Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My New Mobius Dashcam

mixmasterlooney

That'll be your prob. Class 4 is recommended and Kingston is a good call..

I'm surprised really how much the quality of sd cards varies so much

so class 4 and a kingston memory card god i have been scrolling through this thread for ages looking for a link or a memory card type maybe if i had of looked from the last page back wards it would have saved me ages

before i buy this on is this the correct one ?

http://www.mymemory.ie/SDHC/Kingston/Kingston-32GB-SD-Card-(SDHC)---Class-4

so class 4 and a kingston memory card god i have been scrolling through this thread for ages looking for a link or a memory card type maybe if i had of looked from the last page back wards it would have saved me ages

before i buy this on is this the correct one ?

http://www.mymemory.ie/SDHC/Kingston/Kingston-32GB-SD-Card-(SDHC)---Class-4

That one looks like a larger SD card, you need a micro one like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-Micro-SDHC-Memory/dp/B00D9OQ1JS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412234564&sr=8-1&keywords=micro+sd+32gb

thanks Phil thats why I asked so i didnt buy the wrong one haha

Here is the sd card bought and tested in a mobius by Ben.

Buying the same card elsewhere may produce different results sadly so here is the link

Here's the class 4 card I bought. Works flawlessly:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/291166483317

Here is the sd card bought and tested in a mobius by Ben.

Buying the same card elsewhere may produce different results sadly so here is the link

That looks identical to the one I just took out of my phone and tried in the Mobius, and it seems ok. I'll have to wait til tomorrow to try it while driving but just did a quick test and it seems to no longer make those buzzing noises I mentioned. Any other issues and I'll try updating the firmware.

I've had an idea about what to do if you're in an accident and catch it on film, what I'd do is take the camera off the windscreen and continue filming while I get the details of the other car and argue with the idiot that drove into me lol. That's a good reason to just use the standard battery instead of the capacitor, but with the auto recording you would have to remember to turn the camera back on again after disconnecting it (I have mine set to auto record when either the cable is connected or power button is pressed).

• Like 1

Take photos with your phone if you have a dash-cam unplug it and even if it records a little bit more it will stop if it's off there's no chance of it losing your footage, in all seriousness I have been in 3 accidents 2 non fault and the first thing you think about is not the dash-cam

• Like 1

Take photos with your phone if you have a dash-cam unplug it and even if it records a little bit more it will stop if it's off there's no chance of it losing your footage, in all seriousness I have been in 3 accidents 2 non fault and the first thing you think about is not the dash-cam

That's true, in the heat of the moment I'd probably forget I even have a dash cam lol.

That looks identical to the one I just took out of my phone and tried in the Mobius, and it seems ok. I'll have to wait til tomorrow to try it while driving but just did a quick test and it seems to no longer make those buzzing noises I mentioned. Any other issues and I'll try updating the firmware.

I've had an idea about what to do if you're in an accident and catch it on film, what I'd do is take the camera off the windscreen and continue filming while I get the details of the other car and argue with the idiot that drove into me lol. That's a good reason to just use the standard battery instead of the capacitor, but with the auto recording you would have to remember to turn the camera back on again after disconnecting it (I have mine set to auto record when either the cable is connected or power button is pressed).

This is true and in case you haven't notice the mobius has you covered on this.

You can have it auto record on external power such as hard wire but if you remove the cam power is lost and it turns off, you can turn the cam on manually and this is where the mobius have you covered.

There is an option for two recording set up. I have the first set for external power where video is rotated 180 degree (because the camera is upside down) and second recording set up is without video flipped so it can held in hand and manually record outside of the car without your video being "up side down" you can also set different frame rate 30/60 fps or 1080/720p

I have both recording setup 1 and 2 set to 30fps 1080p with set up 1 rotated 180 degrees and auto record on external power, set up 2 goes to stand by when manually turned on you can choose to then take a photo or record a video with the camera facing the correct way

Don't think I could forget my cam, it's always on my mind whenever in the car, it's hard to forget about it but I would use my phone tbh rather than potentially disturbing the mobiu

Infact if I had an accident I would need a temperature and dust control room to remove my mobius sd card, the risk of losing evidence would be too great lol

• Like 1

Don't think I could forget my cam, it's always on my mind whenever in the car, it's hard to forget about it but I would use my phone tbh rather than potentially disturbing the mobiu

Infact if I had an accident I would need a temperature and dust control room to remove my mobius sd card, the risk of losing evidence would be too great lol

Yeah I know what you mean, the micro SD card is so small and fiddly, each time I take it out of the camera I worry I'm going to lose it through the gap behind the handbrake or something lol. Luckily with the class 4 SD card it seems to be working ok, so I can just take my laptop out to the car when I need to get footage off it, no need to disturb the camera.

I quite like my cam as I'm not sure if the Mobius can do this but when you plug mine in you can set it essentially to be a USB drive for easy download. I have my impact sensor very low, so I know even some potholes it can think I crashed so I know my footage is safe but as a failsafe I just unplug it soon as possible. Also the fact mine has stopped overwriting these days is a bonus too lol

Right thought I'd update

I'm still having issues with my cam

I changed all the settings to what mixmasterlooney suggested.

