Do Not Sell My Personal Information

cycles on the road

fiesta_lad

what do people think about cycles on the road they do my head in all they do is get in your way whats your views

what do people think about cycles on the road they do my head in all they do is get in your way whats your views

Fairly interesting question really. Cyclists do get on my nerves, but to be honest the only reason for this is because it frightens the life out of me that I'll hit them accidentally.

I have been a cyclist before, and I always cycled very defensively and carefully but I was hit by a motorist who wasn't looking where he was going, fortunately it was low speed. Four years ago I was a motorcyclist and was hit by a car running a red light. That time I was very unlucky and was in hospital for weeks and I couldn't walk for some months.

Now that I drive cars I find that I am very cautious around all cyclists and motorbikes. I always like to give bikes a lot of room when passing, and I tend to wait until its safe to pass. I usually aim to give cyclists a good couple of yards. Some idiots speed past them with less than a foot to spare. People just dont realise how bad the consequenses are of not giving cycles pleanty of room.

Cyclists aren't blameless of course so here are some tips for them

-If there is a cycle track use it

-If the footpath is desserted use the footpath (I know its illegal but if there is nobody on the path then theres no harm done)

-If cars are building up behind you, pull over and let the cars past. (This goes for tractors too lol)

-Signal when ever you're turning

-If you are cycling with others then do it single file, not next to each other across the whole road

Think Bike!

Fairly interesting question really. Cyclists do get on my nerves, but to be honest the only reason for this is because it frightens the life out of me that I'll hit them accidentally.

I have been a cyclist before, and I always cycled very defensively and carefully but I was hit by a motorist who wasn't looking where he was going, fortunately it was low speed. Four years ago I was a motorcyclist and was hit by a car running a red light. That time I was very unlucky and was in hospital for weeks and I couldn't walk for some months.

Now that I drive cars I find that I am very cautious around all cyclists and motorbikes. I always like to give bikes a lot of room when passing, and I tend to wait until its safe to pass. I usually aim to give cyclists a good couple of yards. Some idiots speed past them with less than a foot to spare. People just dont realise how bad the consequenses are of not giving cycles pleanty of room.

Cyclists aren't blameless of course so here are some tips for them

-If there is a cycle track use it

-If the footpath is desserted use the footpath (I know its illegal but if there is nobody on the path then theres no harm done)

-If cars are building up behind you, pull over and let the cars past. (This goes for tractors too lol)

-Signal when ever you're turning

-If you are cycling with others then do it single file, not next to each other across the whole road

Think Bike!

sorry to hear about that ive seen loads of times cyclists (i spelt that wrong before lol) kicking cars because they are driveing to close to them i could always rember once main road close to mine was down to one lane it was rush hour and the traffic was building up this cyclists on the road just would not move to let cars past you should of seen the !Removed! he cause so you can see my point were iam comeing from lol but yes your right think bikes what have you noiced all these adverts think bike think road safety etc are always on late at night why not show them through the day when people are awake lol

sorry to hear about that ive seen loads of times cyclists (i spelt that wrong before lol) kicking cars because they are driveing to close to them i could always rember once main road close to mine was down to one lane it was rush hour and the traffic was building up this cyclists on the road just would not move to let cars past you should of seen the !Removed! he cause so you can see my point were iam comeing from lol but yes your right think bikes what have you noiced all these adverts think bike think road safety etc are always on late at night why not show them through the day when people are awake lol

I agree that sometimes cyclists are just inconsiderate, if they are holding up the traffic they really should pull over, for the sake of their own and everyone elses safety. I saw a white van almost run a motorbike off the road once, really thought he was a gonner lol but he held it together and caught up with the van because the lights went red, he smashed the drivers side window with his fist! (Probably not that hard to do as the knuckle armour on motorcycling gloves is as solid as a rock.) Not the right thing to do, obviously, but better than doing time for death by dangerous driving I suppose. Hope he learned his lesson.

