Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Wont Start. Immobiliser Flashes & Burning Smell

gtc

Last night came back to start my car after 15 mins and it would not start. Turned the key and all lights came on, radio worked and fan. It was as if I was waiting for the glow plug to go out and nothing happened. Turned the key on and off quickly and it started but ran poor for a few miles then ok. Left it at the garage last night and they put it on the diagnostics, came up with several codes and one being incorrect immobiliser code. Ran the car home, 10 mins away from the garage. Smelt a burning smell in the car when I turned it off, left it for 15 mins and it would not start again. So as autodata advised turned the key several times fast and it started up. Taking it back tomorrow but please can anyone advise as to what the burning smell could be and why when turning off does it have the immobiliser starting problem.

burning smell could be anything from an overheating starter motor, to bad wiring. Its difficult to say without the error codes?

UPDATE.

The starting problem is separate to the smell. Local garage told me to take it Ford. Took it and apparently it needs a GEM module. They have said it is corroded and wet inside. I went to pick it up to mull it over and the car would not start at all so I had to leave it and they will recheck tomorrow it is that and then order. Has anybody heard of this fixing the problem of starting?

The GEM is one of the main control modules to run the car.

How much have they quoted to replace?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club