Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My New Mobius Dashcam

mixmasterlooney

I have finally bought myself a dashcam and i am very pleased with my purchase.

The camera is called Mobius ActionCam and it's a multifunction action cam, one of those function is being a dashcam and it does this rather well, infact it does it better than that anything else for the price.

The camera cost £41 and it can be purchased here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mobius-ActionCam-Full-HD-Sports-Camera-1080P-30FPS-720P-60FPS-Pocket-Camcorder-/151071891306?pt=Camcorders_Professional_Video_Cameras&hash=item232c961f6a

I highly recommend if anyone buying this camera purchase from the above link (Seller eletoponline365) The camera is made and sold by this specific seller from Hong Kong with the lowest price anywhere. (delivery takes 1 week)

Lets get down to what this camera is and some of it's features.

1080p full HD recording

720p HD recording

H.264AVC1 .MOV files

Photo mode

SD card slot upto 32GB

Plug and play for windows

Live TV out whilst recording

Data transfer from camera

80mins real life recording on battery

And much more although i will only mention features relevant to car cams as this camera can be hooked upto remote control planes, motorbikes etc, it's an action cam!

and it looks like this

ru15.jpg

This is what comes with the camera (Plus a multifunction USB, TV out adaptor cable not in photo)

iqle.jpg

Here it what it looks like in person and how small it is, as you can see compared to my keyfob it is indeed a very small camera so is the mount. The Camera does not have a viewfinder like some of the other cameras others have chosen, i specifically went for a cam without a viewfinder for it's compact size and quality.

xfj7.jpg

jhqw.jpg

Now i must admit at first i was worried setting up the camera would be difficult without a viewfinder although that is not a problem, the mobius actioncam can be used as a webcam therefore plugging it into your laptop will give you a view whilst setting up in the car but i am pleased to say that will not be necessary, the camera wide view is great any almost any position pointing straight will be perfect every time.

I am truly impressed with the compact size of this unit! it's barely visible from outside of the car and wiring it up is simple, since the cam has no viewfinder, no settings can be changed via the camera itself, you have to connect it to your computer, download the software here http://www.mytempfiles.info/mobius/index.html and change whatever you need, out the box it will work just fine although for a car settings must be made for the best quality videos and auto start recording, the software is simple and it works, there is no drama no errors no bs, just plug it in, and run the software.

3crc.png

I must stress to anyone thinking about this camera, it does not come with any mounts suitable for a car, hence the price, the mounts, and there are several available, all sold separately, there is a suction cup mount and a sticky back mount, i bought the sticky back mount for permanently fixing it to myself windscreen +plus it is slightly smaller than a suction cup mount.

2lrc.jpg

kan1.jpg

xfj7.jpg

Mounts cost under £3

Suction cup

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Windshield-Suction-Cup-Mount-Holder-for-Mobius-Action-Sports-Camera-/181166005622?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Sticky back

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Windshield-Mini-Tape-Mount-Holder-for-Mobius-Action-Sports-Camera-/161054762107?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

SD card fully tested and working in the mobius, compatible and and confirmed by Ben

£9.99

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/291166483317

Instructions on how to hard wire this dash cam can be found here http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/tutorials/article/229-dash-cam-hard-wiring-mobius-actioncam/ under the guides sections

Links to parts for hard wiring below (Thanks to Higgsy)

3Meter DC 12V-24V to 5V 3A Right Angled 90 Degree Mini USB Power Converter Cable http://www.ebay.com/itm/130978719862

Mini Blade Fuse Piggyback Kit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADD-A-CIRCUIT-FUSE-TAP-PIGGYBACK-EXTRAFUSE-MINI-BLADE-TYPE-/251170199430?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a7ae91786&clk_rvr_id=603448643401&afsrc=1

3A Mini Blade Fuse Set http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-BLADE-CAR-FUSES-3A-4A-5A-7-5A-10A-15A-20A-25A-30A-5-OF-EACH-45-/190836262993?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c6eba4851

• Like 3

The camera comes with a lens cap that i personally find very useful when fitting or moving the camera to avoid smearing the lens, the lens focus is also adjustable and a small tool is provided for that adjustment, i find the default settings perfectly fine