I kept the camera on charge for 2-3 hours yesterday until the green light went out then unplugged and plugged back in and gave it another 2-3 hours until the green light went out again.

When I start the car I sometimes get a blue light flash then the recording light comes on for 2-3 flashes then goes out.

A few times I've held the power button in to start the camera which then starts to record and I can switch my engine off fine & it stops recording. I can then start my car 2-3 times and each time the camera will start to record with no problems??? Like last night until I come to drive home in the morning after my cars been sitting there 9 hours no lights on the camera nothing.

I then power on via the button and it proceeds to work fine again any ideas?

David I assume you're connecting the camera to the 12V cigarette socket? Have you tried a different 12V adapter and USB cable? It might be worth checking if those are faulty just to rule them out. Or try connecting it to a USB mains plug, like a phone charger, that should get it to start recording the same as connecting it in the car.

If none of this works it's probably a faulty camera.

I quite like my cam as I'm not sure if the Mobius can do this but when you plug mine in you can set it essentially to be a USB drive for easy download. I have my impact sensor very low, so I know even some potholes it can think I crashed so I know my footage is safe but as a failsafe I just unplug it soon as possible. Also the fact mine has stopped overwriting these days is a bonus too lol

Yes the Mobius acts as a USB drive too so it's easy to get files off it. It doesn't have an impact sensor and you can't lock files, but it can record for nearly 4 hours in 1080p with a 32GB card, so I don't know how you would manage to record for that long after a crash and lose your crucial footage.

Right thought I'd update

I'm still having issues with my cam

I changed all the settings to what mixmasterlooney suggested.

I kept the camera on charge for 2-3 hours yesterday until the green light went out then unplugged and plugged back in and gave it another 2-3 hours until the green light went out again.

When I start the car I sometimes get a blue light flash then the recording light comes on for 2-3 flashes then goes out.

A few times I've held the power button in to start the camera which then starts to record and I can switch my engine off fine & it stops recording. I can then start my car 2-3 times and each time the camera will start to record with no problems??? Like last night until I come to drive home in the morning after my cars been sitting there 9 hours no lights on the camera nothing.

I then power on via the button and it proceeds to work fine again any ideas?

I had exactly this when I first got my mobius. I made contact with the seller and after confirming several test the problem became clear my sd card was not compatible, the seller sent me a different firmware that help but did not fix completely, it would work on auto record but get stuck on manual recording.

I can send you the firmware he sent me or you can just update to the latest firmware, later firmware are compatible with more sd cards.

Your best bet though for the most reliable recording is to purchase a class 4 Kingston post above.

Firmware update will confirm if it's a sd card issue

I'm surprised the Mobius doesn't have a g sensor!

I'm surprised the Mobius doesn't have a g sensor!

I assume it doesn't anyway. It's not designed primarily as a dashcam but certainly does the job well. From a couple of dash cam reviews I saw on Youtube, G sensors can be a bit unreliable, being activated by harsh bumps etc. I mean if someone rolls back into you that would probably be less of a jolt than going over a pothole, so it's probably not the most reliable way to detect a collision.

• Like 1

David I assume you're connecting the camera to the 12V cigarette socket? Have you tried a different 12V adapter and USB cable? It might be worth checking if those are faulty just to rule them out. Or try connecting it to a USB mains plug, like a phone charger, that should get it to start recording the same as connecting it in the car.

If none of this works it's probably a faulty camera.

Yes the Mobius acts as a USB drive too so it's easy to get files off it. It doesn't have an impact sensor and you can't lock files, but it can record for nearly 4 hours in 1080p with a 32GB card, so I don't know how you would manage to record for that long after a crash and lose your crucial footage.

The mobius can lock files using one of the buttons while recording. I think the newer firmware automatically locks the previous file if you are close to the beggining of a new file, or the next one if you are close to the end which sounds like a good idea. I haven't tried this as I haven't updated my firmware but with 4 hours recording time I think I would have time to copy the files I need before they get overwritten anyway.

• Like 1

Going to get me one of these shortly, especially after an incident on Friday. Approaching a slight right hand bend and could see a cyclist coming the other way with a car behind him. The car driver only started to overtake him didn't he? I saw that it was going to be a close thing so foot off throttle and covered brake, applied brake when I figured out he wasn't going to get in front of cyclist safely. He 'just' managed to get in without causing a collision!

How he didn't see me coming I don't know. I was driving a 2.5 metre tall BRIGHT ORANGE Renault truck at the time!!! A quick blast on the airhorns made sure he knew I was there :)

So a quick question about the Mobius, I have read all/most of the 18 pages so might have missed it, but is there a button to press to save a segment of recording?

