Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Y Cable

JAR897

Well, tried my iPod Touch in the Fiesta today. Connected via USB only - the white Apple cable. Display comes up with all the navigation features but no noise comes out. So had to revert to using the Line In.

The USB will power (I think?) and send the track data etc to the stereo, you still need the line-in plugged in for the sound.

I know that's not how other iPods kits do it, but for some reason that's Ford's way...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nipz

• FMC

• TonyEssex

• meddyliol

Top Posters In This Topic

I only sped read thru the thread, but does the Y cable work with the iPhone 3GS?

I haven't got a usb, but my iPhone works fine however it tries to connect through my blutooth, so in order to play my music i have to press the bluetooth symbol (bottom right of itunes)and turn it to audio/speakers/headseat instead of bluetooth and it works fine. and the bluetooth still works too. sounds odd i know.

• 2 weeks later...

When I knew you could get the USB on the new Fiesta, I went out and bought an 80GB classic, and when I ordered the car August 2008, I ordered the USB, and received it November 2008, and it worked fine, with either USB and Stereo cable, or Y cable, then late last year, I upgraded to a Touch 3rd gen, at 64GB as I couldn't watch the videos on the classic!

Now this connected fine, then has now decided not to connect as and when it likes, although it charges each and every time.

Sometimes when I connect it, it says Connecting Ipod Device, and it connects, but when I press AUX, nothing happens, it stays on radio, all the other buttons work, then when I disconnect it says Ipod device disconnected, and then it won't reconnect.

I also have an 8GB iPhone, which will connect everytime!

It has been annoying me for a few weeks now, and even when I leave it plugged in the car, like tonight, when I went out, it was connected and playing, when I got back in, it wasn't connected or working, except for the couple of times when the AUX button wouldn't work!

HELP!

Mark

So sorted it, I now have my old 80GB classic in the car, and my Y cable is slightly knackered, at the pod end, where the cab;e has popped out, anyway, I have a mophie juice Air round my iPhone, with the most useless usb plug you've seen, so bought a usb charger, where I can just plug the USB cable in to, but this came with a black cable, so using that, and phono cable, I can hide the ipod under the seat! Another point, when the touch wanted to work, I had to unplug the phono and re-plug it to make the sound come through, with the old classic, it works every time without fail!

• 2 years later...

Hello,

So I am a bit confuzled.

I've just got a new Econetic with the special USB port and audio-in sockets. I dont use any Y cable! I just plug a standard iPhone USB charger leader (a retractable poundland one!) into the special usb socket. and I get full audio, skippable from steering wheel. I have absolutely nothing plugged into the audio 3.5mm jack. Wat extra benefits if any will a proper 'Y' cable give me?

I have an iPhone 3GS. I should also say that sometimes the stereo doesnt immediately register my iPhone in which case I just pull the usb out and plug it back in again and then it works - a minor irritation.

Prior to this car I had a fiesta *without* special USB socket so I used to have a USb-phone cable plugged in via the round power socket and a 3.5-3.5 cable. That worked fine but of course I had to use phone to skip tracks.

Melissa

Hello,

So I am a bit confuzled.

I've just got a new Econetic with the special USB port and audio-in sockets. I dont use any Y cable! I just plug a standard Iphone USB charger leader (a retractable poundland one!) into the special usb socket. and I get full audio, skippable from steering wheel. I have absolutely nothing plugged into the audio 3.5mm jack. Wat extra benefits if any will a proper 'Y' cable give me?

I have an Iphone 3GS. I should also say that sometimes the stereo doesnt immediately register my iphone in which case I just pull the usb out and plug it back in again and then it works - a minor irritation.

Prior to this car I had a fiesta *without* special USB socket so I used to have a USb-phone cable plugged in via the round power socket and a 3.5-3.5 cable. That worked fine but of course I had to use phone to skip tracks.

Melissa

Nothing to worry about since the last ford audio update in April you no longer need the aux cable only the USB to get all functions and sound. Gets rid or the need for the ford y cable which makes a change them saving us money

• 2 months later...

Nothing to worry about since the last ford audio update in April you no longer need the aux cable only the USB to get all functions and sound. Gets rid or the need for the ford y cable which makes a change them saving us money

sambooka, where is the latest audio update? My car doesn't appear to have the update and irritatingly, I've just bought a y cable but luckily, it only cost £3.00!

sambooka, where is the latest audio update? My car doesn't appear to have the update and irritatingly, I've just bought a y cable but luckily, it only cost £3.00!

I bought one of these cables for around £15 off Ford, most used thing on the whole car :P

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club