Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My New Mobius Dashcam

mixmasterlooney

Not very long, as it only takes a few minutes to fully charge...

It holds enough charge to immediately save the video, and then shut down (Hence the need to stop immediately on power loss).

Yeah it probably won't hold enough charge to leave it recording when I leave the car as I do now. It's a bit of a compromise, but if anyone knows of any problems with the Mobius overheating then it's probably worth having the capacitor.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed now that on 2 occasions I've had a large quantity of unreadable files in the LOST.dir folder. There was 1 occasion where there were 32GB worth of files in the folder... Meaning my dashcam wouldn't actually record video's [even though the camera was on]

Any idea why this is happening?

post-62796-142990361007_thumb.jpg

Lost files tend to come from unexpected shutdowns

Lost files tend to come from unexpected shutdowns

I have it set to shut down 10 seconds, after turning the ignition off.

Reformat your SD card and check it for errors. I've occasionally had errors on the card and doing this has stopped them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Is there an ability to set a longer delay?

The only options via the settings APP (or desktop program) are:

Power off:

• Immediate
  • After 10 secs
  • On low battery

This morning I've reformatted the SD card (via the Mobius phone app), I will keep an eye on it over the coming days.

I haven't tried the phone app so don't know if it might have issues. The PC software seems perfectly reliable though, so it might be worth formatting it with that and using it to reconfigure the settings if you still have problems.

Pics of my current on going rear set up. Few things need sorting. need to remove my foc sticker sadly.

Cable is held on with a bit of tape temporary this is stop the cable from twisting the cam when the boot lid is closed, the tape is temporary until I am fully satisfied with the setup then I will use some sort of glue that isn't permanent or visible.

Unfortunately there is some slight vibration going on, not enough to bother me but is isn't vibration free like my front cam

How much wiring are you using to reach the rear? Will 3 meters be enough, or would I ideally need a 5 meter lead?

As my plan of route will be start off behind glove box, up along the passenger door seal, then follow along side the roof lining (tucking wiring in as I would go along) until I reach the rear end of vehicle.

Go for 5 on the safe side.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody else noticed a huge drop in battery run time?

The first time I used my camera 4 months ago I got over 2 hours record time on a full charge,

Today I only got 40 minutes of constant recording, pretty sure it was fully charged lastnight.

I noticed I only got about an hour the other week, seems to be deteriorating fast.

Yeh it's cheap & easy to replace, but that's annoying if I need to buy 3 or 4 batteries a year to keep it running,

I mainly do short trips and like to have it in my bag, so not really interested in wiring it up in car.

Anybody else noticed a huge drop in battery run time?

The first time I used my camera 4 months ago I got over 2 hours record time on a full charge,

Today I only got 40 minutes of constant recording, pretty sure it was fully charged lastnight.

I noticed I only got about an hour the other week, seems to be deteriorating fast.

Yeh it's cheap & easy to replace, but that's annoying if I need to buy 3 or 4 batteries a year to keep it running,

I mainly do short trips and like to have it in my bag, so not really interested in wiring it up in car.

Yeah I did quite soon after getting mine, luckily I'd already bought the super capacitor which I planned to fit when weather started getting hot.

I swapped this out in 5min and it's been no bother ever since.

I'll test my battery life after the next trip when I know it'll be fully charged. I'm guessing if the batteries are deteriorating this fast, it's because they don't like being charged for long periods of time and never being used without being charged. Also in the hot weather the batteries will be getting very hot and possibly not holding charge as well?

It would be great if they developed a proper lithium ion battery for the camera, and a proper charging mode for it that prolongs its life.

• Like 1

Yeah I did quite soon after getting mine, luckily I'd already bought the super capacitor which I planned to fit when weather started getting hot.

I swapped this out in 5min and it's been no bother ever since.

I've noticed alot of people here are running them with super capacitors,

I like to keep it in my bag because like the idea I can use it for anything, not just a dashcam.

It was brilliant when it would cover my short (10-15min) trips to work all week on one charge.

