Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Test Quickclear Front Screen

Monz87

Hi guys,

Just recently picked up a 2007 S-Max 2.0 TDCI Titanium Manual.

I'm not too sure how the quick clear screen works, when I press the button, the light on the button comes on and no errors on the convers+ or anything like that.

So how do I actually know if it's working?

There hasn't been any frost since I have bought it, but the other day when it was raining hard and I had the windows closed, the windows got very steamy and with the quick clear turned on only, no blower on, it wasn't really doing anything....

Obviously when I turned the blower on with the 'max' button it cleared everything.

Is that normal? Is the quick clear only for frost on the outside?

Until its needed, its hard to say how to see it. The best thing to do, would be to use a 12v kettle in the car. Steam the windows up, then press quick clear, you should then see the lines in the windscreen appear clearly as it clears the screen down.

But if that's the case, wouldn't it do that when the window gets steamy on a rainy day for example?

But if that's the case, wouldn't it do that when the window gets steamy on a rainy day for example?

yes it would have the same affect.

Ok, so I think it may not be working, is there a better way to check? So I can go back to the dealer with it..

Has it actually got it? (A cheap replacement screen after a crack etc) you should see the lines if you look close. It could be as simple as the relay.

Sent from my HUAWEI P2 using Ford OC mobile app

It's got it as I can see the lines, if anything it's a fair bit visible sometimes

It sounds like me all may be getting some ice soon so you may not have to wait too long to check! ;)

Hmm hopefully very soon, but there must be another way to check right?

hopefully if its working as it should you wont be looking at a bar code across your windscreen. :lol:

It should clear frost on the outside, when we geet it, and steamed up screen on the inside. Sometimes they are not that quick, think how long your rear screen takes to clear but you should see some clearing within a few minutes. If not either a fuse or relay has gone would be my guess.

With a fogged up screen, turn it on. Don't turn the blower on. Look at the edges of the screen as it clears. There should be a border where the wires don't quite reache the outer edge of the screen.

Also, the fact it clears with the button pressed and no blower would also indicate it works.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Well that's the thing, it wasn't really clearing without the blower. How long would it take for a normally working one to clear a steamy window without the help of the blower?

It won't be 100% effective at clearing internal mist because the heated elements are closer to the external surface of the glass, you will need some frost or ice on it to prove it's working properly, but it works best in conjunction with a small amount of de icer anyway spray a bit across the top of the screen then turn the windscreen on and it will defrost in a minute, rather than 3-5 relying on the heater exclusively, however it's handy to have if you dont have any de icer,it makes the end of work amusing if it goes cold suddenly and all your work partners will see you just sitting there for a minute while they are scraping like hell with blue fingers. Haha

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Ford OC mobile app

It won't be 100% effective at clearing internal mist because the heated elements are closer to the external surface of the glass, you will need some frost or ice on it to prove it's working properly, but it works best in conjunction with a small amount of de icer anyway spray a bit across the top of the screen then turn the windscreen on and it will defrost in a minute, rather than 3-5 relying on the heater exclusively, however it's handy to have if you dont have any de icer,it makes the end of work amusing if it goes cold suddenly and all your work partners will see you just sitting there for a minute while they are scraping like hell with blue fingers. Haha

On that topic...don't sit laughing at the missus as she has to scrape her screen whilst you sit in your car...you won't get any err...special time

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Special time is a rare occurrence when it's cold enough for ice anyway.

Sent from my LT30p using Ford OC mobile app

Lucky for me the misses doesn't drive ;)

Lucky for me the misses doesn't drive ;)

She would be an ideal candidate for a frosted window scraper then.

lmfao... I wont tell my non driving wife she can be the scraper!

I find that mist on its own clears within 90 seconds of the heated windscreen being turned on, however, if you also have condensation on the window, you need the blowers on to dry it out, this takes up to 3 - 5 minutes depending on the amount of condensation.

The most efficient way to me is air con, fan number 2 and hold your breath.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club