Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Galaxy - Intermittent Starting Issues

Johnny Men

Hi, I have intermittent starting issues with my 2010 2.0 TDCI galaxy. It fires and turns over but doesn't start. Can be fine for days and then it can take 5 or 10 cranks of the key. Doesn't seem to be any pattern in weather conditions, cold or warm engine etc. etc.

I've only once had a warning light on - on collection of my car from a garage after being serviced - their diagnostics pointed towards the ECU.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

John

Hi John,

When was the car last serviced?

Hi James,

Thanks for the response. It was serviced 2 weeks ago, but it was happening before and happening since.

I had another look around the forum after posting this and found a chap in the focus section who had exactly the same issues as me on his 2.0 TDCI focus.

As you will/can read there, I've followed his suggestion on what worked for him and cleaned the anti stutter valve assembly and I'm now just waiting to see if it makes any difference or if I need to sand the valve or replace the assembly.......

John

• 5 years later...

I know this is a really old thread but hope it may help others.

Had same symptons with my Galaxy TDCI QWXB engine. Takes 5-10 times before it will start no matter of hot or cold. Can stop when hot then still takes a number of attempts to start even if trying again straight away. It seemed to go for a while then came back with vengence after its MOT. Once running the car runs absolutly fine.

I was thinking I had issues with the fuel pump or injectors. Maybe even egr valve. The car has 139K so is not worth spending lots of money on.

Solution:

There is a anti shudder valve which is like a throttle body just where the intercooler to manifold pipe joint is. This is activated by vacuum and shuts when the engine switches off. It has a strong spring to open it back up ready for the next start.

In mine, the vale was sticking shut. This was effectivly starving the engine of air. Continuous starting attempts probably vibrated it open so the car would then eventually start. I took the valve off and cleaned it all up and everything has been good since. If it happens again then some modification will be in order or even disable the valve altogether. Its only 3 bolts to take the valve off the manifold.

So if you have starting issues similar to mine, check this valve first. Probably just giving it a tap will be enough to open the valve if its stuck shut and prove the point.

I only found 1 post on the net about this but cant believe others will have suffered this.

• 1 year later...

Just found this old thread and thought I should add my tuppensworth. I had this problem with my Galaxy some five years ago when it wasn't very old and managed to solve it. Since my Modification it has never reappeared.

Paula123 Explained the problem perfectly in the post below, and above:-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a anti shudder valve which is like a throttle body just where the intercooler to manifold pipe joint is. This is activated by vacuum and shuts when the engine switches off. It has a strong spring to open it back up ready for the next start.

In mine, the vale was sticking shut. This was effectivly starving the engine of air. Continuous starting attempts probably vibrated it open so the car would then eventually start. I took the valve off and cleaned it all up and everything has been good since. If it happens again then some modification will be in order or even disable the valve altogether. Its only 3 bolts to take the valve off the manifold.

So if you have starting issues similar to mine, check this valve first. Probably just giving it a tap will be enough to open the valve if its stuck shut and prove the point.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem is that the valve itself is steel and the body it operates in is plastic. The valve sticks in the plastic body and no amount of cleaning made any difference to my problem. I removed the small valve assembly from the car, easy job,  and measured the position of the valve inside the body while holding the valve slightly open from the fully shut position. I then drilled a small hole, about 1 mm, in the plastic body from the outside at the measured distance and screwed a small self tapping screw in a couple of turns until it just touched the valve which prevented it closing completely and jamming. This modification is similar to a throttle stop on a motorcycle which adjusts the tickover speed. I have never had any problems since, and the small screw is still in place and doing its job.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club