Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0 Tdci Clutch

Wizza

I know the topic of clutch and DMF being replaced is extremely common (I have been reading here for a while) but is it possible to replace the clutch without having to replace the DMF?

My clutch is fairly low now and probably needs to be replaced within the next few months, but the car itself drives perfectly and has no symptoms of the DMF failing.

The reason why is because you have the gearbox off and access to the flywheel so you might as well do it rather than pay for labour to do it separately.

Sent from my HUAWEI P2 using Ford OC mobile app

How long will a clutch last with it being driven sensibly? And does that mean you need to change the flywheel on every clutch change?

I'm not sure of the interval for the dmf but if it does go I've heard you could be looking at replacing the clutch again. Do you know if its had one previously?

I don't unfortunately. I just purchased the car and all I know is it has a full service history. That is it...

Unfortunately on the diesels you have to regard the dmf as part of the clutch assembly. In fact in most cases the clutch outlasts the flywheel. It's also virtually impossible to assess the condition of the dmf. There is a special; tool available for about £300, but it's really pretty pointless. Petrol models very rarely need the dmf changing

• Like 1

Ive seen clutch, dmf and I think it was slave or master cylinder packages for £350ish pound. Does that sound about right?

You could also convert to a single mass flywheel - then, you've just got a clutch and the clutch lasts as long as clutches normally do.

It is an expensive operation (...but then, so is a DMF...) but you'll probably not have to replace it.

The problem converting to SMF is that where the DMF will bear the grunt, some other parts will take extra strain and likely fail which is why DMFs are now standard.

I'd be sticking with dmf if I'm honest. I'd prefer to keep it how it came. Does 350 sound about right?

£350 sounds about right for a 5 speed. You ideally want either LUK, Sachs or Valeo. I wouldn't advise buying of eBay personally, unless it's one of the big suppliers. If you're not doing the job yourself I'd advise against buying you own parts. In the event of a component failure you would have to pay the labour again. If you pay for the whole job, the whole responsibility goes with it.

• Like 1

So for a 5 speed, what sort of price would you say I would pay for an average garage to source and complete the job?