I'll test my battery life after the next trip when I know it'll be fully charged. I'm guessing if the batteries are deteriorating this fast, it's because they don't like being charged for long periods of time and never being used without being charged. Also in the hot weather the batteries will be getting very hot and possibly not holding charge as well?

It would be great if they developed a proper lithium ion battery for the camera, and a proper charging mode for it that prolongs its life.

It has got a lithium ion battery, just not a very big one due to the size of the camera.

Mine stills runs for about an hour, had it over a year.

I do wonder if the supplied charger is up to the job, I never used mine (using a higher current plug, then hardwired).

If you leave your camera in the car all the time I recommend a capacitor then don't have to worry about charging issues/battery exploding and damaging camera/car in hot weather.

Mine is hard-wired, so it's difficult to say. Although I always get 3 flashes from the rear LED, when I turn the ignition on - which would indicate a full battery. For how long it would run without external power is a different question.

• Like 1

It has got a lithium ion battery, just not a very big one due to the size of the camera.

Mine stills runs for about an hour, had it over a year.

I do wonder if the supplied charger is up to the job, I never used mine (using a higher current plug, then hardwired).

Actually I think it's a LiPo (lithium polymer) battery which is cheaper and not as good as Li-Ion. I can't remember the exact differences but I think one of them is that Li-Ion can be charged more often without deteriorating.

If you leave your camera in the car all the time I recommend a capacitor then don't have to worry about charging issues/battery exploding and damaging camera/car in hot weather.

I thought that at first but I don't think it's going to get that hot. If you touch the camera after it's been recording in direct sunlight for a while, the only bit that's very hot is the heat sink, but that's kind of the point of a heat sink. The plastic parts don't get as hot as your average laptop. Whether this means it isn't going to overheat I don't know though.

Tempted to get a second Mobius tbh,

I'd like to get the new Type C lens, my lens has a spot on it and the battery is on it's way out.

I could use this one as an external camera on nice days, on roof or under bumper etc.

Actually I think it's a LiPo (lithium polymer) battery which is cheaper and not as good as Li-Ion. I can't remember the exact differences but I think one of them is that Li-Ion can be charged more often without deteriorating.

I don't think its a true LiPo pack. If you read the Wikipedia article on the subject there seems to be two types. The type with a dry polymer electrolyte (LiPo), and the type in a flexible polymer casing/pouch with a liquid or gelled electrolyte. The latter being no different to Li-ion packs.

The general manufacture of Möbius cameras may mean that sub par batteries have been used - unfortunately I don't think you'll find a better battery to fit the form factor and case of the camera. If you want to extend it further, you could investigate using a USB power bank as an extended battery.

• Like 1

Tempted to get a second Mobius tbh,

I'd like to get the new Type C lens, my lens has a spot on it and the battery is on it's way out.

I could use this one as an external camera on nice days, on roof or under bumper etc.

I considered a front facing camera in the grill at one point, put off by the fact that any muck on the road may cover the lens (someone sprays their windscreen, some spray gets on the lens, and even on a dry day the dust will start sticking to it)

An exterior camera is not ideal, imagine the amount of bugs sticking to it during the warmer months. Lol.

An exterior camera is not ideal, imagine the amount of bugs sticking to it during the warmer months. Lol.

It would only be for those nice roads on a nice day just for fun,

I'd only do it with a second unit I wasn't bothered about, I'm not daft enough to use it there permanently lol.

It would only be for those nice roads on a nice day just for fun,

I'd only do it with a second unit I wasn't bothered about, I'm not daft enough to use it there permanently lol.

I'm only teasing ;) :D

• 3 months later...

Hello, folks.

I could be imagining this.... Are there new, different lenses for the Mobius out there at all? I know there is the A and C lenses, but was wondering is there are any that you can install elsewhere from the camera body?

I think I saw something like that on the these forums, but can't find anything on it!

The time for a rear facing camera has presented it's self several times in a short space of times... <_<

Cheers!

Kye