Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Going From 17" To 18" Alloys

tomo91

Hi all I was just wandering if it brought any implications or problems going from 17" to 18" alloys? Currently have 17s on the ZS and thinking if it's worth going to 18s. Thanks for any help!

• Like 1

Steering rack limiter kit is needed for 18's check Lenny's links on his profile.

• Like 1

I've done the same but not really sure you need the limiter you should rarely use full lock at a sort of speed and it's on full lock only that the wheel will catch the arch liner

• Like 1

Iv had my 18"s on for over a year and i havent got a steering rack limiter you might here it catch now and then when on full lock but only at that time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

I'm gonna be doing this myself this month or next month soon as the alloys I want are in stock

I've already bought the rack limiter kit. Thought I might as well as it's only 15quid

• Like 2

Steering rack limiter kit is needed for 18's check Lenny's links on his profile.

+1 the steering limiter kit is advised perticurally if you lower the vehicle after fitting the 18" rims,

Ford st rims are 18x8" wide however if your fitting alloys that are 18x7.5 then you probably wouldnt need the limiter kit in any case,

It does limit steering find it difficult on performing U turns, you know the days your driving to work and forgot your lunch,

Performing a U turn on the road with the limiter kit causes you to dip in to the layby aswell :lol:

I've done the same but not really sure you need the limiter you should rarely use full lock at a sort of speed and it's on full lock only that the wheel will catch the arch liner

Thanks for the feedback, as I've not driven without the limiter kit fitted, have you lowered yours aswell or just fitted the 18"

Ah okay thanks for your help guys, I want the black rs style 18s on mine and may consider purchasing now, is the steering lack limiter a DIY job or garage? I'm not planning on lowering the car either

• Like 1

Ah okay thanks for your help guys, I want the black rs style 18s on mine and may consider purchasing now, is the steering lack limiter a DIY job or garage? I'm not planning on lowering the car either

It consists of two polyurethane rings and for jubilee clips,

Very messy job,

Remove the CV boot,

Fit the blue polyurethane ring to the inside ball joint,

Refit the CV boot using the supplied jubilee clips,

The ring stops the turning by the width of the ring itself 5cm off your existing full lock.

The kit comes with fully illustrated instructions,

As charlie says its around 15 quid

Id get a garage to do it given the mess of CV joint grease

You will also need to use a modified elm327 to tell the GEM your Rollin 18"

This changes the ESP parameters to kick in less aswell as correcting your speedo.

Also if you can; get yourself some Avon ZZ3 tyres great grip on the road with the 18x8 rims

how do you use the elm to tell the gem that lenny?

• Like 1

how do you use the elm to tell the gem that lenny?

Its on one of the pages of elm config says ST/RS alloys and has a box to tick

Been over two years since I've used elm config so I assume its only gotten better with age,

This option was on the first ever English release,

Speedo over reads by 6mph anyways on the analogue gauge,

You can see this if you access the "secret menu" and scroll to speedo digital readout

Then go for a drive,

You will see the digital speed is lower than the analogue speedo.

I've yet to tell the gem its rolling 18s via the elm config as I've not replaced my broken laptop yet :rolleyes:

can't seem to find that tick box

dont like the idea of fitting the limiter kit now either if its gonna mess up me turning circle lol

can't seem to find that tick box

dont like the idea of fitting the limiter kit now either if its gonna mess up me turning circle lol

Its either your turning circle or inner wheel arch "nom nom nom"

i've got 19's with no rack limiter and have had no issues at all, even when it was lowered! yes the wheel maybe close to the arch liner on full turn but it does not rub or cause any problems. i even bought the kit but didnt fit it.

• Like 1

i've got 19's with no rack limiter and have had no issues at all, even when it was lowered! yes the wheel maybe close to the arch liner on full turn but it does not rub or cause any problems. i even bought the kit but didnt fit it.

What width are the 19" mate,

As Lenny says, I think the width is important...every half inch counts!!

I had aftermarket 18 x 7.5 wheels on my car when I bought it, car was significantly lowered as well, not sure exactly how much, but it's a good bit anyway! Had no issues at all at that stage, then when I fitted genuine Ford ST 18s which are 18 x 8 I have rubbing on the driver's front wheel arch on full left lock. Not sure about any difference in offset between the two wheels though.

I don't find it that big of a problem. As mentioned above, you're never on full lock at any sort of speeds anyway, so I haven't bothered fitting the rack limiter kit...which is just lazy, I know!

Are they genuine Ford RS 18s or aftermarket ones? I think a lot of aftermarket ones are 7.5 wide, which if you're not planning to lower either, means you should be ok without. And even take Sal's case where he was able to fit 19s, lower it, and still not have any issues!

If it were me, I honestly wouldn't bother. The kit's not expensive either so could always trial it first and have it fitted after the wheels if you do experience any issues. Just my opinion though! (Insert disclaimer here how I accept no liability blah blah blah...haha ;) )

• Like 1

So if I bought a set of 18x7.5 alloys and fitted them I wouldn't need a steering lack limiter kit but I would need to configure the speedo to tell it's rolling 18s?

your speedo will be out by a few mph so just remember this when your driving near any speed camera's. cant remember if your going faster or slower...someone answer this please.

answer my own question: you go faster...slightly

use this website

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator?wscr=1024x768

might be a good idea to see how far out your speedo is by using a satnav to determine your speed versus car speedo!

You will notice if you set a set nav up that your speedo is about 5 mph out so so you are showing 45 on your speedo your true speed will be 40 and this goes on through the legal speed range on your speedo .and I didn't notice any difference when I changed to 18s so really wouldn't worry about elm config .

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club