2ikq.jpg

Anyways so it looks like this in the car, this is only temporary until i am satisfied with all the settings and position behind the mirror then i will hardwire in the camera and use the mount stick back, ATM however using tape to hold it for testing.

k7g0.jpg
dqgf.jpg
vaci.jpg
8g09.jpg
ajmj.jpg

Really happy with the quality of the camera all round mated with a 32GB micro SD card i am able to max out video quality

Sample shot at night whilst wet (Click the little gear bottom left and change quality to 1080p) Youtube video compression has truly ruined the quality and i will upload some higher quality videos when i get the chance to do so

Sample daytime

At 2:00 corsa cuts me up without even giving a damn or even indicating, deffo a near miss lucky for him i value my car and he doesn't know i have him on video being a cheese cake

Keep in mind video quality is far better than youtube allows

There is alot of things i truly haven't mentioned about this dashcam it's really too much to go into so here is an expert who can tell you everything you need to know about this bad boy

James May doing voice overs

• Like 2

I pretty much felt like this on delivery day

• Like 1

Haha blatant running of a red light by that accord on the night vid!

• Like 3

You'd be amazed the amount of stuff i have caught in the last couple of hours on the road with my dashcam, it's made me self concious about my driving too and well i kind of like it!

• Like 1

Thinking about getting one 41 quid isn't much. Can you set it to start recording as soon as it gets DC power? I would like to hook it up to something like this

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=161132397465

Piggy backing onto a fuse that gets power when the ignition is on so as soon as the ignition is on it starts recording , hopefully there is one on the cockpit fuse board.

• Like 2

Yeah you can do exactly that, the option is on the first page of the software. I have mine set to (both) auto record on power on or power button pressed for on.

I actually worked out that this camera will not need any kind of hard wiring or wiring to auto start on ignition, being a ZS if you plug the camera into the USB slot inside of the armrest storage, this usb only has power when ignition is on therefore the camera will auto start and stop.

You will need a usb extension cable though, the provided cable is too short, i bought a 3M usb extension at maplin for £10 only because i could not wait few days for eBay delivery

• Like 1

Cheers thats good then. I use my USB all of the time and I had to retrofit mine so I don't have the stock socket in the arm rest. I kinda like the idea of fitting it all behind the glove so I can just forget about it and know that when I press the start button its recording and if use a piggy back fuse its completely removable too for the sake of a fiver that's got to be better than tying up the USB socket surely?

• Like 2

Deffo bud, i plan to hardwire mine in with something like you've shown tapping off the original feed for the USB under the armrest, this is already fused and power on ignition whilst keeping the original usb slot free. It will be VERY easy to wire it in.

Deffo go for something like what you've suggested because a dedicated unit like that will only provide usb 5V power and nothing else. plugging the camera straight into the usb slot on the car using a DATA cable will send the camera into standby mode as if it's connected to a computer, however if you use a usb cable with only power capabilities and no data transfer it will power on the camera just fine.

In other words if you use the unit in the link above with a data cable it will allow the camera to work as normal as that unit does not do data, it only do power, positive and negative.

Hope that makes sense lol... a usb cable for power ONLY is provided BTW but like i said it's way too short and is only an adaptor for multiple function, parts of it can be disconnected and other parts connected, hence the extension

But yeah thanks for the link james lol i will order this unit :D

• Like 2

Just have a search before buying as there were a fair few on there mate some in uk some abroad may as well just pick up a piggy back fuse too for a couple of quid, then u don't have to worry about tapping into any wires, and you can then tell me which one is best haha :p

• Like 2

Not made any purchase yet but i will take a quick looks around before buying indeed :D

Very pleased with the cam so far bud! It's highly compared to gopro hero 3 and quality wise it wins!

• Like 1

This looks even better. Right angled to reduce the sticky outy ness at the rear of the cam

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=130978718214

You know what, i kicked myself not thinking ahead because that is exactly what i wanted and they did not have it at maplin, i will still buy something like this soon. Firstly i have to build myself a custom mount to reduce the look of the camera inside of the car then comes cables to match that look.

