Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Swimming Pool In Boot

Mike77

Ok so i've searched high and low but can't seem to find a positive answer to my dilemma. Last week I opened the boot to check the spare wheel, and was greeted by around 2 inches of water in the spare wheel well. I had to drill small holes in the rubber grommets to drain it. I've heard the hinges holding the tailgate on can be a problem, but I assume if this was the case the roof lining would also be wet, but this isn't the case, its dry as a bone. The carpets either side in the boot are wet (ish) at the bottom. And the carpet that covers the spare wheel was wet, the insulation under it was quite soaked in places. Anyone have any ideas of were this may be coming from ??? Can't be doing the metal work any good. Cheers, Mike. :ph34r:

Running down the sides of the rear lights into the boot that way? Just a thought but if not what about the boot seal around the bottom n side?

There is so many things it COULD be, and it seems pretty common, so was looking for a more direct pointer, and start from there mate :)

The best way to do it is take all of the carpet out of the boot and then get a handy helper to give the boot a good going over with the hose (May not be needed in this !Removed! weather) and see if you can track where it is coming in from then. If you have a sunroof make sure the drain pipes aren't clogged also.

Yeah that was my next plan, get the Mrs to enjoy her weekend off spraying my car with the hose lol. She's out on the town now, so might cure her hangover tomoz with a little light hose play. See how it goes :-)

RIGHT Guys,,, spent the morning spraying water on the car, removed the rear lights, checked seals, cleaned and replaced, then started at the bottom and worked my way up around all welds, hinges, sealant etc etc, and it seem to be coming in from under the roof trim,,,,, the bit were a roof rack would go if you were to fit one..... Now, my question, does anyone know how to safely remove these without causing any damage, as I want to clean the gutters, and silicone where i'd imagine there are retaining clips. Any ideas appreciated.

They are just stuck on, just peeled them back cutting the sticky stuff as I went. Found the leak too, literally a pinhole in the sealant :-/ so going to seal it up and put everything back together see how it goes.

Same as mine then,,,, hope mine is sorted now, just need to wait for the rain again, coz its too cold to be standing around with a hose lol.

Seems pretty common on the Fiesta. I did read on here that if maybe due to the machine that welds the roof panels on not given enough time to warm up each morning, so the first few cars done each day are not watertight and water gets through the smaill pin holes under the sealent. Might be rubbish, but you never know.

I've got a lovely leak in my wife's focus that i need to find and fix, so i feel your pain.

Think I've got mine sorted, and all I could see (amazed I actually spotted it) was a pin hole in the sealant that is used to cover the welds you mentioned. Had to peel the roof gutter trim back about 18 inches, then just cleaned it, dried it, and started looking, I knew it was there somewhere, as I had spent AGES with the hose trying to eliminate different areas. So just used a black all weather sealant to cover the pinhole and to stick the trim back into place. Just got to keep my eye on it now.