Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New vs Nearly new

StuartM

I am a recent new member to this forum and what has surprised me is the number of people who have purchased or have on order the new fiesta. I thought the forum would be full of people with older cars.

Is nobody worried about depreciation? I thought there was a credit crunch on!

I bought my mk6 (6 months old with 2k miles) back in January and paid £7,600 for it. Was £12k new.

If I had bought from new I would have lost over a third of its value in 6 months, a whopping £4,400!

I know that to get exactly what you want you need to buy brand new, but there will soon be, if not already, pre-reg mk7s out there to be snapped up at a bargain if you're not too fussy.

I am a recent new member to this forum and what has surprised me is the number of people who have purchased or have on order the new fiesta. I thought the forum would be full of people with older cars.

I bought my mk6 (6 months old with 2k miles) back in January and paid £7,600 for it. Was £12k new.

If I had bought from new I would have lost over a third of its value in 6 months, a whopping £4,400!

I know that to get exactly what you want you need to buy brand new, but there will soon be, if not already, pre-reg mk7s out there to be snapped up at a bargain if you're not too fussy.

I think the reason a lot of people bought new, was that there wasn't a lot of difference between new prices (when you shopped around) and used. Also, there wasn't a lot of used cars out there, again making it difficult to buy a second hand car in the colour and spec you wanted. Obviously, the longer the car is in production, the more choice becomes available and the prices will come down. There are advantages of buying new just like there are cons.

Your post got me wondering, so I've just done a quick check on Autotrader and the cheapest* new shape Fiesta Titanium on there is £10,995 on a 58 plate and 4400 miles and has no options fitted that I can see other than metallic paint. I paid £60 more than that for a brand new Titanium with the options below in my sig.

Of course those prices will be negotiable, but I suppose it goes some way to answering your question.

I'm discounting the one in NI which has 8,600 miles and no options for £10,495.

Same as Keith, when I was looking I did consider buying a second hand new Fiesta but found the price was near enough the same without the options!

Tbh it was a good time to buy becuase of the econmic climate there are much better deals to be had! A dealer would rather sell a car and make little profit than not sell any at all.

People need to continue to buy new cars, if we didnt we would not be helping the economy one little bit! That aside I wanted a new car I wanted to know that I was the owner at first registration! :) hehe Silly I know!

I wasn't supposed to be buying a new car this year. I had it in mind to buy one next year after all my debts were paid off. I'm 45 and I've never had a brand new car and I've been driving for 23 years. I thought, the girls are going to Uni, I'm on my own, job is as secure as its going to get, let me see what is out there. I had in mind the Audi A3, VW Golf or Mini. All those cars were too much and I wasn't able to leave a big deposit like they wanted. I went to a Ford dealers local to me to see what they had. I have never liked any of the Fiestas! They never did a thing for me and wasnt really thinking of getting any Ford car. But once I clapped eyes on the new Fiesta and sat in the Zetec with its mobile looking dash and chromy bits I was hooked. I only chose the Titanium because my sister preferred the wheels! And then after ordering my car I felt guilty for buying it cos friends I know were being made redundant left right and centre and I felt I couldnt speak about my car. Which is how I found the forum. I wanted to find other like minded excited people waiting for their cars and showing pics of their cars. Yes there is a recession going on but if you are able to afford to buy a new car great. I don't think everyone should just stop living just because we are going through hard times. Some people have had hard times for years and its only just now they are getting out of it. I am happy that the only debt I will have will be my car. At least I can see where my money is going!

The reason why i picked a new Fiesta was simple. It's cheaper than a 2nd hand car. The prices dealers want for a 2nd hand new fiesta is stupid. Also it works out cheaper on finance as you can't normally get a pcp finance deal on older cars.

In the current problems of the country, buying new is the best option as the dealers are offering great discounts just to sell some cars.

We also bought new for similar reasons as others here have already said. You can haggle really well on brand new cars at the moment, less so on nearly new. So cost difference is negligible and you get the exact colour and spec you want as well as full 3yrs warranty.

We were in a similar situation when we bought the C4 Picasso last year - by the time finance was taken into consideration the overall price of buying brand new was cheaper than buying nearly new at nearly £4000 cheaper than brand new. We got £2k cashback & 4 yrs 0% finance, brand new in the colour we wanted.

We started looking at nearly new Focus 1.6tdci's - except we didn't find any because they are rarer than rocking horse poo so really expensive - we could have bought a nearly new 1.8tdci Titanium cheaper than a nearly new 1.6 tdci Zetec.

So we started looking at Fiestas - the rest is history.

Our other reason was we down sized. The Fiesta is going to be our commuter and we keep the C4 Picasso for long journeys,holidays etc etc. Our Megane 1.9 dci cc was the "luxury weekend car " & summer commuter - but was costing too much to run as a second car.

By buying the Fiesta we are saving £110 a year in road tax, £5 a month in insurance and approx £30 a month in fuel - savings not to be sniffed at.

Hi Stuart,

I'm pretty much the same as the others except that I had a bigger car and wanted to downsize due to the economic climate.

I was originally looking at a Corsa but I went to our local Ford dealer to have Janet's Ka serviced and saw not only a beautiful black Sportka (which Janet has always wanted) but also the new Fiesta.

I loved it straight away and I just had to have one so our local Ford dealer got two sales instead of one!

I'm not complaining though as I got both cars for less than I was going to have to pay for the Corsa.

I'll aim to keep it a couple of years (or until we're out of this recession) and then go for something with a bit more oomph!

Don't suppose I'll ever be able to afford an M3 though!!!!! ;) ;)

I am only 19 and at the moment have no other commitments such as a house (though this is soon to change!) or children.

I was left a car and money which has gone towards by car. The recession was part of the reason why I got a new car. My old fiesta was starting to have serious probs will the exhaust etc and was also costing me a small fortune on road tax (£165 a year!!!!)

Also Ford Options is something which drew me in, even though I originally went for the Ka. My insurance is more expensive but I am now on my own policy. Petrol I fill up once a month less so save about £40.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club