Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Programme Remote Fob In Push Button Start Focus?!

jmcguckin

Hi all,

I have a Ford Focus Titanium 2010 (60 Plate) with push button start. Yesterday i changed the battery in my key fob using the instruction in the manual; split in two, change battery, put together and off you go.

This didn't work and now my fob won't work.

Does anyone know how to programme the key with the push button start version, please?

I have found a few guides but only with putting the key in the barrel and turning to position II, however my key won't turn in the barrel?

Many thanks guys,

Jake.

Are you use it was the battery at fault?

The key should not need re-programming just from a battery change.

You said your key doesn't turn in the barrel, I can't see why it wouldn't unless it was the wrong key?

The trip computer kept telling me the remote battery was low and after I changed it the old battery wouldn't work either.

I read online about how to reprogram it and the only guide I could find was when I had to turn the key to position ii four times to put it into learning mode.

The model I have has a cap over the ignition barrel but you can't actually turn the key it's just a slot for you put your key into and then use the push button start if your fob isn't working. I presume there is some sort if mechanism inside the barrel that recognises the key.

Do you have the push button start system too?

Cheers mate.

Yeah I have the push start, although mine is a MK3, so not sure how much things changed.

Do you have a key blade inside your fob? On mine, if you want to use the key backup, you have to hold the fob up against the steering column near the barrel so that the car can passively detect the immobiliser chip.

Still I would expect the key to work after changing the battery.

Try just inserting and removing the key to the barrel 4 times?

The key is the one in the top picture set however the barrel is literally a plastic barrel with a slot to put the key in which I'm guessing shapes to the key and then you can start using the push button.

Cheers again!

• 6 months later...

Hi jmcguckin,

I was wondering if you managed to solve the programming problem. I have the same problem on my 2010 Focus

Thanks,

Seeme

• 8 years later...

Hi,I have a push start button in my 60 plate Ford Focus,and I changed the Fob battery Today and I can start the CAR by holding the Fob near the ignition on steering column ,but I cannot lock the doors with Fob or by pressing the pad on the door handle .Can you please advise me on how to rectify.

• Sad 1

Your new battery is: (a) flat - voltage should be 3.3ish  (b) poor quality - Poundland special  (c) not installed correctly.

There are effectively two independent and unrelated functions of the keyfob. There is the active part which requires the battery, and is responsible for the remote operation of the door locks, and there is the passive part which does not need a battery and is what the ignition detects and allows the car to start.

12 hours ago, unofix said:

Your new battery is: (a) flat - voltage should be 3.3ish  (b) poor quality - Poundland special  (c) not installed correctly.

There are effectively two independent and unrelated functions of the keyfob. There is the active part which requires the battery, and is responsible for the remote operation of the door locks, and there is the passive part which does not need a battery and is what the ignition detects and allows the car to start.

Absolutely.

You've fitted a rubbish battery

Fit a brand new Energizer or Panasonic

15 hours ago, unofix said:

Absolutely concur, if you have a multimeter, test the voltage, as said, a new battery will punch out 3.3v, once it falls below 3v, it will start giving you issues. PoundLand batteries have their place, but not in a keyfob where it could leave you stranded in the rain at 2am not allowing you to get home!

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 12:04 PM, StephenFord said:

Absolutely concur, if you have a multimeter, test the voltage, as said, a new battery will punch out 3.3v, once it falls below 3v, it will start giving you issues. PoundLand batteries have their place, but not in a keyfob where it could leave you stranded in the rain at 2am not allowing you to get home!

It is worth unlocking and locking the driver's door the old fashioned way using the key in the lock once a week or so to stop the lock seizing.

Someone at work had a non Ford car which he had never once put the key in the door lock in the ten years he owned it. He always used the fob until one night the unlock button failed. He tried to open the door using the key and found the lock to be seized solid.

13 minutes ago, AntonovAN12 said:

It is worth unlocking and locking the driver's door the old fashioned way using the key in the lock once a week or so to stop the lock seizing.

If it will make you feel better, go for it.

Do you know if the key still works on your 2006 Focus ?

16 minutes ago, AntonovAN12 said:

I only do mine once a month or so. After obtaining the car some years back now, the lock had indeed seized, much penetrating oil (3 in 1) eventually freed it with much fettling. I have never ignored it since...

9 minutes ago, unofix said:

If it will make you feel better, go for it.

Do you know if the key still works on your 2006 Focus ?

Luckily for me it does, as I found out when my remote fob stopped working earlier in the year.

I have been making sure to use the key lock occasionally since then.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club