Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High Fuel Consuption On Mk4 1.8 Tdci

jpunter22

Hi I hope someone can help or anyone with any ideas. I currently get about 400 miles from a full tank of fuel which works out that i am getting about 25 mpg as an average around town. Everything I have read reckpons I should be getting between 33-39 mpg around town. Does anyone have any ideas or previous knowledge on this problem.

Many thanks

It can all depend on traffic, if you're sitting in a queue then you'll be getting 0 mpg. The quoted mpg for town generally means 30 mph with some stopping/starting but if you're in heavy traffic you'll never get it that high.

Sent from my HUAWEI P2 using Ford OC mobile app

I dont tend to use one filling station it all depends where i am at the time Shell, tesco, morisons. I have spoken to a friend who runs a garage and he says it should be better then that and that it could be a sticking egr valve or a faulty sensor. I am taking it into him tomorrow morning to put on the computer to read its diagnostics and live data. Hopefully it will through something into the mix. I have also spoken to a man that does the school runs at my daughters school who has the same car same engine and his never even leaves the town we live in and he is getting around 530 miles from his which works out at about 34 mpg which is alot more like i would have thought it would be. I will keep you posted if something shows its head. Many thanks for the replies

I tend to use Shell I find that it is the best quality for ford tdci engines if I put any other fuel if one it drinks

Given the time of year and the colder weather you would expect a poor MPG return over the same journeys in summer.

Best suggestions are as follows:

1) If the car is due a service, get it done, a good service will help breathe new life into the car.

2) reset the ECU - Disconnect the car battery, leave for 15 minutes or so and reconnect. This puts the ECU into a learning mode, and for two or three tanks will adjust to your driving style. Drive with a lead weight on your foot, and you get more response but less MPG. Drive like a 90 year old and you will get a much better MPG return.

3) Use branded fuel for a few tanks. The odd tank of super fuel can be good as a basic cleanser for the engine, but can be slightly more costly, but even sticking to branded "basic" fuel can outperform the supermarkets.

4) Buy yourself a BG244 (or BG240) treatment. This goes into the fuel tank and helps to clear the systems out of any contaminants. At a cost of £20 its always worth a shot and more often than not returns good results.