Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Needed :-(

nickandlaura2011

Unfortunately my misses crashed the car yesterday on some ice. Luckily there's no body damage but she has snapped the alloys and bent the bottom arm. Anti roll bar and bent the steering rack aswell. As you can proberly tell she hit it into the kerb.

I have bought all the new part ready to be fitted. I'm willing to do the work my self( not paying frauds prices). I can do the bottom arm and the anti roll bar. The only one Im a bit bothered about is the steering rack. I've been told you can change the bit were the rubber gaiter is so hopefully I can do that otherwise it's the full rack.

I will put pictures below off the damage

Any guide or help would be much appreciated

Thanks Nick

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

Personally, I'd change the full rack, as you can't be sure it hasn't been damaged internally.

A bit more info will help.

What make, model & year car is it?

Can you see any fluid leaking from the rack?

Sounds like she whacked it pretty hard to do that kind of damage, could have possibly damaged the chassis/subframe to some extent that it may require Jigging or the subframe replacing.

You might be lucky and get away with that, but just something to think about & check out thoroughly.

It's a 2011 fiesta zetec 1.25 and there is no leaks I've left it on the drive with cardboard underneath it. I thought they were electric power steering.

She recon she was doing 20 but I don't no that's woman for you.

post-49683-139085404486_thumb.jpg

post-49683-139085405894_thumb.jpg

I'd be concerned if any shock was absorbed by the gearbox through the driveshaft too and CV joint may need replacing, also if it warped where the top of the shock absorber bolts on affecting camber. I hope all goes well and keep us posted.

Sent from my HUAWEI P2 using Ford OC mobile app

rough gear changes, rattles, excessive vibrations or noise would be common factors?

Well the new parts came today New bottom arm New anti roll bar and New steering rack. Hopefully get it all fitted tomorrow and see if there any other damage that I have missed or to the gear box hope not

Woking for a fraud dealer i have seen this many times :(

The lower arm will always take the brunt of the accident and the steering track rod will take a hefty knock too , i have seen worst and always got away with just the track rod without damaging the rack :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genuine-Ford-Fiesta-21-07-2008-Onwards-Tie-Rod-1545457-/181254544464?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a339cdc50

Well hopefully I can just change that then ans just keep that rack as a spare.

Are they easy to change

Depends on your abilities, and available tools.

At the very least, you will need a pair of axle stands (don't even think of getting under, with it supported on a couple of jacks), a decent socket set, and a ball joint splitter.

Oyeah got a lot of tools I worked has a mechanic for 3 years I was just wondering how hard it was to get the part out the steering rack u no where the rubber gaiter is

It's not too difficult, but you'll probably find it easier, if you take the rack off the car, and work on it at a bench.

It'll also allow you to examine it properly, for damage.

Fitted the parts and the rack everything feels fine apart from I now have a power steering light on and a airbag light. I have checked the fuses in the passenger fuse box and none have blown. I've also left the battery off for 20 mins aswell

Was wondering what any body suggests

I had a look in the hayes manual to see if there was a power steering fuse but there want one for the power steering.

The got it all tracked but the wheel is still out so guess am gunna change the hub shock absorber and all the sub frame. And found out why I have no power steering. The airbag squib which is behind the steering wheel is broke so am going to have to take it to Ford and get them to fix that

So finally got the car sorted bit more damage than I thought but it's all fixed now.

Here's what's the misses bent and had to be replaced

Bottom arm

Driveshaft

Antiroll bar and New anti roll bar drop link steering rack

sub frame

Shocker

Hub

New alloy

And also needed a steering collum and air bag squib as when I was reconnecting the rack back to the steering collum I moved the steering wheel and it broke the air back thing and the power steering wouldn't work.

But it's all done now thank good just 500pound lighter

Glad you got it sorted.

Cheaper than an Insurance claim thats for sure! :D

Hope the Mrs is a bit more careful with it next time!