Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk2 Led Lights

Jockstar

No probs bud, I'll take a look this evening if I get time. Think my old tailgate might be lying in the folks' shed is the only thing, but will try get round after work. I didn't get mine form Ford, got it through a classifieds section of another forum for a lot cheaper than that, stroke of luck really. Just made sure the clips were all intact and the lenses came with it!

Might be an idea to check local breakers or eBay. Think you're colour is pretty rare, but if you were gonna get one colour coded soon anyway you could pick up one in any colour.

As for headlights, my car actually came with the chrome adaptive cornering halogen projectors, but I like the black lights and was lucky enough to pick up a set of black ST xenons. If I sell the car anytime soon I'll have a spare set of headlights in that case, but dunno if you'd be interested in either. Those aftermarket ones are pretty decent by all accounts!

I just bought a set of Depo lights to darken down my front end a bit (£62).

I have heard that they are likely to mist up a couple of times but will settle down once they equalise with the atmosphere.

I bought a new bulb holder/lens to replace the one that has suffered from water ingress. Comes with the two screws to secure it and a new bulb. I don't need the new bulb but one of the screws already on the car is worn so they'll come in handy. I've not fitted it yet as until I get to the bottom of how the water is getting in, there's not much point letting the new one go the same way.

I've read that if you undo the two screws inside the tailgate where you put your hands to hold onto the boot the inner trim pulls off. You then unscrew 4 bolts on the inside of the tailgate to release the plastic trim above the registration plate. Some people run sealant along that area before refitting the trim and apparently this can make the water issue go away. Might be a solution.

IMG_10641_zpsbb36b317.jpg

IMG_10651_zps02734f5b.jpg

I've also noticed that the side that has water ingress has one screw that just keeps spinning. One screw seems to tighten up whereas the other one gets a little tighter, then just spins round without getting anymore tight. This might be something or nothing. I'd get in and investigate but the weather in Central Scotland is rather crap at the moment!

Hi mate, sorry about the delay getting back, aint been on here in a few days...

So, I grabbed my boot handle the other night and took a couple of snaps, poor quality but hopefully you can still make it out...First pic shows the driver's side - a little mounting bracket and a round white pop clip. Second pic is passenger side - bracket and clip are both missing.

post-30295-0-55845100-1389968733_thumb.j

post-30295-0-56912900-1389968768_thumb.j

It's pretty easy taken off, as you say, it's just a matter of removing the interior boot plastics (two screws but lots of little pop clips so needs a good tug), then 4 10mm hex bolts holding the tailgate trim on. On mine, the clip round clip on the passenger side was gone, I could actually pull the trim away from the boot a bit when it was 'fully fitted' so I'm sure this was the source of my water ingress, confirmed by the fact it was only that side that was affected and the fact that it hasn't happened since!

Another pointer on the water ingress, it can eventually cause problems with your boot switch too! Mine started playing up last year, I took it apart, cleaned it up and WD40'd it and it was fine til Christmas there. But the recent wet and cold weather has made it temperamental again! At the min it only works with the key fob button. Gonna strip/clean it again this avo as a last chance before sourcing a replacement. Will try take pics as I go if interested, but it's pretty straightforward and self-explanatory when you get started.

One word of caution if removing the tailgate handle...take it gently as possible popping out the clips as you'd hate for them to be intact now and break them upon removal! If all is ok then a drop of sealant might be your best bet.

PS Glad you're sorted for the lens and bulb holder! I thought my spares were still in the handle trim, but they weren't, so they've either fallen out somewhere or I removed them and can't remember where I left them!

Thanks for the pictures. I can make out the bit that you're talking about that's missing. I'll just need to see what mine looks like when I remove it.

I'll update this when I take it apart!

Update on Cree reverse bulb-

I bought this one with multiple Cree LED's-

post-28494-0-68057600-1390000383_thumb.j

To replace this one with only one Cree LED-

post-28494-0-05079000-1390000542_thumb.j

Trust me when I say that the light is more intense and fills the lens far better although the camera can't define any difference between the two due to light brightness.

