Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Longest Journey

Jonny87

Was just reminiscing about a drive I did last year from Lands End to John o Groats and it got me wondering about how far some of you guys might have driven. Whats the longest journey you ever did? Anyone driven to Spain? Italy? Further?

Plymouth to Bristol is my longest :) Would love to do a Lands End to John o Groats trip!

How many days did it take?

Any journey out of Cornwall is a long journey? lol

Do lots of out of County driving as my 11yr old daughter is a very talented runner so we have to go further afield for her to get the standard of competition she needs. Even a drive to Exeter from home is nerly 100 miles each way.

Longest drive in UK, was from Newquay to Edinburgh via Darlington & Newcastle, driving home via Carlise & Blackpool.

Otherwise have driven a lot in France - Plymouth to Roscoff - down through France and into Northern Spain to Santander to catch ferry back to Plymouth being furthest and a good drive, roads are so much quiter and we avoided toll roads most of the time to take in some countryside.

Plymouth to Bristol is my longest :) Would love to do a Lands End to John o Groats trip!

How many days did it take?

Bit of an odd story really. Was chatting to a mate of mine and it ended up with him disagreeing with me that its possible to drive from Lands End to John o Groats in one day. So I did it! was about 22 hours end to end. I live just north of London though so I had to drive from London to Lands End to John o Groats to London. So in total was practically doing the journey twice and then some! Whole lot in two days. Slept in the car at Wick.

Highly recommend it mate. I did it in winter so it was dark most of the time which was a shame, I might do it again this summer in the new fiesta (when I get it) to get it run in and to enjoy the trip a bit more as there will be more daylight and i'm certain I missed some beautiful scenery. Managed to find some amazing driving roads on the way though was brilliant fun at times. At the end of it the passenger footwell was full of coffee cups, empty redbulls, bottles of water, burger kings........

Bit of an odd story really. Was chatting to a mate of mine and it ended up with him disagreeing with me that its possible to drive from Lands End to John o Groats in one day. So I did it! was about 22 hours end to end. I live just north of London though so I had to drive from London to Lands End to John o Groats to London. So in total was practically doing the journey twice and then some! Whole lot in two days. Slept in the car at Wick.

Highly recommend it mate. I did it in winter so it was dark most of the time which was a shame, I might do it again this summer in the new fiesta (when I get it) to get it run in and to enjoy the trip a bit more as there will be more daylight and i'm certain I missed some beautiful scenery. Managed to find some amazing driving roads on the way though was brilliant fun at times. At the end of it the passenger footwell was full of coffee cups, empty redbulls, bottles of water, burger kings........

Sounds amazing!

I possibly might do it in the summer with the GF for a kinda holiday, as were not going away this year.

In one day, about 490 miles.

Done 400+ in a day loads of times, ie London and back home but the above, from home to Norwich and back was probably the longest and was done in a tranny van.

Sounds amazing!

I possibly might do it in the summer with the GF for a kinda holiday, as were not going away this year.

Go for it! Another pointless but fun drive I did was GB and Ireland. Drove from England to Stranraer in Scotland, Ferry to Belfast NI, drive to Dublin ROI, Ferry to Holyhead in Wales, drive back to England. Was a bit more expensive though because of the two ferries. Looking forward to when the new fiesta arrives as it will obviously be alot more reliable than my current 1998 one, want to have a go at a bit of Continental driving, not sure where though! I have a tendancy of getting somewhere and thinking "No, not far enough" lol, as you might have gathered.

My longest drive, albeit based over 10days was:

Dartford to Troon (ferry to Larne)

Larne to Belfast

Belfast to Dublin (ferry to Liverpool)

Liverpool to Essex

Which in total came to 1450miles, but the most at any one time was 436miles

In one day, about 490 miles.

Done 400+ in a day loads of times, ie London and back home but the above, from home to Norwich and back was probably the longest and was done in a tranny van.

Strangely enough my longest drive was in a 7.5 ton lorry when a few years ago I had to deliver some picture frame moulding to a company in Northumberland so I guess that was 400+ miles round trip all in one day.

I'd sooner have done it in a car but it just wouldn't be able to carry all the weight.................... ;)

I regularly do 100+ mile trips as Janet and I like to go away at weekends when the funds allow of course. :)

Strangely enough my longest drive was in a 7.5 ton lorry when a few years ago I had to deliver some picture frame moulding to a company in Northumberland so I guess that was 400+ miles round trip all in one day.

I'd sooner have done it in a car but it just wouldn't be able to carry all the weight.................... ;)

I regularly do 100+ mile trips as Janet and I like to go away at weekends when the funds allow of course. :)

Nice one Mr. Hedgepigs! I like your style! One day I hope to be able to go away at the weekend too :)

I don't go too far in the car but most summers I pop off to Europe on the bike.

