Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Burning Smell At Around 90Mph

The Bear

Hi guys, apologies for the amount of posts tonight.... but may as well get the queries out there haha!

Was ''pressing on'' in ma's fusion and at 90mph (on my friend's private track ;)) there was a definite burning smell. I switched on and off the A/C and it did it with or without that on.

I've never encountered this before . And when I went slower and dropped to 70 it went away.

Any ideas what I should be checking here?

Thanks.

Steve,.

• Like 1

Probably the exhaust heated up burning off whatever is stuck to it although it could be anything.

Assuming your engine isn't over heating, cooling fan works and good level of coolants etc

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Thanks guys. Yep, no overheating or anything like that. I'm changing plugs next week so i'll get a good luck at the manifold and see if there's an oil leak on to the manifold or something like that :)

Probably your pants on fire for the 'Porky pies' about being on a track :d

• Like 3

But I was... it was a friends' track. And it was private haha ;)

Its funny, ive got the same problem, exept it happens above 130!

(safely off road of course) Just kidding, at lower speeds (under 80) it will be the tyres and the clutch, and at higher speeds the exhaust manifold, cat/ heatshields, the cat can smell quite strongly, it can get very hot when driven hard, when you are racing you get used to and recognise the different smells (eg the difference between burning clutch, brakes etc)

In normal driving a lot of these things stay fairly cool but if you drive harder they get a lot hotter, ive got an EGT(exhaust gas temperature) gauge - goes up to 1200 degrees! manifold/ cat can reack 700/800 degrees, it could be just dirt, mud water on the exhaust (depends on the smell)

Obvious answer is to keep you foot off the throttle and keep it below 70mph!

• Like 1

Thanks, err, FOCA ;) lol

Yeah, don't worry I'm not in to thrashing the pants off it. But my car's a 2.5 V6 Omega and doing 90 is effortless..... I was just curious as to what a smaller car (albeit with a 1.6) would feel like at the same speed..... a tad scary is the answer haha ;)

I also know that it doesn't take much of an oil leak to make a huuuuuge mess so I'm wondering if (as you say) some oil or something else is getting on the manifold. I suppose there's no stopping the cat getting covered in crap.

It just concerned me as it was quite strong and distinctly went away when I dropped speed.....then distinctly smelt again when I hit 90! Weird.

Surely not many people with friends who have a private track, you must be a lucky man..

• Like 1

Surprising how many of these 'Private Tracks' you hear of over the forums. Hmm.....

Binding brakes could be an issue.

LOL ;)

I've checked the brakes and they're not binding at all :)

Thanks, err, FOCA ;) lol

Yeah, don't worry I'm not in to thrashing the pants off it. But my car's a 2.5 V6 Omega and doing 90 is effortless..... I was just curious as to what a smaller car (albeit with a 1.6) would feel like at the same speed..... a tad scary is the answer haha ;)

I also know that it doesn't take much of an oil leak to make a huuuuuge mess so I'm wondering if (as you say) some oil or something else is getting on the manifold. I suppose there's no stopping the cat getting covered in crap.

It just concerned me as it was quite strong and distinctly went away when I dropped speed.....then distinctly smelt again when I hit 90! Weird.

Those vauxhall omega drink fuel effortlessly too.

Don't worry too much about it foca is spot on

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Thanks mate :)

Out of interest how do you go about fitting a manifold temp gauge?

Thanks mate :)

Out of interest how do you go about fitting a manifold temp gauge?

You can drill and tap the exhaust manifold to fit the (temp) sensor, or a less invasive way would be to put the sensor on the surface of the manifold and heat wrap the manifold, if you do an EGR delete you can put the sensor on an EGR blanking plate instead of the EGR cooler, the gauge itself is just like fitting any other gauge,(eg guage pod, or the like) like a voltmeter, boost gauge etc

Thanks FOCA. Yeah I don't fancy tapping a hole in the manifold in case I balls it up lol.

What do you gain from blocking off the EGR apart from removing the need to clean it when it gets clogged?

You dump nasty carbon into your inlet manifold and back through your engine, ;)

Thanks George. Won't it seriously affect your emissions though? If the excess NOx isn't able to be dispersed?

theres pros and cons with everything, I understand the reasoning behind egr valves, I just dont agree with the method they use, after all, years of carbon/air mix going back through your induction clogging everything up and causing increased wear aint going to do you any favours with a emission test is it.

Yeah completely agree. I just meant would it affect an emissions test for an MOT. If not then it makes sense to do imo :)

I Havant heard of one failing yet been blanked but thats not to say it cant and wont happen, any car can fail a emission test for a multitude of things these days but keeping it well serviced and the occasional blast out all helps, not servicing your car and driving like miss daisy 24/7 does not.

Completely agree mate! Talking of servicing I have a couple of Qs if that's ok.... I've been told NGKs are appropriate for this car. They good to use? And the air filter looks to have a small filter about the size of 4 oxo cubes next to it (looks like a breather filter as a breather line comes out of the valve cover to the air filter assembly).....if I buy an OE air filter will it come with a replacement breather filter?

A replacement pad filter (as Ford call it) doesn't come as a standard air filter kit afaik.

From Ford it is part (Finis) number 1694449 and is about £1.75.

post-28494-0-70924400-1392319636_thumb.j

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club