Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Valve?

rayray2000

I've been reading that its a good idea to use egr blanking plate.

What's people's opinions on this?

Will my engine management light come on?

I have a 55 plate 1.8tdci focus lx estate.

Thanks

• Like 1

You should have no issues with the engine light. I have the blank on my 2005 CMAX (1.6) and no issues at all.

Generally, we rate them very well here. More boost, more response from the engine and less agro!

• Like 1

Thank you!!

I've decided to blank it. I've bought a stainless steel one as they seem better. Does anyone happen to know where it is located on a 55 plates 1.8tdci focus estate? Looking at tutorials they seem for other models etc.

Thank you !

• Like 1

+1 stainless steel blanking plate with no center hole are the best job,

Anything other than stainless steel eventually breaks through,

And a blanking plate with a hole; well its not worth using because someone went and drilled a hole in the centre of it :rolleyes:

I recommend fitting a green cotton performance induction filter after blanking your egr,

Your induction system will supply 100% of the induction when blanked compared to 80% not blanked.

Bottom line: blanking the egr and fitting a performance filter direct replacement type will increase your mpg, reduce your turbo lag and prolong the life of your turbo and future oil changes.

here, same place as mine

med_gallery_68794_685_1330843.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for all your help. I will definitely look at the green cotton filters, bit pricey but I guess if it helps keep the car ticking over then it's worth it. That picture isn't showing up martyn for some reason. Thank you though

• Like 1

as you look at your engine, on the left hand rear side of the engine cover you will see your electronic egr valve... then you should see a metal pipe that runs into it, this is where you block it off......

• Like 1

Thanks for all your help. I will definitely look at the green cotton filters, bit pricey but I guess if it helps keep the car ticking over then it's worth it. That picture isn't showing up martyn for some reason. Thank you though

Regarding the green cotton performance filter,

If you click on my aviator picture to the left of the screen, it will bring you t my profile page.

On my profile page you will see 28 guides,

Click on each link to view the specific guide.

There's on there for the green cotton performance filter,

In that guide there is a link to purchase from priracing aswell as a 10% discount code for the filters ;)

Thanks mate. Is it pretty easy to access? I read somewhere you have to remove a lot.

• Like 1

no dont pay attention to that.

Ive just been out to mine just to double check, i used a 10mm stubby spanner for the top right bolt, and a 10mm with a 1/4" ratchet on the botton left bolt..... took me about 3 mins in total to place in and fasten up... but it is a tight squeeze though.....

• Like 1

Thanks everyone :)

Hi 5 Great Success

Looks like my car is a euro4 engine. So does this mean that my eml is going to come on?

Bit concerned about doing the mod now. Some people say it can mask problems if the lights on and if you get the code deleted it will come back. Confused.com haha!

Do it,

i have the same engine, no EML since feb last year since i fitted the blanking plate. car runs better :)

Looks like my car is a euro4 engine. So does this mean that my eml is going to come on?

Bit concerned about doing the mod now. Some people say it can mask problems if the lights on and if you get the code deleted it will come back. Confused.com haha!

I've done it on my 2010 DV6 engine and no EML's

Ford mechanic even told me I was right to blank it,

I told him I had blanked encase an Emil light was to pop up on there system,

I wanted them to know I had blanked it encase they would spent hours of labour costs sourcing a suspected issue.

But when I said the egr was blanked,

He said the engine will be all the better for it,

That's almost two years ago now, 80,000km later still no eml's or error codes

• Like 1

Thank you for that everyone. Do I need to clean the egr before blanking it ? Is that an easy job ?

• Like 1

Thank you for that everyone. Do I need to clean the egr before blanking it ? Is that an easy job ?

No need to clean because it will be in quarantine from the engine and induction system when you blank it,

Excellent. Thanks to all of you for all your help. Really appreciate it :)

• Like 1

Just blank it .... best thing I have done wish id done it sooner......