To the naked eye the new bulb is much brighter and has a superior spread.

post-28494-0-77566400-1390000709_thumb.j

post-28494-0-57215500-1390000900_thumb.j

• Like 1

That's the one I ordered. Waiting at the post office for me :)

• Like 1

Well worth the price IMHO.

You won't look back (pardon the pun :d)

• Like 1

Just thought I'd update this as I've fitted the Cree reverse bulb that Stoney was referring to above. I also tried to fit the Cree 501 bulb but it's too damn big for either the central rear brake light or as a front sidelight bulb. Glad I only bought one to dip my toe in the water!

Here's the video of the reverse light. Not bad for broad daylight!

http://s334.photobucket.com/user/Jockstar205gti/media/IMG_10761_zpsfa917018.mp4.html?sort=3&o=9

I'll put a bigger update on my project thread.

• Like 1

Well I waited for the review, now that seller has sold out. Ill wait a couple of days and order one.

Good review thanks

Daz.

The cree reverse bulbs are error free,

Cree reverse bulbs have built in transformers and resistors.

You can send 24v or 12v supply to a Cree reverse bulb and it will work just the same,

But purchase them from the uk, because cree from china are replica items that don't work at all

+1 definitely, buy from a UK seller. I was stung with my fake chinese cree LED, when I did the dual reverse mod, very very annoying ;)

one thing to note, some of these chinese sellers have gotten wise and put the item location as some random city in the UK. However if you look at their feedback, there are an army of buyers, complaining about the item coming from china, rather than the UK, so that's always a tell tell sign.

• Like 1

Well I finally got my hands on some LED sidelight bulbs. I ordered these http://www.alltronix.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=37 but when they sent them out they actually gave me these instead http://www.alltronix.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=211 as the original ones I had ordered were out of stock.

Before picture with standard sidelight bulbs:

IMG_11191_zps8aa69221.jpg

And after the LED sidelight bulbs were put in:

IMG_11221_zps68c9c3ac.jpg

I changed the headlight bulbs as well but technically that would be going off topic as they're obviously not LED Bulbs. I'll put a seperate update on my project thread :)

John are you still happy with the Leds ?

Daz

To be fair, my car went away to the paint shop the day after these photos were taken so I've not had a chance to look at them properly etc. However, based on my initial opinion, I'd say I'm more than happy. I was disappointed with my headlight bulbs but that's another story.

I took a photo of them shortly after it got dark. I think this photo speaks for itself:

IMG_11231_zps3dd8b088.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Still buying bulbs lol............I tried to buy 380 double contact Cree Q5 bulbs from Alltronix but they stated they are no longer in stock and they weren't intending on getting them back in. I found this link on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Rear-Tail-Brake-Stop-Lights-Lamp-CREE-Q5-LED-Bulb-BA15S-380-P21-5W-RED-1157-/290940956315?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43bd6eae9b

But the picture of the bulb looks different to the Alltronix one here:

http://www.alltronix.co.uk/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=322

Are the eBay bulbs fake?

Just incase anyone was thinking of doing the interior light in the mk2 Focus (basic single interior light) it's a 42mm Festoon. I bought this one from Alltronix:

http://www.alltronix.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=27

IMG_11521_zps62d83fc8.jpg

Looks much better in real life. Definitely brighter than the original yellow looking festoon.

I also fitted another LED sidelight bulb in my boot :

IMG_11531_zps13a89919.jpg

As Stoney has suggested, it's best to first remove fuse number 80 from the fuse box underneath the glove box. I blew the fuse in the car with relative ease. It's a 10 amp fuse by the way. Fuse number 80 seems to be for both the interior and boot light.

See how those sidelight leds work out they tend to go faulty quickly sometimes days weeks or months later as the heat from the mk2 headlight kills them thats why i stopped buying leds for the lights

The dipped headlight bulb kills the LED because of heat soak?

On the note of side lights, what type are people using? I have tried led ones, not entirely sure where I got them from but one of them has failed and now looks like I'm a mobile disco.

have a look at my build thread (link in the signature) thats the 501W I use and they are still going strong!

I had 5 smd ones that flickered without using dipped beam maybe they were just be cheap, Just bought some cree ones wonder how long they will last :mellow:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club