I think the reasons those ads are on so late at night is because ofcom dont want the kids getting scared, got to think of the watershed!! lol

i cycle and drive and once again there needs to be a bit of give and take on both sides we all share the road.None of us has the right to force others on or off to speed up or slow down.And just a note when you ride on the path pedestrians or not,the police can and do stop you . £40 fine and can impose points on your driving licence if you have one.So not always a good option.

i cycle and drive and once again there needs to be a bit of give and take on both sides we all share the road.None of us has the right to force others on or off to speed up or slow down.And just a note when you ride on the path pedestrians or not,the police can and do stop you . £40 fine and can impose points on your driving licence if you have one.So not always a good option.

Thoroughly agree with you Hendrix. Had no idea about the license points thing though! Must be quite a bad cycling offence to get that!

Plod has a hard job,best friends when you need them,worst enemy when you dont. They can impose points but like you say bet you would have to do somthing really stupid. The fine however is pretty regular in central london.

What I dont get is why this is posted in maintainance???

SY99 I was thinking the same thing.... OP posted at 12:05am, maybe drunk? :blink:

SY99 I was thinking the same thing.... OP posted at 12:05am, maybe drunk? :blink:

not drunk me lol

ho! ho! ho! merry Christmas!

happy new year

is it august bank holiday yet ?

You have got to be kidding me hendrix! That was last week! :blink:

;)

Had a bunch of cyclists once coming back from Keswick up to the M6, turned a corner and there were 5 of the bu**ers in a line across the road all happily yapping away to each other in their 'nice' cycling outfits!!! (And they wonder how they have accidents). These weren't kids either, these were adults aged about 30 odd years old, you'd think they had more sence!

Had a bunch of cyclists once coming back from Keswick up to the M6, turned a corner and there were 5 of the bu**ers in a line across the road all happily yapping away to each other in their 'nice' cycling outfits!!! (And they wonder how they have accidents). These weren't kids either, these were adults aged about 30 odd years old, you'd think they had more sence!

Thats the worse thing about that part of the country, far too many middle class holiday makers! Everywhere you turn they're in your way! You're there in winter and its deserted, then summer and its absolutely packed. You cant walk down the streets, you cant drive along the road, there's no room in the pubs

Absolutely lovely area, but very very seasonal.

This has just reminded me of something....

What is it with these busses of old people! They're all over the place! You always see loads of them on the motorway.... Then they will stop somewhere touristy and unleash a plague of grannys upon the streets all heading toward the nearest "tea room", before moving at snails pace toward the local church, then onto a knit-wear boutique close by murmuring "ooooo isn't this splendid Gertrude" and "what a treat Agness"

I thought we lived in a free country! Free to choose where we travel and what we see. Tourists keep some econmy's alive without tourists there we would be no work for locals. Im truly suprised so many people think they own the road,the place they live,the country they live in. If men want to cycle in packs of 4 so be it, your the driver and no doubt you think your good at it, so cope with the situation and go round it probaly only made you 2 minutes late for your appointment with emerdale or whatever. No wonder the youth of today has lost all respect and patience with others, your children and mine are only learning from us.

If men want to cycle in packs of 4 so be it, your the driver and no doubt you think your good at it, so cope with the situation and go round it probaly only made you 2 minutes late

are you sane?

Whats wrong bad driver cant cope ? be ready for any situation, god help you if theres a pack of cows down a country road somtime , they dont listen to your horn. You have to share the road my friend its not all yours.

• 4 weeks later...

Bikes have as much right to be on the public highway as any other vehicle, if there is more then one of them and traffic is behind them then they should ride in single file, if there is a cycle lane then they should use it.

TBH, for all you car drivers who moan about both motorcycles and peddle cycles do yourself a favor and get a motorbike, you will then see what we all have to put up with on today's roads, you will also learn to look out for these vehicles while driving your car and have a little more respect for them because you know what it now feels like to have a car, lorry etc come too close to you or cut you up.

I too have been knocked off a motorcycle by a car driver not paying attention and pulling out of he's driveway in front of me.

Respect them and they won't kick your mirrors or car.

what i dont understand is they have no MOT or insurance but they have to ride on the road!! why dont they need an MoT or insurance they run on the same princeables as motor bikes!! tyres,bearing, brakes, lights stuff like that so for saftey reasons the should be tested and insured

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club