Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Esp And Abs Warning Lights Stuck On

cainam

Hello everyone, just bought my first Ford and I suspect I've been ripped off. Earlier today I got a 2003 2 litre Ghia focus. I took it for a short test drive and everything seemed fine, certainly no warning lights and the fact that it was a low mileage car with full service history made it seem like a safe bet. I was assured by the owner, a doctor who had owned it from new that the car was in good working order other than the front brake pads needing replaced.

Anyway, I drove off happy with my purchase and all seemed well until I hit the motorway at which stage the car started vibrating really badly from around 55 but after a minute or so it smoothed out and was running perfectly until I touched the brakes and the car started vibrating again. A minute or so later the car went back to normal that was until I used the brake again. This happened a few times until eventually after touching the brake the esp and abs warning lights came on and they have been stuck on ever since. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks

I think for starters a visual inspection of the braking system is required! sorry to hear of your problems after just buying the car

• Like 1

Thanks Stef,

Do you think it's the braking system that is causing the car to vibrate?

given that you say it happens after touching the brakes I would say its certainly related. Possibly a sticking caliper causing the brake disc to overheat which obviously needs attention asap. If this is the case then you might well be looking at a wheel bearing soon too if it keeps up.

Out of curiosity, where in Scotland are you? I'm in Fife

Well it actually started vibrating first under acceleration at higher speeds then disappeared and came back under braking. I'll take it to a garage tomorrow and prey that it won't be too expensive as I really can't afford any big bills right now.

I'm in Dundee by the way so not far from the kingdom :)

Hope you got on ok at the garage today? Dod you find out what the problem is?

Thanks for asking mate. It was bad news I'm afraid though you were right it was a sticky front caliper and apparently the car needs pads and discs all around :( Oh and the sump is leaky as well. I got the car checked at Halfords and they quoted £550 for the pads,discs and front caliper. Is this reasonable or will I be able to get the work done cheaper elsewhere. I left the car at an independent garage for them to check it and I'm waiting for them to get back. One things for sure the car i won't be going anywhere in the car until the brakes are sorted. The only positive is that the abs and esp warning lights have gone off.

That is pricey but it is because Halfords know only how to replace parts, so you are paying for a new calliper as well as full price for discs and pads. If you could do it yourself it would probably cost you £80 for the discs and pads all round and you could un-cease the calliper yourself

Unless you know someone who is handy with cars, then you will have to pay the full whack I'm afraid.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone that's handy with a spanner, just keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get some good news from the small garage tomorrow.

Not so good! £550 is a little steep, I would say for discs/pads all round and one caliper your looking at a bit less than that to be honest..

I think you will have better luck at the independent though! I'm guessing you need to get this car back on the road asap for work and things too

Me and the mrs often visit Dundee, I usually visit a particular tool shop just over the bridge lol.

Had much better luck at the independent, don't know how places like Halfords get away with it. Halfords said new pads and discs all round but all it needed was 2 pads on the front, a new front calliper and the sliders on the front callipers needed taken apart. They also threw in a free wheel balance for a grand total of £170. Incidentally it was Annfield Motors in Dundee that I went, was really impressed with the service.

Glad to see you got it sorted relatively cheaply in comparison!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club