Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 Focus Dial Sweep After Battery Change!

brett_j

Hi all!

I've recently had my focus lose its speed whilst driving and dial sweeping every time i start the engine, i replaced the VSS and that sorted the speedo out and a new calcium battery as the one in it when i bought one was lead. The sweeping stopped for a few starts but now its back!
The battery is giving me 12v w/o engine running and 14v with the engine running, so just like to know if it could possibly be the dials playing up? I know they can be a weak point on early focuses but want to make sure before i part with any more money!

dial sweep is a dash test it should stop after a few turns and starts of the key it indicates a low battery youre battery by the sounds of it needs a charge it can be a faulty cell even in a new battery so ide have a free test done on it ive had a new battery before where after 1 day it was tested and had a faulty cell so ide start with a free test its not a cluster fault it means the battery is low and causing the dash to not retain memory its also possible the lead acid battery has damaged the smart charge system

Thanks for that, il get that checked out as it'll be slightly annoying if the battery is dead! Just to make sure though, the battery fitted is a 063, is that the right one? as I've seen a few places saying a 075 (I think) is the correct one?

what make is the battery should be a silver calcium battery if the battery and cells are okay it suggests the lead battery has caused damage to the smart charge under the bonnet check the fuses theres one there for the smart charge

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the long reply, haven't had a chance thanks to work!

I've checked this morning the fuses, all ok. The battery is a Lion 063 40Ah Calcium battery.

I've read a few articles this morning about how to check the smart charge system, but unsure how to follow the steps.
What would be the best way to test it?

You cant with out an osciloscope the battery is at fault no foubt about it the dial sweep says the battery has either a faulty cell or low charge have a free test done if it helps ive never heard of that battery is it a double calcium either way have a garage do a free test

Yea il pop down to Halfords or something and get it checked, il be a little upset if so as its almost brand new! It was bought from euro car parts

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club