Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta 2001 Engine Misfire

tvoakes74

Hi, I have a 2001 Fiesta - since last Friday the engine has been misfiring. Had a diagnostic test done in it which revealed misfire in 'pot 2' and told it was a lead problem. To cut a long story short, Ive changed the plugs and changed the leads but still misfiring in pot 2. Ive had the leads checked and all the leads are sparking with the exception of lead 2 (brand new leads) ..... What do I do?? Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated - i cant take slumming it with the peasants on the buses much longer haha

Thanks - just bought ignition coil so hopefully that will solve the problem haha

Hi Mike, no I don't have one of those - is that the tool used for diagnostic? I did have a mobile mechanic do diagnostic testing and it was he who came up with plugs/lead (didnt mention ignition coil tho!).

Hopefully the coil will solve the problems otherwise back to the drawing board! Would it be worth compression testing for the misfire if the coil isnt the problem?

Sorry - thats probably a daft question I know but I can barely figure out where the petrol goes lol

A multimeter is a must have if u mess around with ur car start off bout 20 quid it's not fault code reader it's a device for checking electrical circuits u could check coil pack wit it an if coil don't fix it next step compression check if that's all good next step test wiring from coil plug to ecu

Hi Mick

plugs changed = misfire still present

Leads changed = misfire still present

Coil changed = misfire almost completely gone, very intermittently i can hear the slight misfire - not at regular intervals and only when the car is idling and only very slight! No misfire when car is bring driven!!

Compression check an if u had diagnostic machine u could swap fuel injectors an see if fault changes cylinder

if the problem is still there then most probably is an injector problem.

Let us know

Its gone from a major misfire where I could feel it through the pedals and it sounded like I had a bag of spanners under the body to just an occasional splutter when at idle, barely noticeable.

My uncle is gonna check the air intake and injectors but he doesn't have the machine to do compression test ...... He must be sick of the sight of me and my car haha

Interesting to note that the ignition coil that was removed was NOT a Ford original, it looked like it was from a scrap yard so maybe this car has had this problem in the past with a previous owner

No all coil packs go on ford very common problem sometimes non genuine spark plugs can cause misfire

You cant feel but you can hear it but very very intermittently and very slight ..... Sounds like a little low burp, but as I say its not all the time, not at regular intervals etc

Sounds like a burp, can just hear a slight change in the engine noise similar to the noise when revs drop

Okay, just check the injectors, any check engine lights after you replaced your coil pack or nothing?

Nothing at all!

Will check the injectors tomorrow and report back what theyre like!

Okay mate. You can also check the fuel pressure to see that everything works fine.