Last year I did a leisurley trip which was fantastic click here or here

About 2000miles once I did some detours.

Paul

My lOngest Journey was from Bristol (where i live) down to Lands end. Took about Four hours in total and stopped twice each way to refuel.

My longest journey was to Cornwall on holiday once.

With my year old son at the time on board we did it in 2 days, stopping overnight just south of Bristol.

I regularly used to do Birmingham and back in one day in a previous job. 5am start, 10 hours at the wheel and 600 miles.

We went to West coast of France then the Med coast and back home to Cheshire in the Focus, about 4 years ago. Med to Calais (about 800 miles) on the way back in one day, before the bridge opened at Millau.

Three years ago with my son, we rode to Alicante and back, 5,000 mile round trip, me on a 1988 FJ1200 Yam, son on a 1998 1200 Bandit. Probably max 600 miles in one day, an experience to remember.

Furthest i`ve driven has been from Edinburgh to Silverstone after a nightshift!

The furthest i`ve so far heard was a polish apprentice at our work who drove back to Poland from Edinburgh and took 43 hours non stop except to change drivers and refill with petrol !!!!

Ive driven down to the South of France - 17 hours with a couple of hours break.

Also driven to Cardiff from Essex (204 miles) to visit a dying relative and then back home again the same evening.

In my Mo, the furthest ive done is Bas - Ashford International.

Longest journey was from essex through Europe

Uk to dover

ferry to France

France to Switzerland,,,,,(This was done in one drive apart from the ferry lol ) not sure of the milage though

Switzerland to Austria

Austria to Gremany

Germany to Lichenstein

Lichenstein to Belgium

Belgium to France

France to dover to home

total distance covered was 2,200 miles over 2 weeks holiday

but one week i stayed in Interlaken (Switzerland) and the car hardy moved,but the best part was I had done all that milage over all different roads I drove of the boat in dover ..........and got a puncture..... had to change the wheel in the H.M Customs bay ,they didnt have to check the car all my stuff was out on the floor so i could get the spare out of the boot they thought it was funny I thought all i want to do is get home and have a hot bath

Uk to dover

ferry to France

France to Switzerland,,,,,(This was done in one drive apart from the ferry lol ) not sure of the milage though

Switzerland to Austria

Austria to Gremany

Germany to Lichenstein

Lichenstein to Belgium

Belgium to France

France to dover to home

but one week i stayed in Interlaken (Switzerland) and the car hardy moved,but the best part was I had done all that milage over all different roads I drove of the boat in dover ..........and got a puncture..... had to change the wheel in the H.M Customs bay ,they didnt have to check the car all my stuff was out on the floor so i could get the spare out of the boot they thought it was funny I thought all i want to do is get home and have a hot bath

Poor you, I bet that was embarrasing! I have been to Interlaken, years ago, fantastic beautiful clean place - would love to go back to Switzerland with the kids one day x

Uk to dover

ferry to France

Switzerland to Austria

Austria to Gremany

Germany to Lichenstein

Lichenstein to Belgium

Belgium to France

France to dover to home

Wow thats amazing! I think I want to give that a go! How many people were you driving?

Wow thats amazing! I think I want to give that a go! How many people were you driving?

There was four in the car including me, plus luggage (not in a fiesta at that time, not enough room) but the car was only insured for ME to drive but it was good fun,and Michelle yes, Interlaken is beautiful, at the bottom of the Jungfrau, lauterbraunen and the trimmelbach falls and you can see the Eiger as well, really creepy that mountain,and as you said spot less clean place maybe go back again one day.

Longest was last summer, London to south of spain, ended up with 4500miles on the clock and many visits to petrol stations when petrol was at an all time high and the euro at all time low... but totally worth it, drove to dover an ferry to calais, and down through france, paris, barcelona and all the way south. stayed down for 3 week holiday and then drove back.. took us 3 days to drive there and 3 days back, stayed in hotels on way down an way back and totally loved it, planning to do same this year at end of summer!

Longest was last summer, London to south of spain, ended up with 4500miles on the clock and many visits to petrol stations when petrol was at an all time high and the euro at all time low... but totally worth it, drove to dover an ferry to calais, and down through france, paris, barcelona and all the way south. stayed down for 3 week holiday and then drove back.. took us 3 days to drive there and 3 days back, stayed in hotels on way down an way back and totally loved it, planning to do same this year at end of summer!

This is probably a stupid question (I have never driven outside of the UK and Eire) but what is it like driving on the right? Does it totally do your head in the entire time? or do you sometimes forget and start driving on the left... and roundabouts going the wrong way, and sitting on the wrong side of the car etc etc? To be honest this is the only bit that really bothers me about crossing the channel, and im wondering if anyone has any issues with it, or any tips?

my longest journey was liverpool to newcastle 165 miles there and back in a 18 year old clio lol flew there and back no problems.