Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key Fob Problem

metxger

Hi

Anyone had a problem with there rcl key fob apparently draining its battery. Mine was replaced and all was fine again for a couple of weeks but then would only work next to car so replaced battery again and was ok for same period but now is realy bad again.......i'll have to replace the battery every 2 weeks if i want to use remote locking!

previous cars have been 10 years old and iv'e never replaced battery.

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks

Assuming you've verified the batteries were good to begin with you'll be needing a new remote. I'm guessing batteries? It's the cheaper option. :)

Sounds like a damaged microswitch in the fob causing a continuous contact.

Agree with Clive here. It sounds like the switch could be gone. Your best bet, is to buy a new cheap key off eBay (cut, uncut, doesnt matter as long as you can get the remote part) then, just switch the remote part over from the inside, and pair the car and key together.

Hi

Thanks for all replies on this issue. I don't Think it's a battery thing as first replacement came from a Ford dealer and second from my local strore, both batteries have gone flat in about 2 weeks, not completely but enough to make it quicker to stick the key in the lock.

Other people seem to have the same thing on other makes and models and it seems to be damage fob with a short Circuit or something, probably when the wife has dropped it on the tiled floor.

If I get hold of the fob part and put it on my existing key is it possible for me to program it? Ford want £85 for fob and £80 for an hour in the workshop and they said they may not even be able to do it as they need two keys, although i have two keys though, a dodgy remote one and a manual spare...........is this sufficient?

Looking on you tube etc people are saying you just stick the key in the ignition turn it on and off 4 times and press any button on the fob..........surley it's not that easy?

I tried this with current key and didn't get any beeps or bleeps to say it was doing anything.

Thanks very much

Hi MIke,

Oddly, the programming of the key fob to the car really is that easy!

Its just the programming of the keys to the immobiliser that no longer is!

Buy a fob off eBay, keep your original battery gousinfg (needed as it also holds the Immobiliser chip to start the car).

Keep the original key blade, and just swap over the central locking section (half case and buttons/circuit).

Easy to programme-

Insert the unprogrammed ignition key and turn from position II (Ignition) to position 0 (All off) and back four times within three seconds.

Remove the ignition key. The locking control system is now in "learn mode" for the next 20 seconds and the red warning system LED (Immobiliser Light) usually stays on continuously to indicate this.

During the 20 seconds press one of the transmitter buttons. The remotes signal and code number is learned by the locking module and is indicated by flashing the warning system LED.

Wait until learn mode times out (20 seconds) or switch the ignition back to ON.