Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High Fuel Consumption On Mk2 Mondeo Estate

carl23

Hi all recently I have noticed my car is going through a lot of fuel. I have put almost double the amount I usually put in. I know it is a 2 litre but the car never drank this much fuel. Also when I am waiting at lights I can feel the car juddering for no reason. Any help would be brilliant. Thank you in advance.

I should mention I do not drive erratically or aggressive. As always have my kids in the car

Given the time of year and the colder weather you would expect a poor MPG return over the same journeys in summer.

Best suggestions are as follows:

1) If the car is due a service, get it done, a good service will help breathe new life into the car.

2) reset the ECU - Disconnect the car battery, leave for 15 minutes or so and reconnect. This puts the ECU into a learning mode, and for two or three tanks will adjust to your driving style. Drive with a lead weight on your foot, and you get more response but less MPG. Drive like a 90 year old and you will get a much better MPG return.

3) Use branded fuel for a few tanks. The odd tank of super fuel can be good as a basic cleanser for the engine, but can be slightly more costly, but even sticking to branded "basic" fuel can outperform the supermarkets.

4) Buy yourself a BG244 (or BG240) treatment. This goes into the fuel tank and helps to clear the systems out of any contaminants. At a cost of £20 its always worth a shot and more often than not returns good results.

• Like 1

Petrol or Diesel? I found Shell etc give a much better MPG ( +1 or more ) than regular supermarket fuel. More recently my last 2 Diesels ( 2003 2.0 tdci Mondy & 2005 407 2.0 HDi ) ran rough and returned a lower MPG on Morrisons diesel. Also as Jeebowhite says you will get a lower mpg in the winter as diesel is mixed on a higher ratio with Biodiesel to lower the freezing temperature in the colder months, also you will be using the heating, heated screens etc and lights more too and they decrease your mpg at the same time!

A Good service oil air fuel filters new oil and possibly spark plugs & leads generally sort it. if not atleast it will rule those components out.

It certainly wont do it any harm if they are overdue!