dead one morning, jumped it same thing happened next again morning, I got a battery out the scrappys lasted about two weeks so decided to get brand new one, that lasted 3 days.

I spent the next 2 or 3 months jumping it on the odd occasion until it resurfaced around early December

Iv spoke to ford and they wanna charge me 拢130 to plug it into the computer(no thanks, it's January I'm skint). Iv tried to get an indication from them, they say possibly the instrument cluster panel but can't be sure.

I've also had the engine management light appear on the dash whenever it feels like it and also when I go to turn the engine on sometimes everything cuts out and goes blank, but from what I can see from posts on here it's just loose terminals, which is understandable as each night I disconnect the negative to avoid the dead battery situation in the morning and I just hand tighten then nut for quickness

Another minor problem is when i start the engine in this cold weather it start and then shudders and cuts out when air con auto comes on when under 5deg unless I rev the engine til I switch them off

Sorry for the long winded story, I'd just like to see if there is anyone out there who had similar problems and what the solution has been or if you know from experience what it could be. Maybe a loose wiring somewhere from when alternator was replaced? Somehow I think there's more than one problem 馃槱

Hi mick iv no got a multimeter, not sure what that is, I'm guessing that's the thing that checks the voltage output etc? I had my mate check it and he says it's fine was 13.8 or somewhere around there, that was with the battery from scrappy. It's not keyless I'm opening the door manually, when I do I get a beeping time which if I don't turn the key to II the alarm goes off

Ur issue is some circuit on car is draining battery when turned off u need meter do a battery drain test have u done any mods or had any work done which might be causing this when u lock ur car up with battery connected does light on instrument cluster light go off after certain amount time if u can't narrow it down u would have to do battery drain off an start removing fuses one by one see which circuit problem is on

as above sounds like a battery drain somewhere?

you have checked to make sure all interior lights are off.

Yeah iv checked most of the obvious things like boot light, glovebox etc, and the instrument panel does go off after a while. The only work ive had done was the replacement alternator. I'm pretty basic when it comes to knowledge of cars tbh. There's something that makes me think there's something loose somewhere which would explain why it only happens sometimes. It was mentioned to me the earring could be loose from when alternator was replaced The only reason why I've started disconnecting the negative terminal is to avoid it costing me money by not making it to work and also can't really afford anyone to look at it til the end of the month

Mick,

for those like me who have never had to do a leak test before with a multimeter, how would you go about doing it?

Ok drain test lock ur car all doors an boot leave bonnet open but lock the lock wit screw driver remove negative battery terminal an get u meter put black lead in common an red lead in 10amp wit help of crocodile clips clamp red lead to the negative post an black lead to earth terminal u removed put meter to amp(be carefull not to blown fuse in meter)then can take up to half hour for all systems shut down but u it should drop down maximum of.03 of an amp

been looking it up, it seems an easy enough process, its just making sure that you don't short it out!

Yeah it is easy an as u know been u do a lot work yourself James a multimeter is a must have for anyone who likes fixing there own car so at least if u as last resort have to go to a dealer u can tell them wat u tested an reading an a meter will save u fortune of time an money

Agree entirely, I have a multimeter and wouldnt be without it. I keep learning new things about it, but so far it has helped me to at least wire up a self fit cruise control :p

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club