On my list is a second camera the exact same camera for rear view recording, will be using the left over extension cables for that, they will both run off the same power all in the planning

• Like 1

Haha, what a coincidence Kurt, as mine (exact same dash-cam) just arrived in the post yesterday. (only got back home today)

Having fiddled with the settings, (also used the GUI windows tool, its great), I need to figure out a permanent wiring solution.

Great to see you bought it too though - great little piece of kit it seems!

• Like 1

Haha, what a coincidence Kurt, as mine (exact same dash-cam) just arrived in the post yesterday. (only got back home today)

Having fiddled with the settings, (also used the GUI windows tool, its great), I need to figure out a permanent wiring solution.

Great to see you bought it too though - great little piece of kit it seems!

I'm sure you are as i am very impressed with the video quality! on 1080p with high settings it's just great! :D

Did you purchase a mount and if so what one did you go for?

• Like 1

They have removed your daytime video for copyright reasons!!!

• Like 2

I'm sure you are as i am very impressed with the video quality! on 1080p with high settings it's just great! :D

Did you purchase a mount and if so what one did you go for?

I didn't have much of a chance to try it out yet mate - the camera arrived just an hour after I left for a long weekend road-trip! Great luck eh? ^_^

But I've played around with the settings, and taken a few vids at home and it seems great. It took me quite a while to figure out what all the LED colours mean! I was amazed at how small it is though.

I purchased the windscreen sucker mount that eletepo (cant remember the exact name) sells on eBay, I bought it with the camera. I haven't fixed it to the car yet, but it appears quite sturdy, and easily adjustable so I am quite happy with it.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 2

Just to let you know guys I have ordered this power inverter/cable.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=130978719862

You can get either left or right angled. Right angled will go back across the body of the device and I think it will look neater that way. I then intend to go behind the roof lining down the passenger a pillar and behind the glovebox piggy backing on an acc activated fuse so it stops/starts with the ignition button.

Like kurt I also bought both the suction cup and the permanent sticky mount (may as well at under 6quid for both)

Looking forward to getting this great price and great review from Kurt that really sold it to me

• Like 2

Another cool thing I have discovered is you can configure the device and also view your videos via an android device with usb-otg support.

• Like 2

I've just realised the its the left angled power cable/inverter that's gonna be best not the right angled one either will work but its the left angled one that I think will make it look neater

• Like 2

Steve same opinion i have i'm very happy with it indeed it really has met my expectations

Just to let you know guys I have ordered this power inverter/cable.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=130978719862

You can get either left or right angled. Right angled will go back across the body of the device and I think it will look neater that way. I then intend to go behind the roof lining down the passenger a pillar and behind the glovebox piggy backing on an acc activated fuse so it stops/starts with the ignition button.

Like kurt I also bought both the suction cup and the permanent sticky mount (may as well at under 6quid for both)

Looking forward to getting this great price and great review from Kurt that really sold it to me

This cable is perfect, left angle it best, it will stay within the area of the camera only and back to the roof lining. Temp wired it under the passenger sun visor and under the passenger A pillar had two people in the car who did not notice the wire going down the side under the glove box, once i get all the right cables it will be completely hidden, the wiring will come from the same place as the rain sensor wiring, will look the business when i'm done!

Do you know what ACC cable you're tapping into? it would be great if there is an ACC power supply under the glove box rather than running cables to the radio.

Another cool thing I have discovered is you can configure the device and also view your videos via an android device with usb-otg support.

Yeah there is an official app on google play store free! USB OTG 99p UK seller how cool is that! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-USB-Host-Cable-Male-to-USB-Female-OTG-Adapter-Android-Tablet-PC-and-Phone-/271232387804?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccesories_MobilePhoneDataCables_JN&hash=item3f26b5cadc

I've just realised the its the left angled power cable/inverter that's gonna be best not the right angled one either will work but its the left angled one that I think will make it look neater

The first cable you posted was actually left bud it's correct :D

BTW i forgot to mention how good the camera feels, unlike the usual china brittle plastic stuff, mobius cam has a soft grippy plastic feel it's great, feels solid

• Like 2

There are a fair few options on the cabin fuseboard I did have a look but cant remember the numbers now. Thing is with the piggy back fuse you can just swap around until you find the one that works.

• Like 2