Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In Car Video Camera.

Maximillion

I wish to install an in-car video unit, windscreen mounted (behind the rear-view mirror);

Could someone advise me about "routing" the power lead, around the windscreen, to my "cigarette-lighter" power socket:

My car is a late 2013 Ford Fiesta Titanium with reversing sensors and foldable wing mirrors.

Your help would be appreciated.

Hi Maxi,

I have just what you want fitted in my 2013 Fiesta, and it works beautifully.

If you'd like to read my online review, have a look here:

http://www.theiac.org.uk/news/Tom-Hardwick-review.pdf

Routing the USB power cable is easy-peasy. You'll need a 3 metre USB to micro USB. It will go from the camera straight under the front lip of the headlining and from there invisibily down the near-side A pillar. It then follows the lower edge of the glove box, along and under the lower edge of the centre console, only appearing at the last moment to plug into a £1 USB power take-off plug.

The camera is entirely automatic. It stops and starts with the ignition and the picture quality for a £55 camera has to be seen to be believed. It fills my 55'' TV with ease.

Very many thanks for the information given - so promptly: I haven't taken delivery of the camera yet but am confident that your advice will be invaluable.

What camera are you considering? I looked at quite a few and was very impressed by the SJ1000.

DOD LS430W sold by easyBattery (through amazon, direct or through eBay). Expensive, but with a very high spec., and good reviews.

I agree, great reviews, but it's three times the price of the SJ1000 and it's hard to see the need for that when the SJ's footage is so good. The DOD LS430W doesn't come with an under-water housing and doesn't take stills as far as I know. A friend considered this but ended up buying two SJs (one for the front screen and one for the rear) and pocketed fifty quid.

I would have bought the SJ1000 if I had known about it; much better value: yes, the DOD LS430W does take still photos - but "purchasers" say that you're better using your camera/phone - and only using it as a last resort.

I've been considering the roadhawk HD for my 2013 Fez ZS. It's pricey at £239 but uses Google maps to show location and speed.

Any thoughts on this?

For all pourposes, appart from the most professional video work, your phone, or the cheapest of the dash cameras will be good enough. IMO, of course.

Sent from VladanMovies using Tapatalk

Better look at comments on the amazon site before buying; the "thread" below was copied from a contributor tp Amazon: SD Card problems seem to be an issue. Hope that this helps.

"Overall I think these cameras are OK but, they are badly let down by poor software development. Having to regularly remove and format memory cards from both the rear 720 and the front HD is a pain. Having to then put them back in the camera after the format, start the engine and then remove it once more before returning to the computer so the software can find the memory card, is protracted and an onerous task. I will hate doing it every week to stop this loud and very annoying RoadHawkHD "SD card or camera error" voice alarm!"

£239 for a car camera? That's twice the cost of a good Nikon or Canon compact in Currys. Have another read of my SJ1000 test, I implore you.

And back on topic, beware, routing USB cable anywhere near tuner antenna may severely impact radio (FM) reception.

And for the sake of camera quality discussion, if I'm allowed, here's my YT channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/VladanMovies

with hundreds of clips, all takn by cameras that cost less than EUR20, and some taken by either Nokia N82, Nokia 5800XM, or Zopo C2 (Chinese Android phone). There is one clip where I compare Zopo to iPhone4 to N82, but that one, sadly, is about the single one not driving clip on the channel.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club