Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible Intercooler/ Vacuum Pipe Air Rushing Noise

marklord1983

Hi chaps, my car has just started making a air rushing noise when under load sounds like it's sucking air, any ideas?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

Hi chaps, my car has just started making a air rushing noise when under load sounds like it's sucking air, any ideas?

Cheers

You must say if your car is a petrol, diesel, NA or turbo, for anyone to help, the type of engine and capacity might be useful too, "focus" and "2007" is not enough to go on

I knew there was something lol sorry it's 2007 tdci 2.0

Sounds like the same problem I had, as detailed in my thread "Hissing Noise".

Hopefully it is just that I'm gonna have a good look tomorrow and take it garage on wed, cheers guys

Having just done it, I can say it's not a particularly difficult job, requiring no tools other than a flat blade screwdriver.

Given the cost of the parts :o , if you can, then save yourself some cash, by doing it yourself.

A couple of things to note.

1. Andrew Page don't stock the item (nor is it on their order list), so if you want it immediately, it's a main agent job.

2. The top rubber pipe isn't available from the main agent, on its own. It comes with the steel intermediate pipe, and the price is (wait for it) over £50. :o

Fitting it requires the moving of (though not the draining of) the expansion tank. This is made easier if you insert a slender blade (eg. a thin and wide screwdriver) between the plastic slot and the metal tang.

When replacing the expansion tank, fit it to the rear tang (the one parallel with the firewall), before fitting it to the offside tang (the one parallel with the wing).

The whole job shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

Great stuff thanks for that mate I'll have a good look tomorrow

It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway :) ) that, before buying the replacement part, you should determine that the part is indeed faulty.

Yeah cheers ill try find the leak tomz if it's easy to get to ill do it myself if not ill get garage to do it its to cold for my liking lol

Hi guys took car garage this morning as I couldn't find anything, they had a look and a road test and the also couldn't find anything, they did say that it cud be that because I have a tuning box and recently fitted a air filter it cud be the car has got use to that set up and to try putting my original air box back on, any thoughts? Cheers chaps

Did you tell them you suspected a split in the inter-cooler pipe?

You can check it yourself, without using any tools.

Remove the large flat plastic engine cover (the one you can see the oil filler cap through the middle of), by pulling upwards in each corner. It's only held in place by four push fittings, like pop fasteners.

Once the cover is off, take a look on the drivers side, between the engine and the expansion tank.

You will see a black metal pipe, with a sensor on the top.

Trace this pipe toward the firewall, and it turns into a rubber pipe, which turns through 90 degrees to the right, where it is attached, with a Jubilee clip, to the turbo.

Examine this rubber pipe closely, for any splits, especially on the inside and outside of the curve.

Cheers mate shud I get under the car and try find the turbo incase anything has popped of? Thanks for the replys

You don't need to get under the car, because the turbo is at the top of the engine.

It's the shiny thing at the rear of the engine, in the middle, just under the windscreen.

I think my engine is different to yours mate cos I couldn't find the pipe you mentioned and when I look for turbo and did a search on Google it looks like it's near the manifold in bottom left.

Have a look at my guide in my signature (replacing a split intercooler pipe), it may differ slightly from the focus, but you can see where the pipe is what it looks like, and where the rubber hoses are.

I have still got the old pipe and the rubber hoses are in good nick, so if you need one, I shouldn't see a problem posting one off to you if its the same shape.

Great stuff cheers mate I can't see anything from the top and im struggling to get under the car I'm taking over to my mates in Colne, on Tuesday I called him other day and he said its a pipe or knackered intercooler so I'm positive it's a simple fix hopefully and not to costly, im kind of hoping it's intercooler so I can get a bigger one lol about 60 quid on eBay haha

hopefully its just a hose. Mine was impossible to find, if you look at the guide, you can see the hairline crack that was by the weld on the pipe. It took me ages to find it, but the cost was about £80 for a new pipe assembly, and fitted myself with no issues.

That's not to bad it's hard trying to drive it under boost tho so it doesn't use loads of fuel

I found that too!

You have to give it welly and waste fuel sadly...

Hopefully the guides I offer are of use to you.

I appreciate it thanks mate I'll let u know how I get on thanks

Just an update guys, took car to garage this morning and he found split in 5 mins and I'm gutted cos I should of found it myself, he also said that the intercooler setup on it is the strangest he's ever seen as it doesn't just go into the turbo it splits off, he said he's worked on a 2.0 tdci before and engine looked the same apart from the intercooler, strange, anyways going back tomz for new pipe being fitted 58 quid for a !Removed! pipe lol

Actually, £58 to supply and fit is quite good.

Mine cost £55-odd just to buy it. :(

Yeah they guy on phone said 42 then vat and my mate said it will only take him half hour to change it, will be happy when I can drive it properly again and I get better mpg

Thats a good price for the pipe. My pipe came to 80 odd so you got a good deal there!