Simply press the mode "M" button. Older firmware would just mark the current file as readonly (if the cam had started recording a new file, you could potentially lose the one with the goodness in it. The new firmware will mark both previous and current files if less than 1m in, current if 1m <= time <= 4m and the current and next file if more than 4m in the current file, so you should never lose any footage once the M button is pressed.

• Like 1

Went for a quick drive, video below. That was default video settings on high quality with no HDR. Quite happy with it although Youtube murders the quality even in 1080p.

The only problem is the video stutters a bit, I think it doesn't like street lights and keeps overcompensating for the extra light, which seems to cause the stutter. Also there are little buzzing and beeping sounds in the audio which I guess are caused by the battery charging or something like that, but these are minor things. Anyone else have the same issues? I haven't updated the firmware so might try that.

The stuttery frame in dark scenes is fixed in the most recent firmware (thankfully!). I don't have mine recording audio because who wants to listen to my music (and me occasionally having a conversation with myself?)

Simply press the mode "M" button. Older firmware would just mark the current file as readonly (if the cam had started recording a new file, you could potentially lose the one with the goodness in it. The new firmware will mark both previous and current files if less than 1m in, current if 1m <= time <= 4m and the current and next file if more than 4m in the current file, so you should never lose any footage once the M button is pressed.

This is excellent information. I wasn't aware this feature was included in the later firmware. It is a great feature and makes sense? 1 min is more than enough time to lock the file. Thanks for sharing this

I had exactly this when I first got my mobius. I made contact with the seller and after confirming several test the problem became clear my sd card was not compatible, the seller sent me a different firmware that help but did not fix completely, it would work on auto record but get stuck on manual recording.

I can send you the firmware he sent me or you can just update to the latest firmware, later firmware are compatible with more sd cards.

Your best bet though for the most reliable recording is to purchase a class 4 Kingston post above.

Firmware update will confirm if it's a sd card issue

I'm currently on the latest firmware V2.18

My sd card is a class 4 Kingston which was recommended in this thread.

I'm not using the 12v socket it's hardwired into the ignition

In that case bettz it's worth trying a different fuse.

Is it possible that you can test it using a 12v socket? With a different usb cable just plug it in and see it the cam comes on

The Möbius will turn on in a different mode depending on cable used - if a cable is connected to the PC it will not turn on and record - the instructions should tell you more

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Ford OC mobile app

The average USB lead uses 4 connections where a power usage only uses 2 of the 4. This is how the camera knows the difference between 12v and pc

In that case bettz it's worth trying a different fuse.

Is it possible that you can test it using a 12v socket? With a different usb cable just plug it in and see it the cam comes on

Any idea on what fuse i could tap?

I cant try a 12v test at the moment i'll have to send off for the cables & adapter

Has anybody got a link for the adapter & cable from a uk seller?

Also noticed the Date & time are wrong on the videos

Here's my SYSCFG.TXT file

IDEO MODE 1
Movie Resolution=[0];0:1080p(Wide AOV),1:1080p(Narrow AOV),2:720p(Wide AOV),3:720p(Narrow AOV),4:WVGA (Wide AOV), 5:WVGA (Narrow AOV),
Movie Frame Rate=[3];1:60fps (only for wvga and 720p Narrow AOV),2:50fps (only for wvga and 720p Narrow AOV),3:30fps,4:25 fps,5:20 fps,6:15 fps,7:10 fps,8:5 fps,
Movie Time Lapse Record=[0];0:off,1:0.25s,2:0.5s,3:1s,4:2s,5:5s,6:10s,7:30s,8:Custom
Movie Time Lapse Record Customized Value=[1] ; in minutes, values from 1 to 1440 (1 day)
Movie Sound=[1];set movie sound,0:Mute,1:On,
Movie Cycle time=[2];movie cycle time,0:3 minutes,1:5 minutes,2:10 minutes,3:15 minutes,4:max to 4G byte,
Movie Loop Recording=[0];set loop recording on or off,0:off,1:on,
Movie Flip=[0];set movie rotate,0:off,1:on,
Movie Time stamp=[1];set date/time stamp on or off,0:off,1:on,
Movie quality=[1];set movie quality,set movie data rate,0:Super,1:Standard,2:Low,
Movie high dynamic range=[0];set movie high dynamic range,0:off,1:on,2:Enhanced Brightness,
Movie file format=[0];set movie file format,0:MOV,1:AVI,2:MP4,3:WAV (Sound Only)
Power on=[1];set system power on time,0:delay,1:fast
Power off=[1];set system auto power off time when system pending,0:off,1:30 seconds,2:1 minutes,3:2 minutes,
Auto Record with External Power=[0];set connect with power to start video recording automatically,0:off,1:on,
One Power Button to Auto Record=[0];set press power key to start video recording automatically,0:off,1:on,
Auto Off with External Power disconnected=[0],0:Immediately,1:delay 10s;2:record to low battery power off,
LED=[1];set LED flicker when recording,0:off,1:on,
Charge from USB Host=[0]; when connecting with USB host, charge camera or not,0:on,1:off

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club