Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is My 2007 Fiesta Meant To Have Remote Central Locking?

peanutismint

I have a Mk 6 Fiesta (Zetec, Climate). As far as people have told me, it is capable of remote central locking, but just didn't come with a remote key when I bought it second hand (it was only supplied with the standard 'passive' engine/door lock/immobiliser key (with a blue 'chip' in it).

If I wanted to add RCL, is it easy/cheap to do? Also, how might I check once and for all whether it actually has the ability to lock remotely? The lights flash when I lock it manually with the engine key, if that means anything. It also has a boot popper button in the dashboard, and I'm 90% sure it has an immobiliser.

Anybody know?

Go to this site and enter your reg or vin.

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=CEA01AC0A75B6B4A71369E13088E50F2.fcvas504

It will tell you what spec your car is.

If your car comes up with remote locking then buy a new key off eBay and get a couple of quotes from local Auto Locksmiths to cut and code it for you.

Thanks mate.

So somewhere down the list it says 'With Door Entry Remote Control Unit', and also 'With Remote Controlled Tailgate Release' - I assume that means it does have RCL?

Will any key work (within reason)? What should I be looking for? Just 'Ford Fiesta remote key' or something? Also, any ideas how much approximately for the key and the cut/code? I don't wanna be ripped off as it's not something I desperately need....

A ford fiesta remote should be ok providing its for ur shape fiesta. U will however need the horseshoe cut to ur key number. Providing u have 2 standard keys u can program the remote urself. If u put the 1st key in turn ignition on not start the engine. Wait for the immobiliser light to go out then remove and fo the same with ur second key. Then do it again with your new remote key. Thats the immobiliser done. Then for the remote key, place in the igntion and switch between position 0 and 2 4 times ur hear a beep. Push a button on the remote itl beep again. Turn igntion on then off and fingers crossed hey presto

Peanutismint stated only having one key at the moment so doesn't have the option of self-programming.

Probably cost about £20 for a key and £40ish to programme.

Definitely worth ringing around.

Ford would charge £150ish plus the obligatory (uneccessary) diagnostic.

Cool thanks; I'd be happy to programme myself but does only having one key make that impossible? I assume even if I got a second key cut to the shape of my original that wouldn't help things.....??

I'll ring around tomorrow - thanks for the help so far!

The part that causes the difficulty is programming the immobiliser chip.

Without that the car won't start.

You could get a key and cut it to match and simply transfer the chip from your existing key.

Programme the central locking as per above and save a few quid but then you'd still only have one fully functioning key albeit one that runs your RCL as well as starts the car.

A keyblank horseshoe from ford is about £9.00 most dealers charge an hour labour on a key. Dependand on where in the country u r depends on the labour rate. We r £66 per hour inc vat. South east r about £105 + vat. But i would look on eBay for a remote. And as i see the expence of loosing a sole key i would defo have a spare done whether it be remote or plain key

Thanks guys - I have been thinking about buying a spare, hence asking about a remote one - that way, this passive key can become my 'spare' and I can add RCL to my car. So on eBay will they sell just the 'fob' part that I have to add the 'key' part into? Or could I buy a blank key that has a fob and get that cut/coded to my car? Is the coding part something I could do myself with that method described above or would I have to take it to an authorised dealer nowadays?

Also, I assume if I transferred the chip from my current key that probably wouldn't solve much as then I'd still have only one key that could start the car....??

Add to the price that Most (if not all) Ford dealers seem to insist on a diagnostic before touching a car nowadays.

At my local one that equates to £90.

You can see that the cost soon builds for something that takes 5-10 minutes to do.

eBay and a local Car Locky are imho the best course of action.

Ok, so (apologies for all the questions!) I buy something like this from eBay and then get it cut/coded at a local locksmiths? Would something that contain that transponder chip for my immobiliser or not?

As i say dealers vary dependant on where u are in uk. I work for a dealer and we charge £66 inc vant to cut and program a key job done drive away no pointless diagnostic. So 66 plus your £9 for the blank plus what ever ur remote costs. I will get the part number for the correct remote fob if it help but im not in till monday

Depends on what key blade you currently have.

There's a Tibbe blade-

Screenshot_2014-02-01-12-25-24-1.png

And there's a Laser blade-

Screenshot_2014-02-01-12-29-00-1.png

Let me know which type you have and I'll point you in the right direction.

Depends on what key blade you currently have.

There's a Tibbe blade-

And there's a Laser blade-

Let me know which type you have and I'll point you in the right direction.

Thanks, looks like mine's a Tibbe - good job I checked, I knew there'd be more to it! :-)

As i say dealers vary dependant on where u are in uk. I work for a dealer and we charge £66 inc vant to cut and program a key job done drive away no pointless diagnostic. So 66 plus your £9 for the blank plus what ever ur remote costs. I will get the part number for the correct remote fob if it help but im not in till monday

Ok well that's not that bad of a price I guess. Perhaps I'll try and find a dealer somewhere close to me (I'm in Cardiff). cheers mate!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club