Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk2 Shuddering In 1St & 2Nd Around 1200Rpm

infaddict

Hi everyone. Hope someone can help me diagnose what the problem with my car could be. It's a ford focus 58 plate with 67,000 miles. It's a 1.6 tdci Diesel engine.

I've noticed a moderate shudder that happen when pulling away in first. At bite point it's fine but slightly higher up the revs (around 1200 or so) I get the shuddering that only happens for less than a second. It. Also happens in 2nd if revs are at the same point. Doesn't happen in any other gear and power and drive seems otherwise fine. The shuddering feels like a car does when you don't have enough revs and are about to stall. But it doesn't stall.

It's just had an annual service and MOT so interested to hear opinions on what this could be.

Thanks in advance!

Has it always done it?i asked a similar question before because if you put it in neutral and raise the rpm to 900 1000 etc u feel a little judder,which is apparently normal of these engines.

Could also be engine mounts

Thanks for your reply. No I don't think it has always done this or I would have certainly noticed it. My wife drives it more than me and she says it has only just started happening. It seems to get slightly better when the engine is warm but problem is still there. It feels like you are going to stall so you automatically try to add more revs. Very strange.

Possibly egr valve?have you tried the trip computer trick to see if there's any Dtc codes?

My initial thought was DPF or EGR but I'm no expert. Im hoping its not a clutch issue but bite is fine and other gears fine. We did have a DPF issue a few years ago and this was fixed under warranty. Car gets a good 20 mile motorway blast 5 days a week. Is a cleaner like wynns worth a try? Is the EGR valve easy to get to and clean or a job for the garage?

The trip computer thing sounds interesting. Can u share how to do it please?

I'm not the best person to ask about egr valves and access etc.i believe on your engine you need to remove the wipers,black plastic cover under bonnet close to the front window,then the metal frame/strut to get the egr in sight.then it's a couple of bolts.

To do the dash trick:turn the key once but so that the dash lights don't appear,then hold the button on your indicator stalk for a few seconds,keep holding it and turn the key a second time so the dash lights appear.after a couple of seconds it will show test mode release the button when you see that.it will do a gauge sweep a couple of other things.

Basically press the stalk button to scroll the menus and you will see DTC #none or it will have codes there.

Could possibly be something to do with transmission fluid/torque converter.those are just guesses though.

Ok done the dash thingy and no DTC codes shown. It shows #00 None. I think I'll try a quick and cheap EGR and diesel injection cleaner first. If that doesn't help I'll do some more digging on manually cleaning the EGR valve. Thanks for your help it is much appreciated.

Anybody else got any other ideas?

I have a 56 1.8 Tdci focus that had what sounds like the same sort of issue. Went back to ford many times and they kept saying no issue or fault code. Managed to get them to change the fuel filter and flush the system and it seems much better now. Mine would only do it when cold, fine when it warmed up.

Don't know if that is any help to you

I have a 56 1.8 Tdci focus that had what sounds like the same sort of issue. Went back to ford many times and they kept saying no issue or fault code. Managed to get them to change the fuel filter and flush the system and it seems much better now. Mine would only do it when cold, fine when it warmed up.

Don't know if that is any help to you

Thanks for this! I wonder what the service interval is for a fuel filter? Don't think its ever been changed on this car and it's now coming up to 6 years old and 67,000 miles.

When you say "flush the system" what did they do? The fuel lines or more than that?

Edit : The fuel filter may well have been changed at 35-40,000 miles major service. Trying to find the documentation now.

I didn't actually ask what they meant, it did make a massive difference to how the car drove though. It was about £40 for the flush if that helps?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club