Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Duratec 1.8 Pfi Engine

Invisible Man

Hi guys.

Ive got a 2010 focus with the 1.8 petrol engine in it. It has developed a squeaking noise from the what sounds like the bottom end left hand side of the engine.

I know that there is a belt on that side that drives some things.

Its booked in at the garage on saturday morning, but is it safe to drive in the meantime?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

It is most likely the belt, could be water pump, how's the coolant level and does the squeek or chirp go away?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Ford OC mobile app

Coolant levels are fine, as is the temp gauge. Sits at 90 all the time. But does get there very quickly from a cold start, maybe i'm used to having an 11 year old 1.2 litre Corsa that takes about 5 weeks to get warm???

The squeak seems to go quiet and then get louder sometimes, seemed to get really bad last night when I had been driving in monsoon like conditions on the motorway.

I've rang the garage to try and get it in sooner if I can, waiting for a call back

Has it been raining since it started and is the lower belt cover missing? It would seem the belt is slipping and when getting wet that would make it worse, they put a cover on to stop road moisture from affecting the belts though, or perhaps you had a lot of electrical devices running and that put extra strain on the belt, you could with the engine off and the keys in your pocket give the belt a push with your finger, it shouldn't move more than about an inch at absolute maximum, if it does then that'd what is making the noise and it will need tightening.

• Like 1

Squeaking noise should be fine to drive, it could just be a dry bearing, or a worn belt.

Basically, I bought the car about 6 weeks ago. When driving it home, I was sat at the lights and heard a very light squeak coming from the engine, I had the window down, it can't be heard with it up. I then drove it about another 100 yards and some bint smashed into the corner of it.

I hadn't had the car since then until last Friday and noticed it as soon as I started the car up.

Over the past week it has got louder, but I have installed a Sub & Amp, and a Dash Cam to protect me against idiotic drivers.

It also has the built in Sat Nav, so I'm assuming that draws more power than a normal unit????

In this case I would just say that I it's worn or a bit loose give it a poke and have a look for frayed edges, also have a feel of the underside of the belt where possible for cracks or chunks missing.

Will do, cheers boys.

Will it cause damage if it were to snap?

Just been out to the car, and the belt is solid. No play in it at all, not even 1mm of movement when I tried to push it forwards or backwards.

I also tried to push it down inbetween two pulleys and there was no movement there either. Seemed very tight

I think the water pump is driven from the cam chain on yours so apart from a flat battery and no PS you would be okay, it's more a case of how long can you stand the noise to be fair, mine has a stretchy belt with no tensioner and even after changing it it still chirps a little when cold but as I can't hear it with the windows up I just leave it knowing the belt is new.

Its under warranty anyway, so I won't be paying for anything, I just don't want to cause any damage by continuing to drive it.

I'm sure they will sort it anyway

They will just change the belt under the warranty and give all the pulleys a turn to check those, I wouldn't worry about it just take the original appointment. It will keep going no problem.