Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Please Help... Useless With Cars!!!

daracampbell

Hi all...

Thanks in advance for your comments...... I am not any good with cars, and would appreciate your help to solve what is (hopefully) a small problem....

I wrote off my 05 Fiesta on the ice recently, and replaced it with a 2002 Focus 1.4 Petrol... Seems like a grand car.... There are a few small issues, but the main one I'm worried about is temperature related......

The car temperature gauge (on dashboard) rises REALLY slowly.... typically, it will only reach normal after about 25-30 mins driving....

When decelerating, or accelerating, the temperature gauge fluctuates by about +/- one eighth...

I tried leaving the car running in the driveway after using it today... Engine at idle, fan didn't kick in at all in (even after 20 mins idle... Outside Air Temp was normal)... Even after leaving it running, the temp gauge showed normal....

I am absolutely hopeless at troubleshooting or fixing things, but am sick to death of being ripped off... Main Ford garage in North Dublin wanted 125 euro just to look at a bulb issue... in the end, after google-ing the problem, I disconnected the battery, and it reset the lights..... nice!

If you can lead me to the trouble item, I would be very grateful... at least then I can go forearmed to a garage to ask them to change a particular part (or if it is realy simple, I can order and fit it myself...)

Many Thanks again.

Dara

Skerries, Co Dublin

Your problem is most likely a faulty temperature sensor. I have a Mondeo, so not sure exactly where to locate that on your car.

Should get one for under about £20 on eBay.

Does it take a long time for the interior of the car to warm up as well? If it does, it is most likely the thermostat is stuck open. In which case you will need to replace it. Otherwise it will be the sensor like BigD says.

• Like 1

The internal heating in the car certainly takes longer than my former Fiesta or the current family car (Mondeo 07)....

One of the guys in my work suggested the thermostat..... he said that if it is stuck open, the coolant is being directed to the radiator even when it's not required, so it takes forever to warm up!

Would a thermostat fault be stopping the fan from kicking in though, or is just not reaching the required temp?

Thanks for your helpful tips so far...

Dara

It can be the reason, if the thermostat never closes when the engine is warming up it won't activate the fan (because its already cool enough). Its worth checking the fan/switch too just in case these have stopped working from lack of use.

Sent from my HUAWEI P2 using Ford OC mobile app

Thermostat more than likely.

£10-15 from euro car parts depending on which opening temp one you have.

The plastic housing may break when removing as they become brittle over time, £30 -35 on euro car parts.

With labour you could be looking at around £80-90.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club