• Like 1

I ran WHYNNS EGR cleaner through it just before I blanked it. The hope was that the whynns would soke into the carbon and weaken it, so that in the future, if I needed to take the blank off, I could get a garage to clean it more easily, but to be honest, I dont see that day coming...

• Like 1

Hi buddy, I don't know what you are playing at, but why would Ford pay out for all that research on putting an EGR Valve in if it's better to not have one in at all??? While you are under the bonnet why not remove you're glow plugs aswell???

I think you should have some serious thought on this, and go back to doing a bit more research.

Regards

John

(Mechanic for Half my life)

Hi John,

Every one is entitled to their own opinions, so if someone chooses to blank it that is there choice.

Most of us have experienced an improvement in reliability, driveability and performance by fitting a blanking plate. As well you know, most of the systems on these cars these days is nothing more than EU enforcement, this is why Ford invest the time, not necessarily (as a point of view) to improve the car, but to comply with the guffins enforced.

Its each to their own at the end of the day!

And to be fair, you dont necessarily need glow plugs. As long as the temperature is right, a diesel can start without them, but would struggle in colder conditions ;)

• Like 5

IMG_20140116_140811_zps9b9411d9.jpg

Hi john,

Welcome to the forum,

Take some time out to research the forum rules and follow them by introducing yourself in the "newbie section"

I notice if you filled the vehicle description out correctly on your profile correctly; you drive an ST understandably its not a modern diesel engine so your personal concern over egr blanking of your own vehicle is non existent.

Moving on from this mate; ford didn't design the modern diesel engines which they have fittted to there cars ;) which half of your life did you spend being the mechanic ?

My guess is; youve spent the first half

And now spending the second half being an arrogant !Removed! hole

The diesel engines ford now use with the exemption of the 1.8tdci are. Citroen Peugeot engines,

Ford head puffin a cigar got on the phone too gas monkey "gimmie cheap diesel engine that's economical, we'll sort the body just gimme something cheap with high mpg" they don't care about long term reliability that doesn't make money as I'm sure you as a mechanic yourself are well aware; fix it right the first time they won't be back motto.

Take a seat for this one; your ST engine.. its a Volvo mate, not a ford designs engine neither, has the inlet penillum split on you yet? Due at around 25,000 research that as it applies to your motor directly.

Aswell as the headlight washer jet covers known to depart from the body at 5,000 upwards,

Now on diesel engines the egr valve recirculates waste gasses in to the induction system instead of 100% clean air, this is in a bid to create an engine that wins stars on the European sales market for fuel efficiency and lowest in class emissions,

They want to sell, sell, sell, they no longer care about reliability.

The recirculation of waste gases is proven to contaminate the oil with excessive levels of carbon thus blocking oil feed pipes to the turbo causing turbo failure and excessive engine wear,

If I was a car manufacturer or a mechanic Id be all in favour of the egr and agents blanking it,

Why?

Because as a car manufacturer or a mechanic Id be making more money replacing blown turbos, blocked oil feed pipes, contaminated induction systems and carbon caked oil sumps.

But since I'm not either, as an independent road user and daily driver of an egr equipped vehicle I have done my research and decided the best option for me with my car is to blank the egr valve and prolong the life of my 32,000euro four wheeled investment.

I'm speaking from experience with diesel engine and from my experience buddy when it comes to egr blanking and understanding its functionality your speaking from your anal passage.

Typical mechanic too,

Opting to change the glow plugs when in discussion about working on a completely different part of the car :lol:

Any chance your a ford mechanic?

They changed my whole pollen filter housing when changing the pollen filter,

I'm not here to convince anyone to do anything,

I'm talking from personal experience and sharing that with others.

The ford mechanics don't design the cars, the he ford mechanic agreed with me on banking the egr,

He doesn't drive a ford body or Peugeot engine, he drove a Daewoo,

Again his personal experience added to my own personal experience and research after all he's servicing the things every day, he doesn't design them but he sees the wear and tare and with that knowledge he agreed yes blanking egr is most certainly the thing to do for lower carbon contamination.

2d2jaip.jpg

• Like 7