Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0 Tdci Glow Plug Light

Jonny2512

Hi guys

I'm new to the site but more importantly new to fords and the focus. I've recently bought a 59 plate 2.0 tdci zetec s, but have a concern that I haven't seen a glow plug light on the dash. The car starts and runs fine but was wondering if it's me that's not looking in the right place or it's another light or something.

Thank you in advance

Jonny

I was on here last year asking the same question, it turns out that you only really see it when it's very cold, e.g. below minus. It amazes me how the car manages to start without even giving you the glow plug light...

The modern Focus engines don't really need the glow plugs to start unless it's very cold. I think the longest I've seen mine on for a few seconds.

Thank you for your replies. I will do a lights diagnostics check to see if the light is working ok, then as the coldest it's been when I've started the car was +3 degrees I'll just keep my eye on it as it gets colder :-)

Mine only comes on first thing in the morning if it is below about 3-4 degrees.

The car is in the shade too so gets no sun. Even below zero it is barely on for more than a second.

Don't place too much faith in the lamp. I recently clipped a bulb across the glow plugs and found that although the dash lamp only stays on for 1 or 2 seconds the plugs are being energised for around 5 secs. I've found that if I count to 5 before operating the starter it starts much better.

Yeah to be honest I don't tend to start it as soon as I turn the key anyway with not seeing the light I wanted to just give it chance :-)

Don't place too much faith in the lamp. I recently clipped a bulb across the glow plugs and found that although the dash lamp only stays on for 1 or 2 seconds the plugs are being energised for around 5 secs. I've found that if I count to 5 before operating the starter it starts much better.

The lamp is just the time during which the car will not (or should not be) started.

With the power start button on my car, the engine will not turn over until the light goes out.

Most Diesels (especially newer ones) will keep the glow plugs on (without the lamp) when the engine is cold to try and warm the engine quicker to meet the efficiency and emission targets.

Good point, but as engines get a few miles under their belt that time may well be too short. Mine's just topped 100K and I find that waiting a few more seconds definitely helps.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club