Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk2 55 Plate Cruise Control Prob/fault?

1stghia

Hi,

The cruise control on my 55 plate mk2 1.8 tdci seems to be having a hissy fit that I cannot find the problem with :( so in hope of an answer that I can sort myself I am looking to fellow "foci". (focus owners :) its a technical term lol)

all buttons on my steering controls work except for the "On" switch, it will not switch on nor illuminate the cluster icon. However if I press the "Set" button it will stay at that speed and I can use the up/down switches to speed or slow, it will also disengage when pedals are pressed or the system is switched off.

I can't find a fuse fault, although bear in mind I was just in a panic that my dipped bean icon wasnt working and spent time looking for how to change the bulb before I realised the focus does not have a dedicated dipped beam indicator lolol it's one of those days :( However the problem with the crusie control is real lol and unfortunately the soloution is beyond me.

many thanks for any help.

dave :)

sounds like you will need new switch

Sounds like it might just be the light that's faulty, if you say it will hold speed, and don't mention the light coming on at all. The on button only arms the cruise control, it doesn't actually engage it until you press one of the right hand switches. The light will only come on when cruise control is engaged and holding a set minimum speed. If it's holding a speed but the light isn't coming on, it sounds like a faulty light.

Do a dash test to check your bulbs.

Press and hold the trip button on the end of the indicator arm and start the engine.

Keep the button pressed until the dash illuminates and the dials sweep.

You will be able to see if the cruise light illuminates.

Another test is for button function.

Press and hold the rear demister button while starting and then every button pressed/door opened etc should sound a tone when operated.

Thus should reset on restart but if it doesn't just repeat the press and start procedure to deactivate.

Thanks for the replies :D appreciate the help.

Did the dash test to test bulbs and also switches ... everything works fine :( Now I am puzzled! If the switch is fine and the bulb is fine any ideas on what else can cause the fault/problem ?? sorry for the late reply but I had the dredded man flu Sniff.

many thanks

Dave

Can you confirm the cruise control dash light works during the dash test though doesn't illuminate when you have set the cruise? If so, I have no idea, that's an odd one, is it factory CC or retrofit?

Yes mate, the dash light works on the dash test, it does not work when I use the CC "on" button :/ and yes it is factory fitted.

Last time I remember it working for def' I was cruising down the M1 getting the engine hot, then gave it a thrash to clear the crap out, which I do every month or so. At first I thought doing that had blown a fuse, but I checked them and they were all fine, I find it odd that the button works the bulb is fine but they will not work together... puzzling :/

As a follow on to Clives comment, dont worry about deactivating it, drive the car and it will go off itself, the test mode appears to be timed and dies after about 5 minutes anyway. I tried testing my cruise control buttons after leaving a service station, they were all beeping, but then after about 5 minutes, I pressed the buttons and they stopped beeping :p

lol yes james I found that out when I couldn't stop everything !Removed! buzzing, I had to get out of the car lock it and wait about a minute then it cleared back to normal... quality info from clive though never knew about those tests, haynes is pants now aswell.

Possible clutch or brake pedal position switches very common. Would more so look at clutch if manual or brake if auto. Its the blue on on the brake pedal not the black one

• 2 months later...

Did you get anywhere with this as I have the same issue?

hi rbz5416

nah still the same, CC works just annoyed me you couldnt tell it was on until it was set. Although I don't use it as you can get a bit tooo comfy when driving lol

sorry I dont have a positive answer for you m8 :(

• Like 1

Just to clarify, pressing the on button will not make the cruise control light come on. The light will only come on when "set" is pressed and it's holding a set speed. The light will turn off again when the system stops holding a speed, i.e if the "off" button is pressed, the top right button is pressed or the brake or clutch is pressed. Unless "off" has been used, it will then come on again if either "resume" (top right) or "set" is pressed.

• Like 2

Just to clarify, pressing the on button will not make the cruise control light come on. The light will only come on when "set" is pressed and it's holding a set speed. The light will turn off again when the system stops holding a speed, i.e if the "off" button is pressed, the top right button is pressed or the brake or clutch is pressed. Unless "off" has been used, it will then come on again if either "resume" (top right) or "set" is pressed.

Thanks Chris, so it does, how odd. Every other one I've encountered indicates when the system is engaged ready to be set, which makes much more sense to me. Don't know how I missed it altogether though.

Thanks Chris, so it does, how odd. Every other one I've encountered indicates when the system is engaged ready to be set, which makes much more sense to me. Don't know how I missed it altogether though.

x2

I was 100% sure this focus was the same as well :o oh well I am blaming my age :p lol

On the mk4 mondy, the on button causes the trip computer to advise cruise control standby, then pressing set brings the green clock icon, pressing the break, clutch or cancel button all have the same affect, cancel but not switch off of cruise.

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club