Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Vent R`emoval??

dho1977

I appear to have something sliding back and forth behind the dash when I go round corners??

My guess is that something, sound like a pen, has been dropped down the air vents, and is now stuck in there!

Is there anyway to remove the air vents out of the dash (ideally without breaking them) so I can get in to see if my suspicions are correct?

• Like 1

Yes they just lever out - use a blunt butter knife to prise them out of the recesses.

• Like 1

I appear to have something sliding back and forth behind the dash when I go round corners??

My guess is that something, sound like a pen, has been dropped down the air vents, and is now stuck in there!

Is there anyway to remove the air vents out of the dash (ideally without breaking them) so I can get in to see if my suspicions are correct?

Hi David,

I've swapped out my standard air vents for the titanium spec ones that have the chrome centre button.

If the smax has the same vents

Then you need two flat head screwdrivers

Look in to the inside top of the vent,

Slide in the screwdrivers and gently pull down the clips that grip inside the dash on the inside top of the vent.

Once there pressed down slide out the vent,

Don't prise agents the dash mate you'll wreck it.

OK thanks for that guys, i did try to give it a gentle wiggle, but suspected there would be some clips holding them in somewhere which I'd prefer not to snap off.

I'll have another look, and if no joy I'll post up a pic of my vents.

cheers again

• Like 1

Really it's very easy. Just slide a blunt knife in and lever out.

I've done it many times on my S-max - it's held in with friction - nothing else - you won't break anything.

• Like 1

post-49560-0-87928700-1389617992_thumb.j

post-49560-0-65063400-1389618004_thumb.j

I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to stuff like this.....always worried i'll cause more damage than actually fix the issue....

I had another look at my vents and could not see any obvious clips, i took a couple of pics

I didnt bother with the clips, I just inserted a screwdriver into the edge and levered them out (on my old Focus)

I dont see why with some care you couldnt do the same here!

yes they do just slide out.....got a bit brave and took a knife to them.....have now removed the 3 central and drivers side vents but still struggling to identify what it is sliding around back there!

Probably need an extra pair of eyes to look, while i hang it round a few corners. Plus my hands are too big to get in there and have a good feel about.

thanks for your help anyway

• 2 weeks later...

You might get lucky with a magnetic pick-up - then again it could be a (nonn-magnetic) coin lol.

Leave them removed and take it for a driver, has the noise gone?

annoyingly, i removed them and the noise stopped....guess whatever it is, is now lodged somewhere.....but at least its not sliding around for now....

if you put them back in and it starts again, it could be one of the directional sliders has come loose, so the turns and the g force is rolling it out to the side?

possibly, but it sounded like a pen sliding along the whole length of the dash.......if thats possible

it could be but if its stopped for now, drive with no vents, so that they cannot trap whatever may be there. If there is something there it may shake loose!

the problem will be getting in there to get it...my hands are far too big to fit down the holes..... :D

drive it rough for a few days, try make the car fly over hills, that might shake it loose :p

:) yeah it shook lose again, guess the vents will be out again when i have 5 mins.........

Here's a rather bizarre idea.

Get a longish stick or ruler that's long enough to go all the way in and yet stick out from the vent opening far enough so you don't risk adding that stick to your mystery 'collection'. I haven't an idea how the vent trunking is shaped - you may have to improvise with a stick that's flexible, perhaps a flexible rule or such - the idea is to be able to reach the 'bottom' trough where you suspect the object may be sliding past.

Tape loops of narrow width masking the wrong way round (sticky side out) to one end and secure well with tape (the right way round). Lower the stick gently into the vent, and leave it be. If you're up to it, make a couple more...

Go for a drive and take a few turns either way. If you're lucky, you might catch on something.

Think fishing...

Lift the stick/siticks gently out to see if you've gotten lucky.

lol....i like the idea!! but what bait should i use to lure it out!!

seriously though, its gonna have to be something like that.....trouble is finding the time to have a proper go at it.....

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club