Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blown Fuse Changing Bulbs

Jockstar

I've probably done something stupid here so feel free to point my mistake out to me. So here goes:

As per a separate thread, I've been changing a lot of bulbs in my car such as LED sidelights, LED reg. plate bulbs, new dipped headlight bulbs etc. I bought another pair of LED sidelight bulbs (the same as the ones I fitted in the headlights) as I wanted to replace the inside boot light bulb.

Obviously when I opened the boot, the light came on and I removed the bulb when it was still powered up. I then fitted the LED bulb which initially didn't work. Knowing that LED Bulbs have to be fitted the right way round, I removed the LED, flipped it 180 degrees and refitted it. It started working so I closed the boot.

I then went into the front of the car to measure up the interior light. When I opened the driver's door, the interior light came on as normal. I removed the plastic lens cover and switched the interior light off. I then removed the bulb and measured it (42mm). When I went to re-fit the bulb, it fell down and landed next to the gear stick (didn't smash). When I did get the bulb back in, it wouldn't come on. I then removed the bulb again to take a closer look but the connection inside the glass seemed intact, and when I shook the bulb I couldn't hear anything rattling about. So I installed the bulb again and put the lens cover back on (still wasn't working).

I then opened the boot again and now the boot light wasn't working. I put the original bulb back inside the boot but it also wouldn't work. I'm crap with electrics but I assumed that at this point there must be a blown fuse. So I had a peak inside the fuse box under the glove box. Fuse F80 (10amp) looked like the interior light and low and behold the fuse was blown. I can only assume that the boot light and interior light are protected by the same fuse.

My question to those in the know is simple.........how did I blow the fuse? Is the LED bulb inappropriate for a boot light? Was it something I did (most likely). I don't want to buy a fuse and then end up repeating the same mistake. And I don't want to fit different style bulbs if it's dangerous.

So what do you think?

The Focus is very prone to blowing courtesy light fuses when the bulbs are twiddled with.

Don't worry, I've blown that fuse loads of times.

It is strongly recommended to remove the courtesy light fuse before swapping the bulbs.

Ok thanks for the reply. I've ordered a new festoon 42mm LED bulb. I'll not bother replacing the fuse until I've fitted my new bulbs :)

As clive says its a common Focus issue, I have 130 spare fuses in my boot, all different amps for when im mucking about with wiring/bulbs :D

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club